Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Not necessarily - and the best indicator of whether a player can be competitive at AFL level, is still their performance at VFL level.

We don't need the next Luke Jackson - we need someone who won't get beaten up at AFL level.
He would offer absolutely nothing around the ground how would that really help the side even if he’s just a stop gate to prevent further injuries to the younger rucks

The team would have to play two different styles depending on who is in the middle

SDK leaving? Bit of talk about that on radio…
He's a player who was best 22 and currently isn't a walk-up start in it anymore, so there'll always be chatter. He's a young guy whose form has dropped away since his '22 season. He can respond to that by trying to get back into the Geelong side or he can seek opportunities elsewhere.

He could be recalled for the prelim regardless.

He would offer absolutely nothing around the ground how would that really help the side even if he’s just a stop gate to prevent further injuries to the younger rucks
Actually he finds a reasonable amount of the footy at VFL level. I have to go back to R4 2023 to find the last time he got single-figure touches.

I think people are judging him more by the fact that he looks a bit of a chonk than his actual output.

Actually he finds a reasonable amount of the footy at VFL level. I have to go back to R4 2023 to find the last time he got single-figure touches.

I think people are judging him more by the fact that he looks a bit of a chonk than his actual output.
VFL you have more time and space because the standards crap though, he will struggle aerobically massively at senior level, looks spent by the end of most VFL games.

Just think theres better punts to take than Crossley with significantly more upside

Last edited:
Looking at how young Ashcroft is playing right now after recovering from an ACL, shows how it’s possible to bounce back. Every case is different, but that is the best case scenario and Bazlenka seems to be in full training so fingers crossed.
Have more confidence when they slowly build and Baz will have had ages by Round 1 next year, should really hit the ground running pretty well.

He's a player who was best 22 and currently isn't a walk-up start in it anymore, so there'll always be chatter. He's a young guy whose form has dropped away since his '22 season. He can respond to that by trying to get back into the Geelong side or he can seek opportunities elsewhere.

He could be recalled for the prelim regardless.
SDK is 100% a walk up start. He's been injured.

Define "talk"?

Nuffys ringing up suggesting it who are even less qualified on the matter than we are...or an actual rumour by a journalist?
Bucks and Cornes asking if he misses out this week what does his future hold. Bucks even went as far to say that Scott plays players in different roles before moving them on and that he has a history of doing that.
That seemed a bit far fetched for me that part.

Bucks and Cornes asking if he misses out this week what does his future hold. Bucks even went as far to say that Scott plays players in different roles before moving them on and that he has a history of doing that.
Esava may be the prime example, but can’t think of too many others..?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key position talls like SDK are priceless, getting a new long term contract should be 'mission one'. To have SDK and COS (Connor O'Sullivan) as our long term key backs are dreams that can become a very real reality. Even if SDK moves down the ground in a different role, he's just too good a player to let go, same with COS who's going to be a gun..... get it done boys!

Last edited:
Club would be worried about his knee I reckon, media love to spin bullshit though, and fans talk even more crap with their tomato sources on SEN which only feeds it.

Just media drumming a story as he currently isn't in the AFL team... and we need to make room for him to get in now
It's a bit of a laugh really. The guy had knee surgery like 4 weeks ago and has managed one low game time run in the vfl since.

Do they name him? Maybe, but it's a risk. Holmes passed a fitness test for the gf and didn't play

Bucks then added that Scott also has a history of playing players in odd positions where they definitely want to keep the player so it's kind of meaningless

Bucks then added that Scott also has a history of playing players in odd positions where they definitely want to keep the player so it's kind of meaningless
I was listening too thankfully you mentioned the full story and people aren’t reading the below quote where it’s just all above the negative.
It was just a discussion between 2 radio hosts.
Nothing more, Nothing less

It's a bit of a laugh really. The guy had knee surgery like 4 weeks ago and has managed one low game time run in the vfl since.

Do they name him? Maybe, but it's a risk. Holmes passed a fitness test for the gf and didn't play
SDK has played 2 games in the VFL now and had the week off, he should be good to go.

I'm not sure if he will be named this week... but people's eyes will open if he isn't.

It's basically saying he isn't in our best backline and we also prefer Stanley over him in the ruck.

It could go multiple ways with SDK imo and I can't be sure I know which way it'll end up long term.

After 2022 he looked like the best young key back in the game... but he hasn't kicked on at all (actually regressed).

Maybe Stanley retires and SDK takes over as our #1 ruck next year... but then what about Conway.

Maybe he goes back and we play Kolo, Henry and SDK as 3 talls... but then what about COS and Blitz.

I thought maybe he could end up getting a run as a tall forward... but what about Neale.

Possible interesting times ahead for SDK... or maybe he just comes in and locks away a spot for the next 10 years.

P.S. I say this assuming he is fully fit now... but if he isn't and something is wrong then that could change things.

SDK has played 2 games in the VFL now.

I'm not sure if he will be named this week... but people's eyes will open if he isn't.

It's basically saying he isn't in our best backline and we also prefer Stanley over him in the ruck.

It could go multiple way with SDK and I can't be sure I know which way it'll end up long term.

After 2022 he looked like the best young key back in the game... but he hasn't kicked on at all.

Maybe Stanley retires and SDK takes over as our #1 ruck next year... but then what about Conway.

Maybe he goes back and we play Kolo, Henry and SDK as 3 talls... but then what about COS.

I thought maybe he could end up getting a run as a tall forward... but what about Neale.

Possible interesting times ahead for SDK... or maybe he just comes in and locks away a spot for the next 10 years.

P.S. I say this assuming he is fully fit now... but if he isn't and something is wrong then that could change things
COS is so far away from AFL level its not funny, needs 2 more years in the VFL to work on his craft and bulk up. I like him but he just isnt ready yet. Got to remember he is only 19.

COS is so far away from AFL level its not funny, needs 2 more years in the VFL to work on his craft and bulk up. I like him but he just isnt ready yet. Got to remember he is only 19.
I don't disagree that COS is currently not ready.

SDK did come along in his 3rd season.

COS might have a big preseason and surprise a few and I hope he does.

Still... if SDK isn't selected in the backline if he is fully fit this week, then it says to me that we don't want him there and we will have the same tall backs next year in Henry/Kolo... and Blitz is looking better as a back to my eye than a mid at this stage of his career.

Maybe it's horses for course though, because Dixon was the perfect matchup for Blitz last game and he might not get a tall forward that spends time playing 2nd ruck every week.

Sorry PO.
I’ll elaborate a little more.
These are just my thoughts. So be gentle.
They all fit depending on which moves they make.
Suns. Is a Yes.
Witts is almost finished. TDK upgrades their midfield BIG TIME.
SDK upgrades/replaces Sam Collins at FB who is turning 31 next year.
Swans yes. As above. They have Grundy who is average at best IMO. But some club would take him like the swans did. At $600k in salary he’s a bargain if you’re in the market for an upgrade from a large plodding big man.
His contract expires in 3years. TDK gives them both a ruck and a FF and SDK slots into there backline at either FB or CHB quite easily.
So Where do they save cash? Like all clubs do. Trade out salary that you’re comfortable with in covering with others.
Where do they gain draft collateral? Players traded like all clubs do.
For example Chad Warner trade would give them salary space plus 2 first rounders at least which would accommodate acquiring SDK I would think. The two picks inside 10? Or even a 3 way swap in a Warner for Reid for SdK plus a bag of draft picks swapped around. Don’t think we’d be against acquiring Harley with SdK being part of the acquisition. Would we? I wouldn’t. *** But that’s me be a wishful thinker.
TDK would be a free agent. So only salary is to be covered which Carlton can’t cover as they have already committed a large portion of their cap on Harry Charlie Paddy and Walsh… oh and Weitering.
Just a few types of examples of options out there in acquiring both IMO.
As I always say never say never and always expect the unexpected.
Cheers Bud.
2 more wins is all we want!!
GiddyUp Catters!!
FWIW if I was a betting man and I am I’d put half my cash on the Swans and the other half on Gold Coast.
But that’s me just having a punters mentality.

I get that but it still makes no sense.
Even if you assume witts will retire by 26 (contracted til then) i know they nearly lost moyle. They only kept him bc they upped their offer to 4 years and promised him the no1 spot when witts goes. If tdk comes he immediately asks for a trade. Now yes tdk is better but he costs miles more.
Gc are stacked with talls (so much so they will trade luko out for the right offer) and will be hard up for cap once rioli and noble etc come in. Rowell is ooc next year and king is a pre agent. How on earth could they afford 1mil a year for tdk and why would they want to lose guys to g t him in?

Sydney i can believe more as they are ruthless. However you are ignoring the grundy problem. Brodie and his mrs due to off field preference will only agree to live in certain places. This is why he asked for dees in 22 and then chose syd over us in 23. They wont agree to move to SA or WA, most clubs in melb that can afford his wage wont want to take him due to age. She wont agree to live in geelong. They wont go further north so it leaves only gws and they wont push briggs out for him. So grundy isnt movable til 2027 so no way tdk goes there.

Tdk will either stay at carlton on a 5/6 year deal If they can trade enough mid tier guys to afford him.
Or a vic club on 1mil PA is much more logical.

Nothing personal though i like your ideas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back