Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

If Oliver wants out, could be a good sign, if he's only after a pay check, he could stay at Melbourne he has no obligation to leave, could be that he's trying to get back on track, it's a huge risk huge reward, if we get AA Oliver we're laughing. Reckon he's being forced out by trac but I reckon trac will burn Melbourne anyway.

Oliver and Smith are exactly what we need. Almost the perfect two.

In the AFL these days you can’t have enough of the Bailey Smith types and our clearances and stoppages without Danger in there are non existent. Oliver’s specialty. Heck even with Danger there it’s only par. If he misses time we are cooked.

A midfield of Smith, Oliver, Holmes etc for the next 5 years means the fwds should get 60 decent looks a weekend. Something that didn’t happen enough this year.

People worried about Clark (or others) development are head scratchers for me. Very North Melbournish. If you are good enough you play. You find a spot. That’s the reality. Plenty of top 20 picks never make it. Unfortunately rubbish clubs pump 120 games into them, doubling down on their decisions. I’m not for one second saying this is Clark (or others) but you don’t make plans around kids who aren’t at the level.

It's interesting (why??) that Smith still hasn't announced his club of choice.

There's no immediate deadline, but still....maybe he's waiting on something to fall into place??

Not sure what that'd be as the mechanics as to how it gets done is not his concern once he announces what he wants.....it just gets done.
I believe Geelong are waiting, preferring to respect players, who are retiring + to a lesser extent to those delisted. There could be an element of respect to Brisbane, too.

Is it necessary to rush announcement if Smith is joining Geelong?

If Smith is reconsidering options, good. Give him time to make the right choice.

Now Hawthorn is a choice, depending upon their available ‘picks’, let him evaluate both teams.

In addition, previous comments imply he is FIGJAM + with his ego, might struggle to fit into our Geelong culture. If that’s the situation, go to Hawthorn + play social media games with Ginnivan LOL

To give Smith the benefit of the doubt, considering the devotion + discipline to training, perhaps there is an ability to conform + succeed at Geelong. After all other players with issues have thrived.

I believe Geelong are waiting, preferring to respect players, who are retiring + to a lesser extent to those delisted. There could be an element of respect to Brisbane, too.

Is it necessary to rush announcement if Smith is joining Geelong?

If Smith is reconsidering options, good. Give him time to make the right choice.

Now Hawthorn is a choice, depending upon their available ‘picks’, let him evaluate both teams.

In addition, previous comments imply he is FIGJAM + with his ego, might struggle to fit into our Geelong culture. If that’s the situation, go to Hawthorn + play social media games with Ginnivan LOL

To give Smith the benefit of the doubt, considering the devotion + discipline to training, perhaps there is an ability to conform + succeed at Geelong. After all other players with issues have thrived.

Hawthorn will be trading picks for TB. Unless one of their good young mids is going as a swap for Smith I doubt they have the currency.

Oliver couldn't be a worse gamble than Jack Steven was (from a 'cultural' perspective, anyway)

I know but Jack was only a 2 year deal on average money and that's the difference.

There's various machinations depending on how it shapes up for mine.

If we pay his whole salary: Nothing, or maybe even a decent pick for our troubles ala Bowes.

If it's a split in their favour: Pick or two in the third round.

If it's a split in our favour: Pick or two in the twenties, the Treloar trade is probably the blueprint.

If Melbourne are paying the full salary: Then we're getting into first round pick territory, or an early second round pick for mine.

That last one does feel like the least likely outcome though, so we'd cross that bridge when we get there.

The deal that could unlock everything for us is SDK, but we've had a few shut that down already.

For instance:

Geelong
Give: SDK, 37, F3, S/C space
Get: Oliver, Smith

Melbourne:
Give: Oliver
Get: 37, F3, S/C space.

WBD:
Give: Smith
Get: SDK
I'm open to SDK going.

I think we can definitely cover him moving forward, and as you say, being the high value player he is, he can really help us unlock several other deals.

I honestly think it could be a great time to cash in on a guy who may never recapture his 2022 form, and for whom we already have adequate replacements for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Atm talk is about:
Smith
Oliver
Butters

It’s fun to speculate + dream.

Is there any ‘possibility’, even fleetingly for Geelong to recruit all three, hypothetically?

How does Geelong make it happen? I’m against trading current players, yet others accept it.

IF Smith chooses Hawthorn, are we able to get Oliver + Butters?

If between Oliver or Butters, who’s our first choice?

If Oliver + Butters, how do we fit them within the salary cap + which picks are offered?

Time to begin the ‘What if’ bingo card?

Hawthorn will be trading picks for TB. Unless one of their good young mids is going as a swap for Smith I doubt they have the currency.
Sort PO, who/what is TB?

I'm open to SDK going.

I think we can definitely cover him moving forward, and as you say, being the high value player he is, he can really help us unlock several other deals.

I honestly think it could be a great time to cash in on a guy who may never recapture his 2022 form, and for whom we already have adequate replacements for.

I think the devil you know might be the safer choice when it comes to SDK.

Geelong back themselves in to get the best out of people when they bring them in, why would they be looking at SDK differently?

We haven’t been known to throw away a top talent like that just to improve draft or trade hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back