Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

That third quarter is going to haunt me for a long time. Why we kept going down the MCC wing has me f••••d. We had switches on, in particular Humphries again and again and just kept playing straight into Brisbane’s hands. That on top of our biggest weakness - the midfield. Turned out to be too much. I am utterly depressed and shattered. To the point the inevitable Smith announcement will do nothing to move me. Genuinely hate football on days like these. I’ll come good… maybe just after the next premiership win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That third quarter is going to haunt me for a long time. Why we kept going down the MCC wing has me f••••d. We had switches on, in particular Humphries again and again and just kept playing straight into Brisbane’s hands. That on top of our biggest weakness - the midfield. Turned out to be too much. I am utterly depressed and shattered. To the point the inevitable Smith announcement will do nothing to move me. Genuinely hate football on days like these. I’ll come good… maybe just after the next premiership win.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I feel you for the same reasons.

I keep forgetting that if we do add Bailey Smith to our midfield, we will also add a fully fit Cam Guthrie aswell👍

I keep forgetting that if we do add Bailey Smith to our midfield, we will also add a fully fit Cam Guthrie aswell👍
I'm an optimist with footy. Life is too short and the game isn't important enough to worry yourself with negatives.

With that being said, we cannot - under any circumstances - be accounting "fully fit Cam Guthrie" into our plans next year IMO.

We said the exact same thing last year, and it actually somehow got worse.

Even if he does stay fit, we have no idea what Cam at full health looks like anymore. It certainly didn't look awe inspiring when we saw it this year.

If we're talking about internal factors that can make us take that next step, it's the youngsters where we should be placing our faith.

Hopefully Holmes, Henry, Humphries, Bruhn, SDK, Mullin, & Mannagh can take the next step (which varies for each of them) and COS, Clohesy, Clark, & Conway can surprise.

When we talking external factors, then that's Bailey Smith & Co, which you rightly point out.

I'm an optimist with footy. Life is too short and the game isn't important enough to worry yourself with negatives.

With that being said, we cannot - under any circumstances - be accounting "fully fit Cam Guthrie" into our plans next year IMO.

We said the exact same thing last year, and it actually somehow got worse.

Even if he does stay fit, we have no idea what Cam at full health looks like anymore. It certainly didn't look awe inspiring when we saw it this year.

If we're talking about internal factors that can make us take that next step, it's the youngsters where we should be placing our faith.

Hopefully Holmes, Henry, Humphries, Bruhn, SDK, Mullin, & Mannagh can take the next step (which varies for each of them) and COS, Clohesy, Clark, & Conway can surprise.

When we talking external factors, then that's Bailey Smith & Co, which you rightly point out.
Yep that’s fair.

I guess I’m more ‘hoping’ to add a fully fit 2022 Cam Guthrie because Christ we’ve missed him the last two seasons🤦

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty confident of landing bailey smith for next year, but I'm sceptical we're adding a fully fit can Guthrie to the midfield rotation.

When he can't back mid season he played predominantly off HB and that's where i expect him to stay

Ok I feel like this is the baseline we need to work with. How do we improve this?

Ff: Stengle Cameron OHenry
Hf: Miers Neale Close
C: Dempsey Bruhn Holmes
Hb: Stewart Kolo Humphries
Fb: Zuth SDK JHenry
Fol: Conway Smith Danger
I: Bews Atkins Mannagh Bowes

S: Duncan
E: Mullin Knevitt Clohesy

Ok I feel like this is the baseline we need to work with. How do we improve this?

There is no way we can seriously take Duncan into a new season in the senior squad.

I really think that thought should be given to whether Bews and Duncan play on. If we are to progress Atkins needs replacing with a midfielder with more class.

Mullin should hopefully continue to develop to become a regular.

O’Sullivan after another pre season should be aiming to play a decent block of games next season.

I even hope to see Edwards debut. Think he has more forward craft than Neale and is just likely to be a better player. He can play a forward/ruck role. Like to see him play a few games.

Stewart is now starting to concern me a little. I think we’ve probably seen his best. He will still be a fine player next season but I don’t think we can necessarily bank on him playing to the same level as we are used to seeing.

Need to target more mids.

I think he's been ok and I would be fine to give him one more year. It wouldn't be worse than Tuohy and we aren't hard up for list spots
He’s far too slow, the game has passed him by, even with very limited time yesterday he managed two key turnovers which led to Brisbane goals and got caught when he could have kicked one himself at our end.

Not only that he has a penchant to avoid as much physical contact as possible now.

I was lukewarm on Kennedy. Last night has made me think we should go for him. He is at least better than Atkins (I'm not having a dig), but he undoubtedly improves us. Smith and Kennedy in....could've been a different result.
Our issue is we do have some very mid level midfielders, and we are deluding ourselves about running this group out there three years in a row without seriously injecting some talent into the midfield. Danger isn’t getting younger, Holmes will improved and hopefully Clark will too, but we need to improve our baseline midfield.

I really think that thought should be given to whether Bews and Duncan play on. If we are to progress Atkins needs replacing with a midfielder with more class.

Mullin should hopefully continue to develop to become a regular.

O’Sullivan after another pre season should be aiming to play a decent block of games next season.

I even hope to see Edwards debut. Think he has more forward craft than Neale and is just likely to be a better player. He can play a forward/ruck role. Like to see him play a few games.

Stewart is now starting to concern me a little. I think we’ve probably seen his best. He will still be a fine player next season but I don’t think we can necessarily bank on him playing to the same level as we are used to seeing.

Need to target more mids.
Duncan's year this year was not worse than Touhys last year, though I didn't want Touhy extended.

Bews has been ok and worth it just to give us an option between him and Mullin.

Most importantly there's no point retiring these guys because we will have so many list spots open.

Out:
Hawkins
Tuohy
Rohan
Foster
Murdoch
Parfitt

In:
Smith
Maybe a 2nd round pick
4-5 picks taken after 50

Remove this Banner Ad