Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

I'm being told that there is chat amongst Hawks fans about Smith having a late change of heart and wanting them.....

True or not, it got me thinking....... what are our thoughts, and where to from here, if Smith DID go somewhere else?

The hawks can't get him as their picks are going on barass.

Not Bowes as such. I assume TC meant that it wouldn't be for significant draft pick/s.

Yeah that I agree with they try to offload him for a pick in the 50s. I'm just not sure if Geelong would accept this or they would want a high pick with him that Melbourne wouldn't do.

I assume that Melbourne would know this already

You'd think so. I'm not sure what's brought this on. I can only assume that MFC have determined they aren't in flag window and want to free up cap space. I'm not aware specifically of all the machinations from within the club.

You'd think so. I'm not sure what's brought this on. I can only assume that MFC have determined they aren't in flag window and want to free up cap space. I'm not aware specifically of all the machinations from within the club.

It's pretty poor to shop a bloke without his knowledge.

I think his last year has shown that even optimistically he is a risk towards the end of the contract. The truth is success isn't possible without gambling or min-maxing (or getting an unfair advantage or cheating )

It's pretty poor to shop a bloke without his knowledge.

More dangerous, he could refuse a trade and phone it in for the next 5 years

Not Bowes as such. I assume TC meant that it wouldn't be for significant draft pick/s.

I cant see them trading their R1… but. if they are a motivated seller ..then obviously that puts them at a disadvantage. If a deal does not gte done …then he stays ..and they pay 1m per year. Depending on how much money we take… I could see a pick upgrade or something like that happening to our advantage . It all depends on the money I guess.

What is the SCap going to be in 2029 and 2030...

I cant see them trading their R1… but. if they are a motivated seller ..then obviously that puts them at a disadvantage. If a deal does not gte done …then he stays ..and they pay 1m per year. Depending on how much money we take… I could see a pick upgrade or something like that happening to our advantage . It all depends on the money I guess.

Could they allow such a poisonous situation to remain within the club, to fester for yet another year??

All parties concerned would be desperate to find a way out I reckon.

I doubt they’d be handing over picks. But I would assume if we took on most (or all) of his contract it would mean that we wouldn’t have to part with much in the way of pick/s to get a deal done. Particularly if the situation now is untenable and he chooses us to be traded to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For all of Oliver's red flags the biggest alarm bell will be if Melbourne decide to trade him. That would tell you he's still got massive, massive problems.

year of the cat is suggesting there's two sides to the story, which is quite plausible given how dysfunctional the club appears to be.

Massive cracks are showing.

I think his last year has shown that even optimistically he is a risk towards the end of the contract. The truth is success isn't possible without gambling or min-maxing (or getting an unfair advantage or cheating )

More dangerous, he could refuse a trade and phone it in for the next 5 years

Just demonstrates the dangers of these huge contracts…. Won’t be the last to be problematic I’m sure.

If the rumours are true the relationship between Oliver and the MFC are about as toxic as they've ever been, or could get.

If so, you'd think both parties would want to move on quickly, which opens the door to the first two scenarios.

If that were the case you'd think it's just a matter of whether or not Wells & Mackie want to close the deal there and then.
It's times like these where you do have to wonder what Chris Scott is thinking.

Something along the lines of "If I had a fit and firing Oliver & Smith at my disposal, I'd be a 3 time premiership coach right now" would be my guess.

There's a line, and you can't go all 'Crazy Clarko' and screw the club over in pursuit of justification of your own ego.

But there would still be an element in his thinking that he (and we) aren't far off the ultimate prize yet again, and he would be prepared to take whatever risks there are associated to get there IMO.

If the Dees actually have been shopping Oliver then that means they 100% want him out.

They will not be getting a good deal if that's the case.

They can't want to get rid of the guy and then play hardball.

That's potentially good news for us.

It's times like these where you do have to wonder what Chris Scott is thinking.

Something along the lines of "If I had a fit and firing Oliver & Smith at my disposal, I'd be a 3 time premiership coach right now" would be my guess.

There's a line, and you can't go all 'Crazy Clarko' and screw the club over in pursuit of justification of your own ego.

But there would still be an element in his thinking that he (and we) aren't far off the ultimate prize yet again, and he would be prepared to take whatever risks there are associated to get there IMO.

I'm liking the thought that Scott has the right mix of intelligent and street people around him to keep any ego under control.

Well, I hope so!

Look Oliver is no spud but there's red flags everywhere.

Grundy had less red flags off field and was a good trainer fitness wise. And teams only had to pay 3/4 of his deal (as coll was paying) so less years and less $ pa than Oliver. With all that Grundy was worth a figure 2nd. So I wouldn't pay more than a future 4th or a throwaway pick for Clayton. Anything else would be irresponsible.
You can’t let personal bias get in the way of this.
Do I think we should get him, on field output- yes with Melb paying some salary
Off field, heck ni
But he is still young, suffers adhd I think I have read.

Should people get a second chance, yes

I personally think it will be late 2nd with Melb paying up some salary

If a year goes by, he stays out of head lines & plays get footy - we would be sitting here going why didn’t we deal last year

Agree there are red flags, has been with current player/s & worked out. Others haven’t

Big risk but the payoff is huge but if it doesn’t, that salary becomes an albatross

Just demonstrates the dangers of these huge contracts…. Won’t be the last to be problematic I’m sure.

With these contracts there is a separation between when the value is gained and when the time the cap space is taken up.
At some point the opportunity cost of some players would be asymptotic. A seven year deal for a 25 year old, who finished top 10 in the Brownlow 10 off a prelim is a lot different from a 9 year deal for a 21 year old, when you failed to make finals.

I'm being told that there is chat amongst Hawks fans about Smith having a late change of heart and wanting them.....

True or not, it got me thinking....... what are our thoughts, and where to from here, if Smith DID go somewhere else?
It would be a blow but we'd just move on and draft kids i think

Ok so this talk of Smith changing his mind and wanting Hawthorn is a bit strange that it coincides with us apparently wanting Oliver, i dont believe we would be going for both nor do we have the currency, ive always said that ill believe it when i see it but this is one of those times where i genuinely am concerned that Smith is just a complete media beat up and he was never coming to us, if that eventuates ill pretty much leave bigfooty for good after whats been written here by some people stating that its a done deal etc. This shit happened with Hopper (worked out well) and it was at the time a massive let down, im extremely pumped to get Smith into this team, some people are extremely hard on him because he shows off his looks but he also trains like a MF and will be a good example for kids coming through, he is exactly what we need. I sincerely hope we havent been duped here.

PS. Dont want Oliver.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back