Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing with Darcy (I don't want him) is that even if Freo kicked in money for his current contract, ala Pies-Grundy, the man himself clearly doesn't want to move.

You don't sign a massive deal until the end of 2030 just 12-months ago, if you aren't seriously invested in the club and the location.

He has clearly established himself in WA and made it home. He obviously likes living there and has committed to remaining there for a long time.

That ship has sailed for so many different reasons.

On SM-A526B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The ability to read the ball is crucial.

I saw Stanley palm the ball down cleanly on a good few occasions but no-one other than Danger seemed to read where it was going and time their run to that exact spot at the right time.

Getting the ball in that very first instance is where we break down too often.

The centre square of an AFL final is a very hard place to win a clear ball. Bruhn is actually capable of it. But the Lions just overwhelmed us in the end.

I really want to see Dempsey spend all summer in contested ball situations. He has that quick mind and step, he has to get much tougher in the contest.

He will be a big physical presence in a year or two, but whether he has the contested game remains to be seen.

I really want to see Dempsey spend all summer in contested ball situations. He has that quick mind and step, he has to get much tougher in the contest.
I think people also forget at times that this is his first full year at AFL level. Week-in, week-out, is tough on young players and they typically run out of steam in their first year or three.

I like Jack, like a big supporter of his but i did a best 22 (23) for 2025 and he didn't make my team, i considered him as the sub...probably due to versatility to play multiple positions but Mullin can do that too and has way more upside.

Probably speaks volumes. He's a great depth player but if he's in our midfield every week we are probably struggling.
This is my Cats best team for 2025 so people can criticise or dissect it how they like but it is my opinion soooo.

B: Zuthrie, SDK, Kolo
HB: Stewart, J.Henry, Humphries
C: Dempsey, Danger, Holmes
HF: Miers, Jezza, Mannagh
FF: O.Henry, Neale, Stengle
FOL: Conway, Bailey Smith, Bruhn
INT: Blicavs, COS, Atkins, Jack Martin
SUB: Mullin

EMG: Clark, Bowes, MOC

Go ahead Cats fans, dissect away!

The trend of the game is going to smaller quicker forward lines and our backline ia getting bigger and slower. We need multiple small/medium quick defenders to nullify the new trend.

The trend of the game is going to smaller quicker forward lines and our backline ia getting bigger and slower. We need multiple small/medium quick defenders to nullify the new trend.
We need to be careful not to trend-chase. The only reason for this 'trend', IMO, is because the team that has Gulden, Warner, Heeney and Mills also happens to be saddled with Amartey and McDonald. If they had Hogan and Curnow, we'd be seeing a very different narrative.

Bazlenka announcement today peeps?

Smash Video Games GIF by HyperX

Not in GF week.

I gotta cut Bowes some slack because he is used in different roles regularly and has never been given a chance to settle in one position... Probably due to him having some flexibility in his game.

Some games he is in at CBA's and showing he can win clearances... next week he is out of them.

It seems to be one of the issues that the coaching group have when it comes to a player who has shown a level of positional versatility - they will throw him around from position to position and not just from week to week, but quarter to quarter

The coaches need to work out what type of player & role they see for Bowes going forward from this point - is he going to be a continued part of our midfield rotation or do they want him providing run from the halfback line? Make the decision and focus on really developing him that role - and we know that at times players will be required to shift within games due to requirements, but surely it's better for the player to have a genuine understanding of their primary role

And it's similar for Bruhn - against Port he had 20 CBAs which was 2nd most of any of our mids & only behind Atkins, while against Brisbane that was down 12 for the match, broken down by quarter to 1st - 1, 2nd - 4, 3rd - 2 & 4th - 5. So a player who we know is at his best as an inside mid, extracting the ball outside and yet we only used him in their once in the 1st quarter when he played 69% of the quarter, while Atkins who played "only" 65% of the quarter attended 5 centre bounces, and Dangerfield at 4 CBAs in his 70% 1st quarter game time

There's times where we don't seem to be giving players the best opportunity to succeed either with lack of continuity to their roles and that's something we need to look at with how we're approaching things

You dont necessarily want a stack of smalls per se as some teams still have great hybrid forwards. You want tallish guys who are quick and can play on smalls or taller (connor idun types).

Been watching a big of Bruhns footage this morning and I think the real gap in his numbers against other players by position is his lack of uncontested possessions. He's average for contested, above average clearances, that meets the eye test of him pulling out some good work through traffic then disappearing.

I think his kpi for the summer has to be all gut running. Yes he can do things around the contest when he's not under immense pressure, but he needs to do more away from it and put himself into positions to receive. Might align with his low TOG%, noting though that all our mids have low TOG%.

I gotta cut Bowes some slack because he is used in different roles regularly and has never been given a chance to settle in one position... Probably due to him having some flexibility in his game.

Some games he is in at CBA's and showing he can win clearances... next week he is out of them.
I think that is probably a reflection of his versatility but also that there have been games where he has been annihilated in the center. I like him but I think what we've got is what we've got and he'll remain a spare parts guy.

Bowes it is normally opposition dependent. Bruhn is very weird. Maybe partly victim of game plan. I think it may click for him. He is also much younger. Next year is huge for him.

I am almost done with Bowes. Looks classy and tough but just goes missing when the heat goes up too many times.
I hate to say it but Tom Atkins had 25 CBAs, second only to Dangerfield, for 12 disposals and three clearances. I know CBA is an imperfect but it does suggest who was getting actual stoppage time. Bowes was 5/13/1 and Bruhn was 12/10/4. If I'm looking for the weakest link Tom might be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The centre square of an AFL final is a very hard place to win a clear ball. Bruhn is actually capable of it. But the Lions just overwhelmed us in the end.

He will be a big physical presence in a year or two, but whether he has the contested game remains to be seen.
Not to post three times in a row - but was thinking this as well. Dempsey would get thrown into the middle in the VFL last year and dominate. Not always, but has shown he can do it. If he can add a little size over the preseason would love him to get midfield time next year.

Wow! That's huge. Crows have put so much work into getting him Crows fans I know have held it as a fait accompli that he's going there and have for years

I know some locals that will be shook

Did those Crows fans know about his connection with certain Port players, like the captain?

I’ve seen a few reports that all of Duncan, Bews, Guthrie, Stanley and Danger will play on next year. It seems CS is afraid to make the same necessary tough calls he did back in 2010/11.

Can you blame him?
Look at what happened to certain clubs who cut all their mature players and backed in the youth. North Melbourne, & Hawthorn for example. Throw in Richmond who will sit bottom of the ladder for the next 4-5 years.

Guthrie, Danger and Bews should go on again. The others are cooked.

Zuthrie, JHenry, Stewart, Humphries, Mullin aren't quick?

COS is tall, quick and an athletic freak hence his inclusion on my bench, kid is gonna be a jet.

Mullin is the Bews replacement, Humphries is the Duncan replacment, COS is the Kolo replacment long term.

We need to still invest in another quick backman i agree but we certainly aren't struggling for pace.

I’ve seen a few reports that all of Duncan, Bews, Guthrie, Stanley and Danger will play on next year. It seems CS is afraid to make the same necessary tough calls he did back in 2010/11.

Guthrie is contracted - when was the last time we delisted a veteran contracted player?

Even if we delist him from the senior list, we'd be picking him up as a rookie selection

And don't forget that list management decisions aren't on Scott but we have a team who look after those things - so what does Mackie, Wells etc think of some of those veterans going around again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back