Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Ummm, he is a 30 year old midfielder who was playing vfl this year. That contract is serious overs.

$700k+ is more than max Holmes signed for per annum.

We'd probably have to renegotiate it prior to the trade, extra year to lower to pa cost, + trigger for extra year as incentive.

Is ugly anyway you spin it. I think he has more utility the WB are using him but him plus Smith forces someone out who is already doing the job + is contracted.

Just asking the question. I don't think Mcrae would be free.
Macrae is dead weight to them.

If we're paying the contract, we wouldn't be giving anything of value up.

Quite the opposite really, he'd lessen the capital required for Smith in a trade if that's the path all parties want to take.

Family commitments could be playing a part though, ala Goldstein.

Can hardly blame the guy if he needs to stay in Melbourne as a result.
700k guaranteed for 3 years. If staying in Melbourne is important then try and outlast Bevo.
Play under the new coach. Could be gone anytime from now in reality.

Going to St.K is akin to retiring from work but still going to work.

Of all the reasons for NO to Macrae.

1. His salary and how it fits in our cap.
2. The draft selections needed to trade for him.

Irrelevancy

3. How it affects Clohesy and Knevitt.

Bazlenka takes a spot away from them as well. Not as if we're turning our backs on him now is it.

Like @catempire I think North or maybe the Tigers would suit Macrae best. An experienced head to guide a developing group of young mids.
Tigers. North.
Why would he even bother.

He's an idiot if he chooses either. Saints may be shit but at least they have a pulse that could make it somewhat understandable. Replace Crouch and hope RTB can fire them to finals.

A lot of people said the same thing about Isaac Smith and that turned out very well

Not so sure about that. If memory serves me correct we were stuck with a very stagnate style and had been exploring Parsons on the wing. Isaac Smith as a left foot runner and ball carrier had a consensus of him being a breath of fresh air. Who else other than Duncan were wing options....Blicavs?

We ran nine blokes through the midfield last Thursday, I’m sure we could find a spot for Macrae. Especially with guys like Tuohy, Duncan, Bews on the way out. He might not take their spots, but magnets will be shuffled.

Maybe. Bews has only played a few games this year though and I'm running on the assumption that Smith is coming.

Not so sure about that. If memory serves me correct we were stuck with a very stagnate style and had been exploring Parsons on the wing. Isaac Smith as a left foot runner and ball carrier had a consensus of him being a breath of fresh air. Who else other than Duncan were wing options....Blicavs?

I understand the role we had Smith in for
But people at the time questioned his age.
Hence my comment regarding one year too late.

Yeah agreed.

Over that two year period of Smith, Jenkins, Higgins, & Steven as recruits, a lot of comments centred around "Has anyone told the club that we're going into 2021, and it's not 2015?" from memory.

Could've done without Higgins, Jenkins, & Steven, but Smith will go down as a Geelong hero (imagine saying that 10 years ago)

Astute pickup when many - myself included - questioned it at the time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers. North.
Why would he even bother.

He's an idiot if he chooses either. Saints may be shit but at least they have a pulse that could make it somewhat understandable. Replace Crouch and hope RTB can fire them to finals.

It would depend perhaps what he may be motivated by. He’s achieved success. Maybe now he’d prefer to play in a team where he’s guaranteed a senior gig and can be an important contributor to a group of young players development. That may for him be more appealing than going to a successful team but not necessarily being part of their possible success.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I'm actually not to worried about McCrae and his age/ability to play but I appreciate it wasn't presented that way. I was thinking more along the lines that solutions to our midfield problems have emerged from this time last year and that we're pretty well stocked short-term (until Danger/Guthrie are gone).

Of all the reasons for NO to Macrae.

1. His salary and how it fits in our cap.
2. The draft selections needed to trade for him.

Irrelevancy

3. How it affects Clohesy and Knevitt.

Bazlenka takes a spot away from them as well. Not as if we're turning our backs on him now is it.

At his reported contract I'd be expecting either a Bowes or Ablett type deal. Bulldogs covering a chunk of his salary or throw in something to get us to take on his salary.

Tigers. North.

I think you are being very hard on Stk , they havent got a flash history everyone knows that

However Geel played sensational football flogging Pt Ade by 84 points on their home ground , 3 weeks prior the Saints stood us up 5 goals and then killed us , i think most people would say that is a pretty fair form line for the Saints . They then followed that up by beating Carlton , who at the time of that game had to win that match

They have had plenty of false dawns the Saints , and next is year is a crunch year for them , but i think they might be heading in the right direction and given how weak the comp is at present then who knows where they might end up next year

I think you are being very hard on Stk , they havent got a flash history everyone knows that

However Geel played sensational football flogging Pt Ade by 84 points on their home ground , 3 weeks prior the Saints stood us up 5 goals and then killed us , i think most people would say that is a pretty fair form line for the Saints . They then followed that up by beating Carlton , who at the time of that game had to win that match

They have had plenty of false dawns the Saints , and next is year is a crunch year for them , but i think they might be heading in the right direction and given how weak the comp is at present then who knows where they might end up next year
You're being kind to them.

Only foundation club still to record win 1000.
Only 21 finals wins.
27 spoons.

They haven't even been hard rebuilding the last 5 years as they've been trading players in frequently, and the Hawks have gone down and come back up quicker.

They're just not a very good club or team, I don't hate them, it's just the reality they live in.

It’s incredible the comments about not needing Macrae when 5 days ago everyone on this site and the football world in general was saying the Cats were going to get smashed by Port in the midfield and they were the favourites. And that was before Stewart dropped out.

You're being kind to them.

Only foundation club still to record win 1000.
Only 21 finals wins.
27 spoons.

They haven't even been hard rebuilding the last 5 years as they've been trading players in frequently, and the Hawks have gone down and come back up quicker.

They're just not a very good club or team, I don't hate them, it's just the reality they live in.
They are a garbage club.

1 flag in 127 years of VFL/AFL footy, what the **** is that.

They have only ever even qualified for 7 grand finals.

St Kilda isn't even a has been like Carlton or Essendon they are a never ****ing was.

Macrae is a 6'4", triple AA, ball-winning, big-bodied mid who has just turned 30.

I'm not entirely sure why he's not getting much game time at the Dogs, other than their midfield is stacked and Bevo is a few stubbies short of a six pack. I very much doubt it's because he's not capable of still performing at an elite level given the right environment and opportunity.

So if we can get him for a reasonable price (in terms of both trade and salary), then we should 100% go for it. He'd be massive for our midfield.

It’s incredible the comments about not needing Macrae when 5 days ago everyone on this site and the football world in general was saying the Cats were going to get smashed by Port in the midfield and they were the favourites. And that was before Stewart dropped out.
I agree. The biggest problem in our midfield is that aside from Danger, and Stewart when he's in there, we lack power. Our mids are young and/or small. Macrae changes that dynamic significantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back