Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Correct. That's why I think the Cats will happily give up, what could be pick 18-22ish this year, and hopefully pick 15+ next year, for Smith.. That's not a high price.

Like I mentioned before, in 2022 Geelong gave up picks 38,48,55 AND 2023 picks 31 and 55 for Ollie Henry, a talented but unproven mid forward.
You are missing far and away the most important part of that trade as it relates here.

Geelong traded out all of that, pretty much everything at their disposal, to NOT trade out a future first. This was coming off a flag.

They value future firsts very highly and I would be astonished if they traded it out. It's not even necessary

Went and had a look at the 9 months of the calendar year he's injured for - not sure anyone can get him right
Well that’s the risk you take. Look at McCarthy since he left us, barely missed a game before doing his knee. My point is the risk/reward is heavily weighted in our favour.

Disingenuous to say that. He would replace Rohan in the squad.
I don't like the idea of recruiting a 30 year old for backup in a position which isn't a key defender or a ruckman, to be honest.

I'd sooner play Bowes or Dangerfield forward if we need to Break Glass, rather than consume a list spot and salary like that. Give me another hit at a Close/Dempsey late pick, please.

I really hope Richmond bid on Levi Ashcroft with #1

I'm sick of these jet kids going to clubs for well unders.

Credit to Adelaide for bidding #1 on JUH.

I think as it stands the Lions would currently be 1000 points in deficit so there's no doubt they'll be trading their R1 this year for a thousand late picks to rort the system and make up the points required.
Won’t happen, as they will be trading their first round pick to Richmond, which will come with a wink and a handshake.

Hopefully last pick in the first round then.

Anyway if you are a true Geelong fan and think we will give up 2x R1's for Smith (or the value of that)... I think you will be very pleased after trade period when you see that we got him for less and saved important draft capital.
Yes hopefully. If we win the flag this year, our first selection would TECHNICALLY still be a first round selection, but in reality with early bids coming in for Ashcroft, Lombard, Kako and possibly the Camporeale twins, that selection could drop as far as 21-23 and will hold the value of an early 2nd rounder.

The Doggies would absolutely be wanting and asking for a top 10 pick for Smith. I really can't see them accepting our first 2 selections this year, which would likely sit around 20 and 40ish. It certainly would be fantastic if they would, but I just cant see it happening.

Bookmark this, and return in a couple of weeks.. If we get the deal done for only our 1st and 2nd rounders, then I'll happily admit I don't know what I'm talking about..

The Doggies would absolutely be wanting and asking for a top 10 pick for Smith. I really can't see them accepting our first 2 selections this year, which would likely sit around 20 and 40ish. It certainly would be fantastic if they would, but I just cant see it happening.
I think reasonable consensus had them accepting something around the mark of p15, which was slated to be our pick until the cards fell our way in the last few weeks and we had a belter of a QF.

I do love the fact that most still think that say pick 15 being pushed out to 25 makes it worth less.

The only reason it gets pushed out that far is due to FA compensation, F&S and priority picks.

Before it get pushed out you are getting the 15th best available pick after it gets pushed out you are still getting the 15 best available pick.

The only way that changes is if the system completely changes.

I do love the fact that most still think that say pick 15 being pushed out to 25 makes it worth less.

The only reason it gets pushed out that far is due to FA compensation, F&S and priority picks.

Before it get pushed out you are getting the 15th best available pick after it gets pushed out you are still getting the 15 best available pick.

Its sort of true in the sense pick 1 doesn't get pushed out the same amount as say pick 20.

But it isn't Pick 15 in that sense of getting the 15th-best player.

Clubs have wised up hugely in relation to father-sons, and getting them on accelerated programs early. Free Agency compo is also massive if it goes to a shit club (i.e. James Frawley netting p3 for the Dees). It really has killed the first round for better clubs.

that is true with FS/NGA only as those players (Nick Daicos, Sam Darcy) are essentaily "not included" in the draft pool, FA compo is dfferent as it allow a team to pick from the available pool. Say if stkilda got band one for battle, they have an extra pick in the first round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs have wised up hugely in relation to father-sons, and getting them on accelerated programs early. Free Agency compo is also massive if it goes to a shit club (i.e. James Frawley netting p3 for the Dees). It really has killed the first round for better clubs.
I may mis-understand this - but is there a situation where pick 1 couldn't actually get anyone they choose?

It has killed the draft for everyone. For instance Adelaide has finished bottom 4 this year. Their second pick is currently pick 24, 18 teams plus a couple of North priority picks handed out last year. By the time you add academy, father son, free agency compo, that pick is in the 30s. In the old days when we rebuilt through the draft, in a 16 team competition, if you had a club that finished bottom 4 (and yes I realise we didn't), you are taking your third pick in the draft in the 30s, not your 2nd. Bottoming out via the draft is dead as a way of rebuilding and Tassie is only going to make it worse.

Yep, there is on both sides of that argument and I am saying is that Conway is like a fine wine.
I believe. He will grow into a ripper. Lady luck, it’s our turn baby!!
Those who’ve put a line through him already I find are defeatist that they readily accept his failure will come. Ignoring that perhaps just maybe he might actually buck the trend of his run with injuries. Pessimists FMD. I thought they died off after 2007.
Anyways. That is my belief and my opinion.
Each to their own, but this is mine,
Cheers 🍻 Giddyup Catters!

Cat fans need to realise that Toby Conway came into AFL built akin to a giraffe and unfortunately his body wasn't capable of standing the riggers of AFL, even in a lighter capacity which wasn't to be unexpected. It will be a completely different Toby Conway when he fully grows into himself, where his body can handle the stress of playing AFL. I've stated from the get-go that Toby Conway will be in the top 3 ruckman in the AFL..... and HE WILL.

Last edited:
Cat fans need to realise that Toby Conway came into AFL built akin to a giraffe and unfortunately his body wasn't capable of standing the riggers of AFL, even in a lighter capacity. It will be a completely different Toby Conway when he fully grows into himself, where his body can handle the stress of playing AFL. I've stated from the get-go that Toby Conway will be in the top 3 ruckman in the AFL..... and HE WILL.

ALL OF YOU. ALL OF YOU.

Was just going through our player stats focussing on contested vs uncontested possessions for the year. I found it interesting.

We only have 1 play who has more contested than uncontested (Danger) and 4 who have the same (Atkins, Stanley, Neale, O Henry) with 3 others at 90% (Tanner, Blitz, Tyson).

I suppose that group doesn’t surprise me as inside mids and forward players who need to win contests…

From there I was surprised by a couple of things.

Mannagh was at about 80% which shows he is pretty good on the outside as well (I expected he would have been more even) and Dempsey was actually at 70% the same as Bowes, Stewart, J Henry and more than a lot of other players. Whilst Dempsey looks like an outside link player on the wing (which don’t really get to stoppages) the stats say that 4 out of every 10 possessions were contested - I think that really shows over time he could become more of a stoppage player.

The other outlier for me was Mitch Duncan…Only 1 in every 4 possessions are contested. (The next lowest was 4 in 10 from players like Cameron, Humprhies etc). Miers was 1 in every 3

Maybe useless stats but I found it interesting (was board on a plane!)

Not a useless state at all Chawkts, as it's so important to have balance, moreso with contested coz if we have weakness in that area then finals becomes a real issue. Shaun Mannagh and Ollie Dempsey was 'great to see' with them not being reliant on the ball been given to them but they're also great ball users and decision makers. Our recruiting recently has been 'off the charts' with so many 'no names' coming from 'no where'....... In Wellsy and Mackie we trust and GO CATS !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back