Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Yeah, more or less.

If McRae chooses Geelong then I think that's a good sign - or at least not a bad one.

That no club has been named suggests he may have chosen Geelong.

Add to that Smith's (now deleted) post and I reckon we're going to eventually find out that Smith wasn't/isn't the problem at Footscray and that Darcy (who is a ing peanut of the highest order), Bevo, and Bains (who oversaw a cluster at St Kilda) are more likely to be the issue.

That post wasn't the greatest idea in all history. Bevo may well be a divisive idiot, but it's best to be patient and unload on him after you've retired.

They would keep an eye on whether the agreement expanded and the relative value add of that expansion to Cotton On though.
Any changes to allow for CPI component and general cost of living changes would be acceptable and most likely be reflected in clauses built into those agreements. I think the AFL would only see a red flag if there was an abnormal increase to the contract value without a rationale explanation. Or if the tangible commercial return to the sponsor was impacted by less work the player was seen to be doing for them.

Hard to see the latter being an issue if Cotton On are already a sponsor of the club. Smith's profile and brand presence would only build for the brand once he lands at Geelong. I recall speaking to someone about the impact of Ablett Jnr returning to the club a few years ago - it was estimated that the commercial / financial benefit of him coming back was around $300k pa to the clubs bottom line. Things have changed a bit since then and given Smith's social media profile I'd take a stab and say the benefit to Geelong off field would be well north of $500k pa.

Since it's a discussion topic, here's our midfielders average TOG across this season

Some observations:
  • Knevitt's seriously impacted due to playing only minutes against Adelaide in round 2
  • Clark has played as the starting sub
  • Guthrie, Bruhn & Parfitt have all been subbed off early
  • The highest TOGs are the guys not purely playing as inside mids, with Holmes also spending good time playing from the backline

View attachment 2107318

A very clear example of how we run the midfield & TOG is looking at Tommy Stewart this year with the obvious difference in his TOG from full-time defender to inside mid after the Essendon game

Ignoring being subbed off, as a defender he only played less then 83% TOG twice, while as a midfielder he's only played more than 79% twice - he averaged 84.4% TOG playing as a defender and that drops to 77.6% as a mid

Stewart has also spoken about how the midfield group gets roatated to the bench more than the other players on the ground - so that's another reason he hasn't minded the move

View attachment 2107334

For another comparison, here's Jack Bowes career stats including his time at GC - noticeable drop in TOG since arriving at Geelong, and that's not simply due to the sub role but the team structure. And I'm going to guess he'd have the match fitness to run out for longer than he does

View attachment 2107328

View attachment 2107331
Some of us have explained the fact that we changed the way we run our midfield in 22 had an effect on tog and possession counts.

Yet some still seem to think that this player or that player are completely unfit or this player and that player don't do enough cause they don't average 25+ possessions.

I have yet to see 100% proof Bruhn for example can't play 80% each week.

Something changed in the coaching group between 2021 and 22 which stopped us from playing Danger, Selwood, Gola, Guthrie etc at 85% game time constantly as they decided that by doing that the players by the time they got finals they were cooked or carrying to many injuries to be completely on the ball.

I see we've come full circle back to the low ToG gibberish. A completely non credible pigshit justification.

Our mids are just middle of the road relying on a 34yo and halfback flanker for chop outs.

That post wasn't the greatest idea in all history. Bevo may well be a divisive idiot, but it's best to be patient and unload on him after you've retired.
Smith's? Nah - he's getting a lot of shit heaped on him. He should be allowed to at least hint that there are other factors at play.

I see we've come full circle back to the low ToG gibberish. A completely non credible pigshit justification.

Our mids are just middle of the road relying on a 34yo and halfback flanker for chop outs.
Maybe but somehow it's working though. Whether there's a true weakness there or not, it's being hidden from the competition for the most part

Last edited:
Head but somehow it's working though. Whether there's a true weakness there or not, it's being hidden from the competition for the most part
I agree we're covering up that crack well. But we aren't chasing Smith and linked to Macrae because we have a star studded midfield and we're just poaching guys to be insufferable campaigners.

Last edited:
Some of us have explained the fact that we changed the way we run our midfield in 22 had an effect on tog and possession counts.

Yet some still seem to think that this player or that player are completely unfit or this player and that player don't do enough cause they don't average 25+ possessions.

I have yet to see 100% proof Bruhn for example can't play 80% each week.

Something changed in the coaching group between 2021 and 22 which stopped us from playing Danger, Selwood, Gola, Guthrie etc at 85% game time constantly as they decided that by doing that the players by the time they got finals they were cooked or carrying to many injuries to be completely on the ball.

Here's Tanner's TOG averages across the season - yes they look a little on the lower side, but against WCE when we lost both Stewart & Humphries in the second quarter and it meant others stepped up in terms of playing time

He's obviously capable of it as shown, it's just not our structure

1726016153142.png

In reality Smith cotton on deal will probably be undervalued if he comes across to us..
Although as an influencer it's difficult to put a dollar value on likes & follows

Cal On Gettable saying Smith will go to the wire as Dogs want more then our first rounder and we aren't wanting to give more then this year's first. PSD threat already being mentioned lol.

Also said he thinks Macrae will go to Saints.

Last edited:
Not sold on Macrae. I don't think currently he passes the are you better than Tom Atkins benchmark. Historically, sure, but right here and right now we don't know. You can't really say he doesn't get a game because of Bont and Libba when Bevo is picking Harmes ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal On Gettable saying Smith will go to the wire as Dogs want more then our first rounder and we aren't wanting to give more then this year's first. PSD threat already being mentioned lol.

Also said he thinks MaCrae will go to Saints.
I have said all along it will end up being our first and either our second or future second with some other pick swaps

We need trade period bingo.
Threatening PSD. Centre tile.

If we are going to chase the Bulldogs #11, can we try this get his name right otherwise it's going to be a fun 3->4 years coming up

Jack(son) Macrae - there's no second capital letter in his surname
Hey now we have a tradition to **** up names on this board like Tohy or was it Toey :moustache:

I think the National Draft is a more realistic angle than the PSD.

Smith gets to nominate what draft he goes in if not traded and un-signed.

That is why I asked here the other day - "what club would take Smith in the ND before our R1 selection if he was in the draft?"

I think some clubs would look to snag him before us in the PSD because it's a throw at the stumps without giving up draft capital.

I'm not convinced clubs would be anywhere near as keen in the ND given that they'd need to give up a R1 selection inside ours + also calculating they'd be doing so for a guy with mental-health issues that indicates he doesn't want to be drafted by anyone but us.

It has danger signs written all over it for other clubs thinking about drafting him in the ND and I almost think he'd get through to our R1.

Doggies could play hardball here and end up with zilch (doubt it happens though).

I think the National Draft is a more realistic angle than the PSD.

Smith gets to nominate what draft he goes in if not traded and un-signed.

That is why I asked here the other day - "what club would take Smith in the ND before our R1 selection if he was in the draft?"

I think some clubs would look to snag him before us in the PSD because it's a throw at the stumps without giving up draft capital.

I'm not convinced clubs would be anywhere near as keen in the ND given that they'd need to give up a R1 selection inside ours + also calculating they'd be doing so for a guy with mental-health issues that indicates he doesn't want to be drafted by anyone but us.

It has danger signs written all over it for other clubs thinking about drafting him in the ND and I almost think he'd get through to our R1.

Doggies could play hardball here and end up with zilch (doubt it happens though).
It's not a huge contract. You'd be relying on clubs to not want to pick up a player who doesn't want to be there

Yeah, more or less.

If McRae chooses Geelong then I think that's a good sign - or at least not a bad one.

That no club has been named suggests he may have chosen Geelong.

Add to that Smith's (now deleted) post and I reckon we're going to eventually find out that Smith wasn't/isn't the problem at Footscray and that Darcy (who is a ing peanut of the highest order), Bevo, and Bains (who oversaw a cluster at St Kilda) are more likely to be the issue.

View attachment 2107376
Tim Watson on Sen the other day said he was part of filming some pre season training footage of the Dogs and Smith lost his shit and demanded they not show any footage, even tho filming was ticked off by the Dogs.

Hey now we have a tradition to **** up names on this board like Tohy or was it Toey :moustache:

I think I've seen like half a dozen different spellings of his surname over the past 24 hours - I'm wondering how many more we'll see before the end of the trade period

But I can really see things going like this if we sign him and the surname variations keep coming

Angry Spongebob Squarepants GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back