Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Why wouldn’t the Lions be a good fit? Add the two DeKoning brothers (no idea how) and they’ll be strong for another decade easy with the Ashcroft freebies.

First of all where is tdk playing? Omac cant play anywhere else.
As for sdk they have payne andrews and doedee locked in down back.
Then theres the salary cap issue im not sure they could fit him in.
And they have a lot of key older guys past their peak and their window is closing.
So im not sure why the DK brothers would want to go there unless its purely lifestyle.

Not sure if correct thread, but Josh Begley, former Eastern Ranges and then Bombers mid/fwd, has had 2 brilliant local years of footy.
Dominated the EFL GF today with 30+ possessions, and 4 goals- a brute with elite disposal.
Wonder if he will be another left field recruit next year, turning 27.
A fit modern day version of Stewart Dew?
Having seen him play, he's lethal, and looks to be a wasted talent, not that EFL is a poor league.

And they have a lot of key older guys past their peak and their window is closing.
So im not sure why the DK brothers would want to go there unless its purely lifestyle.
Doedees another injury away from retirement and big Oz can play somewhere else. Not in the Brisbane afl side, but somewhere else

Not sure if correct thread, but Josh Begley, former Eastern Ranges and then Bombers mid/fwd, has had 2 brilliant local years of footy.
Dominated the EFL GF today with 30+ possessions, and 4 goals- a brute with elite disposal.
Having seen him play, he's lethal, and looks to be a wasted talent, not that EFL is a poor league.
Would probably have to put a solid year in the VFL program?

Yeah I don’t see the decline you see, they’re going nowhere.

Big O ain’t young, he could easily play in tandem with TDK until he’s done, and Sam is twice as good as Payne and Doedee, Andrews, they showed last night how much they want him playing key defender on the talls.

Cap is an issue, but the good clubs get around that, regularly.

It’s possibly all a beat up anyway. Hope so as losing Sam would be a terrible idea.

Not to mention he is only 21.
I think some were expecting him to become a regular at that age.
Most players that size develop early 20's.

Exactly

So much whinging on this forum about Conway not being able to get on the park. But it is almost par that a ruck doesn’t get a solid run at it until they are at least 24/25 at the earliest. What Conway has shown on the field to date surpasses other ruckmen at the same age.

The issue is Conway probably needs another couple years before he can be reliable.

It’s why I’d like us to go after a 30 yr old ruck like Obrien to hold the fort for 2 years, leave SDK back as the FB / relief ruck.

Thats all fair and im not having a go but you didnt answer my question about which team up north would target the DK brothers and how? Theres no fit.
Sorry PO.
I’ll elaborate a little more.
These are just my thoughts. So be gentle.
They all fit depending on which moves they make.
Suns. Is a Yes.
Witts is almost finished. TDK upgrades their midfield BIG TIME.
SDK upgrades/replaces Sam Collins at FB who is turning 31 next year.
Swans yes. As above. They have Grundy who is average at best IMO. But some club would take him like the swans did. At $600k in salary he’s a bargain if you’re in the market for an upgrade from a large plodding big man.
His contract expires in 3years. TDK gives them both a ruck and a FF and SDK slots into there backline at either FB or CHB quite easily.
So Where do they save cash? Like all clubs do. Trade out salary that you’re comfortable with in covering with others.
Where do they gain draft collateral? Players traded like all clubs do.
For example Chad Warner trade would give them salary space plus 2 first rounders at least which would accommodate acquiring SDK I would think. The two picks inside 10? Or even a 3 way swap in a Warner for Reid for SdK plus a bag of draft picks swapped around. Don’t think we’d be against acquiring Harley with SdK being part of the acquisition. Would we? I wouldn’t. *** But that’s me be a wishful thinker.
TDK would be a free agent. So only salary is to be covered which Carlton can’t cover as they have already committed a large portion of their cap on Harry Charlie Paddy and Walsh… oh and Weitering.
Just a few types of examples of options out there in acquiring both IMO.
As I always say never say never and always expect the unexpected.
Cheers Bud.
2 more wins is all we want!!
GiddyUp Catters!!
FWIW if I was a betting man and I am I’d put half my cash on the Swans and the other half on Gold Coast.
But that’s me just having a punters mentality.

He's a big boy, he won't want to move interstate simply if his folks want to be Noosa retirees.
Like Tim Kelly is a big boy?
Or like Harley Reid is a big boy?
Like Danger was a big boy?
I could go on and on but I’ll stop whilst I’m ahead.
Sometimes being happy and content is just about being around those you love the most.
***Oh and it’s not Noosa… lol 😂
Cheers 🍻

Sometimes being happy and content is just about being around those you love the most.
Cheers 🍻
They went home, though - that’s different to following your folks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know if Josh will be one, but after trading for Smith we will be using late picks to complete our list. Oli Whiltshire was not playing at State league level and Lawson was mostly in the reserves. I don't really know who deserves the credit but picking up older players from lower leagues has been a major part of Geelongs sustained sucess.

This years winner of the James Podsiardly cup is Lawson Humphries, just ahead of Shawn Mannagh. Past winners of this Cup include Tim Kelly, Tom Stewart and Tom Atkins. It's all part of being the most innovative Football Club in Australia.

Its enough to make a bloke dream of another flag.

Gotta love them. Go Cats.

Crossley wont get picked up simply because hes not good enough, clubs really dont give a shit if a bloke stuffed up when they were a kid these days, it's not 1970 anymore.
Honestly, it depends on the role that wants filling.

If it's a Darcy Fort/Orren Stephenson/Ryan Abbott style of role - i.e. the "break glass in case of emergency" position - then I could see it happening.

If it's getting a rookie ruckman in on potential that he could one day be first ruck, then no.

Bluntly put, we need someone who can be a 4/10 level ruckman next year, if/when Conway gets injured. We don't need a young-but-raw ruckman who could eventually become a 7/10, we already have at least two of those.

Not at age 26, already having a man's body, in the EFL.

Humphries and Wiltshire were 20/21 when drafted, and they skinny kids who just perhaps lagged a little on the development curve.

If you're 90 kilos in the midfield, you'd want to be ripping the WAFL/SANFL/VFL to shreds, not the EFL.

Not at age 26, already having a man's body, in the EFL.

Humphries and Wiltshire were 20/21 when drafted, and they skinny kids who just perhaps lagged a little on the development curve.

If you're 90 kilos in the midfield, you'd want to be ripping the WAFL/SANFL/VFL to shreds, not the EFL.
With all due respect playing EFL over state leagues is the prime definition that you just arent up to the standard, theres 40 year old ex AFL D Graders taking the piss at that level means next to nothing.

Honestly, it depends on the role that wants filling.

If it's a Darcy Fort/Orren Stephenson/Ryan Abbott style of role - i.e. the "break glass in case of emergency" position - then I could see it happening.

If it's getting a rookie ruckman in on potential that he could one day be first ruck, then no.

Bluntly put, we need someone who can be a 4/10 level ruckman next year, if/when Conway gets injured. We don't need a young-but-raw ruckman who could eventually become a 7/10, we already have at least two of those.
Reckon Crossleys a 2/10 tbh, can bully VFL short people but every weakness gets exposed at the next level

Last edited:
Reckon Crossleys a 2/10 tbh, can bully VFL short people but every weskness gets exposed at the next level
I personally don't want him on our list but can't agree with the above. Was always a talent as a junior and played AFL games early is his career. Even when young he was super aggressive towards opposition ruckman and he is as close to Mumford as you can get.

I personally don't want him on our list but can't agree with the above. Was always a talent as a junior and played AFL games early is his career. Even when young he was super aggressive towards opposition ruckman and he is as close to Mumford as you can get.
With Rhys retiring we need a good to go back up Ruck. We will have nothing to trade so its likely to be the best of the bargan basement. The best we can get whoever that might be. By comparing him to Mumford really gets me interested.

Reckon Crossleys a 2/10 tbh, can bully VFL short people but every weskness gets exposed at the next level
Not necessarily - and the best indicator of whether a player can be competitive at AFL level, is still their performance at VFL level.

We don't need the next Luke Jackson - we need someone who won't get beaten up at AFL level.

Cheers 🍻
And there are plenty of examples to the contrary, of players not chasing after where their parents are but staying put at an interstate club. Some young men find getting away from their parents to be quite liberating. Depends on the personality.

Also, as above, there's a difference between returning home and going where your parents are. QLD is not home to the two brothers. It would be a place where their parents reside. Nothing else about it would make them feel at home or comfortable.

SDK leaving? Bit of talk about that on radio…
Cadman or Reid would need to be involved the other way for that to make any sense. Defensively Blicavs then COS can cover him, Ruck/on-ball would need a lot to go right for us. Has anyone mentioned our Ruck going forward 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back