Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Kolo SDK Zuthrie
Hump Henry Stewart
Macrae Holmes Dempsey
Miers Neale Mannagh
Stengle Cameron Close
Conway Dangerfield Smith
Blicavs Bruhn O.Henry Bowes Atkins
Em Guthrie, Mullin OConnor O'Sullivan Rohan? Knevitt, Clark Duncan?

Looks pretty fine to me
FRP 24, 2ND ROUND 2025
3RD ROUND 25 BACK
I'd be switching Macrae & Holmes if we're going down that path.

Macrae can't play as a wingman in 2024/25 in an elite side. He was never quick, and he's lost a yard or two.

He gets killed on transition, and our slingshot gameplan is built on running in numbers and tearing the opposition up with speed and precision like we did on Thursday.

He's a big bodied accumulator in the guts getting it out to Smith, Holmes, & Dempsey or he's not best 22 for mine.

Think Tom Mitchell in 2023 with the Daicos boys. That's the model we should be looking at if we're going down this route.

I'd be switching Macrae & Holmes if we're going down that path.

Macrae can't play as a wingman in 2024 in an elite side. He was never quick, and he's lost a yard to two.

He gets killed on transition, and our slingshot gameplan is built on running in numbers and tearing the opposition up with speed and precision like we did on Thursday.

He's a big bodied accumulator in the guts getting it out to Smith, Holmes, & Dempsey or he's not best 22 for mine.

Think Tom Mitchell in 2023 with the Daicos boys.
Agreed Macrae just isn't quick enough for any spot except inside mid

I would rather Will Brodie than Jack Mcrae for that role or Devon Robertson.

Maybe George Stevens is ready for that by next year?

Was looking at a best 23 situation next year if we get Smith in

B: ZGuthrie JHenry Kolodjashnij
HB: Stewart SDK Humphries
C: Holmes Bruhn Dempsey
HF: Close Cameron Miers
F: Stengle Neale OHenry
R: Conway Dangerfield Smith
Int: Blicavs Mannagh Bowes Guthrie
Sub Atkins
Emg Duncan/COS MOC Clark

And yes i know some of these players will not play 23 games hell some may net even get back to being good enough who knows

It is actually really hard picking a team

Biggest worries in this team are Conway Guthrie and Danger
Health permitting, it's a bloody exciting side.

Great blend of youth and experience, much like we're doing now.

Yeah 'health wise' that side has got TOP 4 but likely TOP 2 written all over it as we keep growing so much natural young talent with both smalls, mediums and talls. Toby Conway is a real key, as I've long regarded him as a TOP 3 ruckman in league but physical development for young immature bodied ruckman can take time with Max Gnawn being exhibit one but it's a time worth waiting for if they are extra talented like Toby is, however his current foot injury maybe a ongoing concern. But touch wood and let's hope Toby has good run from here-on as there's much to be excited about.

I'm fairly certain Connor O'Sullivan who's going to be 'A GUN' will be AFL ready 2025 and with guaranteed team injuries, he'll more than likely get sufficient games in 2025 to start showing all and sundry how good a footballer this kid is going to be. I know I wrote at season beginning that we have our best youth at club since 2001 period but to see so many of them come on so quickly, especially in back half of 2024 season has been a wonderful surprise. GO CATS !!!

This would be the only concern in bringing him in.
His profile is massive. The club will be put in the spotlight if ever he does transgress. So while there is Bailey Smith the footballer, there is also the business side of Bailey Smith which is sure to place unwanted attention on some of our players.
Not long ago we had a player travel home from interstate and get blotto to the point of being hospitalised and our culture calmly dealt with it.

A few words on social media aren't likely to alarm our mature and level headed hierarchy.

I wouldn't mind mcrae at all, could plonk him inside the contest for 70-80% game time and just accumulate inside possessions and clearances to dish to our fantastic outside players.
We NEED someone we can rely on to get it 30 times a game consistently, and he might still be that player.

I wouldn't mind mcrae at all, could plonk him inside the contest for 70-80% game time and just accumulate inside possessions and clearances to dish to our fantastic outside players.
We NEED someone we can rely on to get it 30 times a game consistently, and he might still be that player.
At worse he helps the kids develop the inside game that is lacking at the club atm…I have full trust that the club knows what they are doing in any case if it gets Smith on a cheaper trade pick wise it’s well worth it to be able to use those picks for something else

To be fair, if we let Tanner Bruhn actually play more than 65% of the game, he probably would.

At worse he helps the kids develop the inside game that is lacking at the club atm…I have full trust that the club knows what they are doing in any case if it gets Smith on a cheaper trade pick wise it’s well worth it to be able to use those picks for something else
I'm only lukewarm on Macrae.

Good player, yes, but the decline from 2022 is a worry and there is the question of whether he would be standing in the way of the development of a younger player for not quite enough gain.

The thing that helps develop kids most is decent, controlled exposure at AFL level. It's a difficult juggling game but at the end of the day it's not ideal to have players rotting in the VFL when they are slightly too good for it.

I'd also be concerned about the lack of flexibility. We do already have a couple of inside midfielders who struggle when played elsewhere (Bruhn, Atkins) and adding a third could be a problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fans get so obsessed with players getting it 30+ times. It's basically pointless. We dominated Port while nobody got 30 touches. Bruhn, Atkins and Bowes were all super and only got 18 touches each.

There were 3 players who got 30+ touches in the 2007 GF thumping. Can anyone name them?
Peter Burgoyne, Matthew Scarlett and... nah ya got me.

PS: I went and looked it up on AFL Tables. Haha. Nicely played

I'm only lukewarm on Macrae.

Good player, yes, but the decline from 2022 is a worry and there is the question of whether he would be standing in the way of the development of a younger player for not quite enough gain.

The thing that helps develop kids most is decent, controlled exposure at AFL level. It's a difficult juggling game but at the end of the day it's not ideal to have players rotting in the VFL when they are slightly too good for it.

I'd also be concerned about the lack of flexibility. We do already have a couple of inside midfielders who struggle when played elsewhere (Bruhn, Atkins) and adding a third could be a problem.
Atkins is the most likely to be pushed out or moved to backline imo if we get McRae

Atkins is the most likely to be pushed out or moved to backline imo if we get McRae
... where he's not great, IMO. Atkins has two major assets at AFL level - hard as a cat's head, tackles like a mad thing. Both of those are largely wasted in defence.

... where he's not great, IMO. Atkins has two major assets at AFL level - hard as a cat's head, tackles like a mad thing. Both of those are largely wasted in defence.
He was pretty good down there last time I saw him roaming it could be a good solution for him to add another rotation in the middle

Wait. You actually think he plays such low time on ground just because we don’t “let” him play more. Haha bloody hell
Yes. Our centre square brigade typically all get 65% of the game. Bruhn, Atkins, Parfitt all got roughly 65% time when playing on-ball, the same goes for Dangerfield when playing in the middle.

It is the major reason why none of them rack up big numbers. It's not like the Dogs where Treloar, Bont, Libba etc all get 80%+.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back