Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Rhys Stanley and Mitch Duncan to be given another contract for next season. Duncan more so a good will gesture to get him to 300 games per Scott Gullen
Kingy on K Rock did mention this on Stanley a few weeks ago.. and a fair few were saying that's bull 💩 , as that can't be rite.. As people were saying we had to push Stanley to play this year...

Don't always believe what you read on BigFooty

Surely not - the club will due its due diligence on his injuries and move onto other targets you would think
29yo and averages 13.7 games a season. So on average he misses 2 months of footy a year for a decade.

HARD PASS.

He’s had an outstanding season. No reason he can’t go another couple if those hammies hold up. Even if he paddles the last year he’s deserving of a nice handshake.
Interesting with his hammies. Chapman had hammy issues late in his time here, he also asked for two years more but after just the 8 games in his last season, including sub in finals, was offered just the 1 and left. His 2nd season at Essendon vindicated the clubs decision.

But history somewhat repeating here. Over 30yo with hammy issues seeking 2 years.
Probably a combination of playing 33 (and counting) over the last two years, being club captain, and that we still rely on him as why the outcome for PD is different to what Chapman received.

Interesting with his hammies. Chapman had hammy issues late in his time here, he also asked for two years more but after just the 8 games in his last season, including sub in finals, was offered just the 1 and left. His 2nd season at Essendon vindicated the clubs decision.

But history somewhat repeating here. Over 30yo with hammy issues seeking 2 years.
Probably a combination of playing 33 (and counting) over the last two years, being club captain, and that we still rely on him as why the outcome for PD is different to what Chapman received.
I think we all would’ve liked Chapman and Stevie J to have finished their careers in the hoops. They were some tough calls that they may have got wrong. But that was a long time ago and we don’t have a big list of players to phase out like we did then.
Danger will leave a huge hole when he goes, happy for him to have two years.

Surely all this conjecture might change once our season is complete.
Seems bizarre coming out with these comments on the eve of a prelim.
Well this is just what Journos are reporting, not so much the club making comments...
Also if anything they portray a picture of stability and a fantastic culture so I don't see any negative

Well this is just what Journos are reporting, not so much the club making comments...
Also if anything they portray a picture of stability and a fantastic culture so I don't see any negative
Not negative at all, just weird timing

You've got 14 clubs that have finished their season and are wheeling and dealing behind the scenes. You can't just park this stuff for 2-3 weeks or you get left behind.
What makes you think we aren’t also?? Mack and wells get paid the big bucks so the rest can worry about on field stuff

lol if the Stanley contract is true.

People on here adamant he wanted to retire last year and got talked out of it. Then they said he’s already told his teammates this year he’s retiring. Hilarious if he does go around again after all that.
Just think people need to stop acting like they have contacts when they clearly don't, scenarios like these just make them look ridiculous.

Any explosive player is a soft tissue risk I dont have a problem with Danger getting the deal he wants, champion of the club, great leader and when fit is still our best and most important player by an absolute mile.

Continued smart management and hell get through two more years easily, even if he dropped off hes got a long way to fall for it to be of any real issue.

Last edited:
Any explosive player is a soft tissue risk I dont have a problem with Danger getting the deal he wants, champion of the club, great leader and when fit is still our best and most player by an absolute mile.

Continued smart management and hell get through two more years easily, even if he dropped off hes got a long way to fall for it to be of any real issue.

I agree.
Pay the man as I'm sure all Cat fans are forever grateful for what he has brought us all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any explosive player is a soft tissue risk I dont have a problem with Danger getting the deal he wants, champion of the club, great leader and when fit is still our best and most player by an absolute mile.

He is statistically the greatest contested midfielder of all time.. sits no1 on the statistic by a fair way.

You cant compare Stevie J and Chappy with danger. They had some good games their last year but danger was legit AA quality bar games played.

I also reckon Danger has parked his ego in the last few years. I think Chappy particularly played with a chip on his shoulder and managing him through a season would've been toxic to him.

Danger clearly is happy to be managed, play low time in ground, etc while we develop others. Of course if his performance drops off so his place in the team is under question things get difficult but he's a long, long way off that.

Semantics I know, but Reid is/was a much bigger Cats supporter than Danger ever was.

Paddy has spoken publicly that while he grew up a Geelong supporter, he wasn't overly invested.

Went to the odd game, but wasn't as emotionally involved as one would think. Certainly not at Hawkins, Selwood, Henry levels.

Moggs creek being situated where it is played a much bigger part than any 'love' for the GFC.

If Collingwood for instance were based in the Geelong region too, then I don't know if those "hoops running through his veins" make much difference.

Reid on the other hand was a genuine nuffie, and is probably closer to what Selwood would have been like growing up as a supporter.
Didn't someone here post that Reid said he was looking forward to playing with Jermaine Jones at WCE once he was drafted?

He's probably on this forum!!

I also reckon Danger has parked his ego in the last few years. I think Chappy particularly played with a chip on his shoulder and managing him through a season would've been toxic to him.

Danger clearly is happy to be managed, play low time in ground, etc while we develop others. Of course if his performance drops off so his place in the team is under question things get difficult but he's a long, long way off that.
Could tell when Chappy left he was a bit all about himself, and has never really bothered to have anything to do with the club since which speaks volumes really.

It's not just they'll play into their 30s, they're at the age where for most the decline starts to hit, others will need to step up to hold the group up even if they're still contributing. Their original few drafts, from Toby Green to Josh Kelly are 31, 30 by round 1 next year.

A few of their players in their prime ages are looking for the exit. Cumming and Perryman are going to exit via free agency, Peatling might be going by trade to WCE. In the past they had a line of top 10 picks ready to start up with the opportunity. They have a bunch of late first, early 2nd rounders instead, that tend to be less plug in and play.

Peatling is staying.

Honestly perryman and cumming are ok middle tier players who are overrated.

I agree their original 2011 onwards guys will wind down but they have a good crop of young players. Guys like daniels and taylor were inspired draft choices as idun and now callaghan cadman and darcy jones who im a big man of are long term options.

As always the challenge for their market will be retention but their list is really good.

[emoji6][emoji6][emoji[emoji6][emoji6]]" data-quote="MacStradbroke" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
So if Rhys Stanley goes around again, does that make us more likely to be chasing TDK as a free agent end of [emoji6]?

You would have to think so. Stanley will retire, Blicavs also at / near the end, Conway coming on (subject to body) but needing a partner, TDK will be RFA, we’ll have cap space, Carlton will not.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Him and Boston Riccardi are next year. Not looking heaps draftable from the sounds though. Not sure Boston is even playing
Rongdit is the 'gift' so to speak to get excited about IMO.

The other two would be awesome too if they really come on next year, but they feel more like Oscar Brownless/BaxterMensch at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back