Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Agents being agents. Geelong is the easy leak for them.

Honestly would be surprised if we do anything other than Smith this off season.
-
Don't think so, Chris Scott said we have a few balls up in the air, which did surprise at time but given he said that makes me think we've got others in mind but also he did say that with a degree of positivity.

Jack Martin would be a fine recruit at the right salary. Staying in the finals hunt for two decades without bottoming out and accessing high draft picks requires a degree of risk, creativity and acquiring players in a wide variety of ways. Ie
1. Don’t be afraid to use draft picks to trade if required; Danger, Jez, Touhy, Bruhn, OHenry, Bailey Smith.
2. Nail Rookie draft; Blics, Dempsey, Close, Atkins, Zuthrie, J Henry
3. Tap Ireland; Mullin, MOC
4. Nail late picks and mature age in the draft; Humphries, Mannagh, Miers, Stewart, Kolo
4. Attract FAs for nothing; Stengle, Jack Martin, Isaac Smith, Bowes (sort of)
5. And of course don’t stuff up the limited R1 & R2 picks we do use; Holmes, SDK, Conway, Knevitt

Attracting a free agent would be helpful if we’re saying goodbye to a bunch of players and using draft capital on Smith and the actual draft.

Geelong is set to hand Patrick Dangerfield the two-year deal he's been chasing.

CATS SET TO BOW TO DANGERFIELD DEMAND
Patrick Dangerfield will secure the two-year deal he wants at season’s end despite the rarity of a 34-year-old winning a multi-year contract.

Dangerfield has been keen to sign a deal of that length but is in no hurry given the priority is his premiership campaign as Geelong captain.

The Cats and his management are happy to wait until the post-season so he can show to the club his body is durable enough for him to win a multi-year deal.

While Dangerfield is not on the lucrative figures that he was when he crossed from Adelaide he is happy to have the security of that two-season contract.

Dangerfield arrived at Geelong happy to take less money than offers in Melbourne and while the Cats eventually traded for him instead of securing him as a free agent it has been a riotously good deal for both parties.

If he decided at the end of next year to retire he might walk away from the 2026 sum but when fully fit Dangerfield still seems at the peak of his powers and in no hurry to call it quits.

Cannot believe someone replied to that with a sad face. Everything that man has done for the club, always under market value, and we are still heavily reliant on him for results. Give the man what he deserves.

Cannot believe someone replied to that with a sad face. Everything that man has done for the club, always under market value, and we are still heavily reliant on him for results. Give the man what he deserves.

He’s had an outstanding season. No reason he can’t go another couple if those hammies hold up. Even if he paddles the last year he’s deserving of a nice handshake.

Gary Rohan is 34 next year, surely this is his final season.

Martin would be a great sub and/or bench player to rotate with O-Henry. Our starting forward line is very strong but without Hawkins & Rohan in the rotation next year our depth is definitely lacking.
Don’t love his injury history, but can certainly play and do love how he plays physically.

The way I think Mannagh is a mix between Miers and Stengle, I think of Martin is a mix between Close & Ollie Henry.

He has very similar stats to Close but with high marking capabilities.

Doesn't link up and impact score involvements as much as close & doesn't kick as many goals or jump as high as Henry

He is kinda in-between those guys... especially with height... Close 183, Martin 186, Henry 189cm.

I don't see a need for him but on a bargain basement wage I'd live with it.

Can't see it happening.

P.S Unless Rohan retires and I was under the impression he was going to get one more year... Not sure Martin would want to be a backup player with us.

P.P.S Yeah maybe Rohans surgery means he is finally done.

Last edited:
Told you this last week but got laughed out of hereabout Jack Martin

Rohan is obviously retiring then.

Look i dont mind martin if hes happy to come for base wage.

When fit hes a very good player.

But honestly we are stacked for small to med fwds.

I would rather invest $ in rucks and mids which we need way more..that said we will have the cap room to do both.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Told you this last week but got laughed out of hereabout Jack Martin

Great intel. I didn’t laugh, it’s a very Geelong move. Savvy. Not to say it happens but 100% believe it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jack Martin isn't at all a like for like for Gary Rohan 😂

What a dumb comparison.

GWS are bleeding talent, for the first time in their history they don't really have the draft capital to sustain their list

They are only bleeding peripheral players.

Their top 15 guys are all locked in so long as they dont lose ones like callaghan.

If the medical team think there's a reasonable chance he can overcome his injuries then 1 year on a low wage would be worth it.
Carlton is close to the worst team in the AFL when it comes to injury management so absolutely i would take a punt for nothing.

He is a talented player who could slot into b22 if fit

Cadman hasn’t shown enough as yet to being ticking off going all out for him.

He could/should show more next year.

Reid will be a superstar and impact many games for a loooong time… that is a certainty given a good run with injuries imo.

Not sure Cadman is a sure thing like Ried is… but talls obviously take longer.
Disagree.

Cadman has shown ALL the signs this year of becoming a superstar, and of getting there a hell of a lot faster than his teammate Jesse Hogan (who is the best marking forward in the comp right now).

I have no idea if he will want to leave GWS, but if he does and we're in a position to take a shot at him, we would be stupid not to.

[EDIT: fixed a couple of typos!]

Last edited:
Knevett is nowhere near it at this stage. I would not be counting on him to be that big bodied mid post Danger.

Holmes will be if he fully develops his inside game but he's not at that stage yet.

But that's 1, at the moment we're running Danger and Stewart there for a reason.

We need another one, an inside big bodied bull.
I would describe what we need as a power mid.

The great midfields all have one. Cripps at Carlton. Bont at Dogs. Green at GWS. Heeney at Sydney. JHF at Port. LDU at North (not so much a great midfield but he is the type).

Many of these guys are big-bodied bulls. A couple not so much (eg. Heeney, Bont) but the key characteristic is that they play with core strength and a lot of, well, power.

They win stoppages, with power. They stand up in tackles, with power. They IMPOSE themselves on the contest. Heeney & Bont aren't huge like Cripps or Green, but they are ridiculously strong and just use their power to beat opponents into submission.

Danger is ours, and he's been a bloody good one for a long time, but his remaining time is limited so we need someone to take that role when he can no longer do it consistently.

I don't see it in Knevitt. He's tall, but lacks power. Atkins is a scrapper, but again lacks power. Jhye Clark looks to me like he could become a better Atkins. Holmes, Smith, Bruhn, Guthrie are all more running players.

Maybe that's why they drafted George Stevens, but I'm not sure he is going to make it.

Maybe Stewart can evolve into it, if we're happy to take him off half back.

Maybe we need someone new.

Both shocking list fits. Imagine having all of Bruhn, Kennedy, Clark and Atkins running through the midfield. Yikes

Kennedy wouldn't be the worst option if cheap, especially if we have Danger forward more, and either Clark or Bruhn don't come on or have form drops.

He had a better season this year than Atkins has based on disposals, marks, goals, i50s and metres gained.

But it really depends on the plan for Smith if we get him. You would assume we want him to be a power mid like Danger has been especially with his pace and his ability to score.

Bruhn and Atkins are nailed on midfield rotations but Clark isn't a sure thing to lock down a spot next season, and our midfield is a concern.

If Kennedy was cheap enough to bring in, its good insurance in case we don't see Stewarts future as a mid, or if CGuthrie doesn't get back to anywhere near his best, or Clark takes another year to get up to AFL level.
He is a bigger bodied mid who can get contested ball but also good at getting it and getting it to outside runners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back