Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

The AFL might need to step in and ensure that there's a bit of a gap between Smith and Brayshaw arriving, and then Reid landing at Geelong.

If it all happens at once there'll be supporters of 17 other clubs marching down the highway and burning our stadium to the ground. Richmond supporters will be leading the charge.
Tall poppy syndrome, resorted to by mediocrity throughout all of history.

Instead of having a go at us, maybe the should try being better themselves.

It is overs for Macrae. Particularly for playing VFL but Max Holmes signed for more than $700,000.
It is, but if we can help pay for Smith by taking Macrae's contract off their hands, and then renegotiating to spread it across an extra year, that would be a massive win for us.

Macrae won't come unless guaranteed a spot in AFL. Who do you drop from our best 23 for that to happen?
If it's best 23, then I'd say he can be sub. If we look at subs this year, Bews, Duncan, Clark, Knevitt, Mullin, O'Connor etc. I think he can be sub. If it's best 22......Atkins?

Ummm, he is a 30 year old midfielder who was playing vfl this year. That contract is serious overs.

$700k+ is more than max Holmes signed for per annum.
He is playing in the VFL as they have a strong midfield, and until last weekend, they were described as the best list of players in the competition. We were described as the worst midfield in the top 12 teams.

I think you are being very hard on Stk , they havent got a flash history everyone knows that

However Geel played sensational football flogging Pt Ade by 84 points on their home ground , 3 weeks prior the Saints stood us up 5 goals and then killed us , i think most people would say that is a pretty fair form line for the Saints . They then followed that up by beating Carlton , who at the time of that game had to win that match

They have had plenty of false dawns the Saints , and next is year is a crunch year for them , but i think they might be heading in the right direction and given how weak the comp is at present then who knows where they might end up next year
Talking up a team that faced two sides going into final preparations mode with not much to play for

Typical saints with the supporters getting their hopes up again for next year…they will never amount up to anything in my lifetime let alone while they still have Lyon as the coach

Not untouchable but you need to convince the player. I think his work this year has been disappointing but also we sent him out to tag or sent him to play wing in horrendous conditions etc so I'm not writing him off like others.

Don't know that the club would say no to trading him but also don't think they'd drive it

Yeah i agree.
Because hes developing well and hes close with clark bruhn henry conway etc from juniors i doubt we would want to push him. The dogs would need to entice him and initiate it.
But like happened with the hawks and cooper stephens if he wanted to go we wouldnt stand in his way.

It is, but if we can help pay for Smith by taking Macrae's contract off their hands, and then renegotiating to spread it across an extra year, that would be a massive win for us.

True but i think by 2027/28 macrae would be vfl and not sure he would want to come to us.

Talking up a team that faced two sides going into final preparations mode with not much to play for

Typical saints with the supporters getting their hopes up again for next year…they will never amount up to anything in my lifetime let alone while they still have Lyon as the coach

Thank goodness the Magpies beat the Lions by a point when looking no chance at all - that kept our top 4 spot , otherwise we had to beat Stk - and how they played in the 2nd half that might not have been a fait accompli .

I hate things like this. It is unprofessional.
Yeah agree. Not a fan.

If he feels aggrieved by the Dogs he can very easily leak that to a journalist once the trade has gone through.

Still not ideal obviously, but at least someone is doing your dirty work for you and there's a bit of ambiguity involved.

Stomping your feet on social media just feels like something a 15 year old would do, and he probably got told that, hence deleting the post.

He signed that contract in 2022 coming off 3 all Australians in a row, a Gary Ayres award and leading the league in disposals. Easy for you to sit there now and say now it is a terrible contract. He was easily in there best 4-5 players at the club.
It wasn’t a terrible contract when he signed it.

But it is a terrible contract now.

that contract is the bulldogs problem, any acquiring team is only paying for future value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah agree. Not a fan.

If he feels aggrieved by the Dogs he can very easily leak that to a journalist once the trade has gone through.

Still not ideal obviously, but at least someone is doing your dirty work for you and there's a bit of ambiguity involved.

Stomping your feet on social media just feels like something a 15 year old would do, and he probably got told that, hence deleting the post.

This would be the only concern in bringing him in.
His profile is massive. The club will be put in the spotlight if ever he does transgress. So while there is Bailey Smith the footballer, there is also the business side of Bailey Smith which is sure to place unwanted attention on some of our players.

He is playing in the VFL as they have a strong midfield, and until last weekend, they were described as the best list of players in the competition. We were described as the worst midfield in the top 12 teams.
Not sure I'd say he's in the VFL really. 3 games in the 2s with 19 games in the seniors, though granted 4 were sub.

I'm more concerned on the way he's playing. Big slow accumulator being played away from the guts is hard to know whether Beveridge is an idiot or if he's being forced by a horrendously unbalanced list.

Not sure I'd say he's in the VFL really. 3 games in the 2s with 19 games in the seniors, though granted 4 were sub.

I'm more concerned on the way he's playing. Big slow accumulator being played away from the guts is hard to know whether Beveridge is an idiot or if he's being forced by a horrendously unbalanced list.

I think that is correct , he has lost his pace and not being harsh but i think he is finished as an AFL player

If it was back in the day where there is no huge money , late 60s , early 70s , ok hes played for the Bulldogs , slowed right down , he is 30 , next year he would be Captain/Coach of Sunshine in the VFA

Hmm i like Macrae but i don't think we need him and i am not sure who he replaces in the best 22

If we get Smith for mids we have

Danger
Guthrie (hopefully)
Smith
Holmes
Bruhn
Bowes
Atkins

And part timers

Miers
Mannagh
Close

I personally don't see him as a player that could play all over the ground like Tuohy, Duncan, Blics, MOC

And he isn't pushing out a forward or a defender

So where do we play him???

We also have others not listed above Knevitt, Clark that could be players in the future but if we give the games to Macrae they stagnate

If we get Smith for mids we have

Danger
Guthrie (hopefully)
Smith
Holmes
Bruhn
Bowes
Atkins

Ah yeah so Danger will be lucky to play 15 games next year, C Guthrie will be lucky to play at all assuming his body keeps up the decline it obviously is in. After missing two years of football, who knows what player we get if Guthrie does come back. So that is at least 1 spot in the midfield we know Macrae would walk into without too much trouble.

All other options are kids who we'd like to give games to, and will as we do throughout the season, but to suggest Macrae wouldnt have a role here is stupid. He is a high quality player in a position of need. If we can find a way to do it and he wants to come we should jump at the chance.

Was looking at a best 23 situation next year if we get Smith in

B: ZGuthrie JHenry Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart SDK Humphries
C: Holmes Bruhn Dempsey
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Neale OHenry
R: Conway Dangerfield Smith
Int: Blicavs Mannagh Bowes Guthrie
Sub Atkins
Emg Duncan/COS MOC Clark

And yes i know some of these players will not play 23 games hell some may net even get back to being good enough who knows

It is actually really hard picking a team

Biggest worries in this team are Conway Guthrie and Danger

Was looking at a best 23 situation next year if we get Smith in

B: ZGuthrie JHenry Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart SDK Humphries
C: Holmes Bruhn Dempsey
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Neale OHenry
R: Conway Dangerfield Smith
Int: Blicavs Mannagh Bowes Guthrie
Sub Atkins
Emg Duncan/COS MOC Clark

And yes i know some of these players will not play 23 games hell some may net even get back to being good enough who knows

It is actually really hard picking a team

Biggest worries in this team are Conway Guthrie and Danger
Health permitting, it's a bloody exciting side.

Great blend of youth and experience, much like we're doing now.

Kolo SDK Zuthrie
Hump Henry Stewart
Macrae Holmes Dempsey
Miers Neale Mannagh
Stengle Cameron Close
Conway Dangerfield Smith
Blicavs Bruhn O.Henry Bowes Atkins
Em Guthrie, Mullin OConnor O'Sullivan Rohan? Knevitt, Clark Duncan?

Looks pretty fine to me
FRP 24, 2ND ROUND 2025
3RD ROUND 25 BACK

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back