Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Hasn’t gone that far yet but we are right into him.

Enough has come out tonight in the media for me to be a bit more forthcoming. He feels blindsided by the club or at least one person at MFC. That he’s been shopped around behind his back which has come back to him. Pretty unprofessional. MFC are saying that clubs are approaching them. It’s garbage. They have initiated much of it.

So where does tonight's apparent announcement that they won't be trading him sit amongst all that?

A*se covering?

Enough has come out tonight in the media for me to be a bit more forthcoming. He feels blindsided by the club or at least one person at MFC. That he’s been shopped around behind his back which has come back to him. Pretty unprofessional. MFC are saying that clubs are approaching them. It’s garbage. They have initiated much of it.
If the club do indeed want him gone, and he wants to play for us, that sounds like something is going to end up happening.

Do you reckon the Smith deal is the complication here from your POV?

If the club do indeed want him gone, and he wants to play for us, that sounds like something is going to end up happening.

Wonder if this ball has been in the air all along.....or has it suddenly reappeared again?

What was the deal with him the year?

I like to think those that post with conviction do so in good faith, with the realisation that things can go pear shaped at the best of times, but yes, having the salt shaker on hand is always wise.
Oh for sure, more just a generalisation of BF as a whole rather than anyone in here.

If you're an insomniac with too much time on his hands late at night like me, you scour a bit and see that there is genuinely guys just making shit up for attention and likes.

Not everyone of course, but there's a certain notoriety that comes with looking like you know the inside scoop, and certain people feed off that.

Aside from the salary and profession, it's no different to the stuff we see from Ralph, McClure etc.

I'm being told that there is chat amongst Hawks fans about Smith having a late change of heart and wanting them.....

True or not, it got me thinking....... what are our thoughts, and where to from here, if Smith DID go somewhere else?

Butters

I can’t comment on that as I have no direct knowledge nor have been told anything about the Smith trade. But I would assume that it clearly would make things more complex bringing both in together in one trade period. I assume though that Mackie/Wells think it’s achievable or else they wouldn’t be indulging this possibility.

There's three options IMO:

1) Everyone is wrong, and he was never coming here.

2) He's biding his time, and just making sure the contract is right, we can get a deal done, due diligence etc.

3) He's an egomaniac and wants to draw this out as long as possible, ala Lebron and 'The Decision' on ESPN.

It says a bit about him that all three feel like viable selections. We're not dealing with your everyday footballer here.

Or:

We've asked him to hold off in light of Oliver's sudden return to 'available' so we can line the ducks up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would make it closer to Bowes deal in who is giving who picks if they just want him and his money gone.

What do you think we need to give up to close a deal on Oliver?
There's various machinations depending on how it shapes up for mine.

If we pay his whole salary: Nothing, or maybe even a decent pick for our troubles ala Bowes.

If it's a split in their favour: Pick or two in the third round.

If it's a split in our favour: Pick or two in the twenties, the Treloar trade is probably the blueprint.

If Melbourne are paying the full salary: Then we're getting into first round pick territory, or an early second round pick for mine.

That last one does feel like the least likely outcome though, so we'd cross that bridge when we get there.

The deal that could unlock everything for us is SDK, but we've had a few shut that down already.

For instance:

Geelong
Give: SDK, 37, F3, S/C space
Get: Oliver, Smith

Melbourne:
Give: Oliver
Get: 37, F3, S/C space.

WBD:
Give: Smith
Get: SDK

That would make it closer to Bowes deal in who is giving who picks if they just want him and his money gone.

You'd think so. I think that him staying at MFC is almost untenable now which doesn't leave Melbourne in a great negotiating position.

imo… as with any trade..I think the bottom line is what it cost versus potential reward. What would Oliver bring us while we still have Danger and Cameron. Is he healthy?

Would we pay the Fr1 ..if we only take half his money (for example) . Melb do have a history with Grundy of keep big numbers on their cap to be rid of someone they wanted gone.

If take all his money id think he should almost be for free or a late pick exchange.

Would it be fair to say.. historically we prefer to protect our cap more than our picks. What would you say an ideal trade would be?

Look Oliver is no spud but there's red flags everywhere.

Grundy had less red flags off field and was a good trainer fitness wise. And teams only had to pay 3/4 of his deal (as coll was paying) so less years and less $ pa than Oliver. With all that Grundy was worth a figure 2nd. So I wouldn't pay more than a future 4th or a throwaway pick for Clayton. Anything else would be irresponsible.

You'd think so. I think that him staying at MFC is almost untenable now which doesn't leave Melbourne in a great negotiating position.

I just can't see them doing a Bowes deal. Maybe trade Clayton for a late pick but not give picks with him.

There's various machinations depending on how it shapes up for mine.

If we pay his whole salary: Nothing, or maybe even a decent pick for our troubles ala Bowes.

If it's a split: Pick or two in the thirties, the Treloar deal is probably the blueprint.

If Melbourne are paying the full salary: Then we're getting into first round pick territory, or an early second round pick for mine.

That last one does feel like the least likely outcome though, so we'd cross that bridge when we get there.

The deal that could unlock everything for us is SDK, but we've had a few shut that down already.

For instance:

Geelong
Give: SDK, 37, F3, S/C space
Get: Oliver, Smith

Melbourne:
Give: Oliver
Get: 37, F3, S/C space.

WBD:
Give: Smith
Get: SDK

If the rumours are true the relationship between Oliver and the MFC are about as toxic as they've ever been, or could get.

If so, you'd think both parties would want to move on quickly, which opens the door to the first two scenarios.

If that were the case you'd think it's just a matter of whether or not Wells & Mackie want to close the deal there and then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back