Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I don't rate rucks either but you need to actually field one. Without SDK or a trade in i don't see how we do it and a vfl plodder ain't going to do it
Can't even really count Neale & Blicavs as options either in that scenario.

Blitz would be playing in the backline post an SDK departure, and Neale is a forward with Tomahawk gone.

Realistically, for 80-90% of a game, it's Stanley, Conway, Furphy, or Edwards.

We'd have to bring in someone else. You'd rather do it, and not need them, than not do it and have it cost you a premiership.

On a slightly different note I’d be open to looking at a key forward back up. I know it’s very hard to find decent key forwards but we basically only have Neale and Jezza on the list now as key forwards.
Personally I would’ve kept Rohan for another year at least as back up. I guess Dekoning or Henry could play there if needed but having another player to drop in would be handy. We’re obviously pretty thin with rucks as well so not like we can put one of them in.

Drop a rookie spot on Tabaner or even through a spot to Membrey? Not asking them to be anything they can’t just be good to have a backup if we need it.
If the trades work out as hoped the ball should be coming down there a lot.

There’s the option of a smaller forward line with Henry, Stengle, Martin and danger as targets. But I’d like some tall options.
I think Tabs is well and truly done. Membrey I'm not sure is going to come to be back up.

I'd rather just play smaller. Or if you really want to put a key sized player who is a decent contested mark and can kick a goal chuck Knevitt down there for a while. If it's not working flip him over to wing or half back of wherever they've been playing him this week

The continous conjecture about SDK is just another example of how silly people become during the trade period. I often wonder if people think that if they say something incorrectly long enough, it will magically become correct.

The continous conjecture about SDK is just another example of how silly people become during the trade period. I often wonder if people think that if they say something incorrectly long enough, it will magically become correct.
Hey it got Donald Trump elected maybe it can land us an AA calibre KPD?

With no SDK our ruck options are:

Conway: just had a pin put in his navicular
Stanley: 34 before Christmas
Blicavs: 34 by gather round
Neale: Not really rucked effectively at the level
Furphy: one vfl season removed from basketball
Edwards: built like a broomstick currently

How could you let him go without a ruck solution in place for next year?

Stanley and Blitz are put a fork in it ..

Conway crook foot …so 2025 load doubtful

Neale FF

The others… are a long way behind ..we have not even seen them at afl level

Definitely an issue. Trade Radio must love geelong.

PS this is a ridiculously reasonable and rational Board. Where the **** are all the psychos?
We've been emotionally cushioned by the thought of picking up a full midfield in the trade period.

It may get rocky in here mid season if we're rolling into half time and Jack Henry has been subbed off with a return of his foot injury and now we're rucking Mitch Knevitt with Lawson Humphries playing one on one against a 2m tall key forward

We've been emotionally cushioned by the thought of picking up a full midfield in the trade period.

It may get rocky in here mid season if we're rolling into half time and Jack Henry has been subbed off with a return of his foot injury and now we're rucking Mitch Knevitt with Lawson Humphries playing one on one against a 2m tall key forward
What idiot would ever let that happen?

Oh wait.

IMG_3212.png IMG_3213.png

Crameri goes in the 28+ category I think, so that's another one who didn't work out. Interesting list. I'm not optimistic on Martin bucking the trend tbh, I'd put money on him playing less than 10 games for Geelong before he retires/gets delisted again.
Prodigious junior talent who never quite made it on the system.

I wonder what percentage is to blame on GCS at the time who seemed to burn through elite junior careers like fire on wood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now you are all running with it. Yeek.. Was it really worth playing a 33 year old blicavs in the prelim to risk losing a 23 year old sdk when sdk was already better then blicavs as a defender and a ruckman (and almost certainly a foward?)

You can't seriously think SDK was better in defence this year than Blicavs, surely?

2022 SDK was great, but ever since than he's been mediocre at best as a KPD.

You can't seriously think SDK was better in defence this year than Blicavs, surely?

2022 SDK was great, but ever since than he's been mediocre at best as a KPD.
Very few intercept marks ever since he fractured his nasal bone. Has seemed very timid and lethargic around contact or incoming contact since.

Very rarely instinctively puts himself into harms way.

Can be a very hard mental hurdle for a player to overcome.

Oliver , Sam Dek …and Carltons future R1 ..which could should be later in draft? Carlton making out like bandits

Carlton need to give up more to balance Sam imo ..whether thats players or picks. The question is … Sam Dek v Oliver for us. For the trade out of Sam …. I am not taking Oliver on some sort of hurt locker contract

Agree 100 %. Carlton would give more on that scenario and melb would get less as we are helping them both.

Right. I had to weigh up whether I will say this or not, and have decided to do it.

Clayton Oliver is a man who came into the club pretty raw. He did a bunch of silly things at first but then changed himself very young to become a professional athlete and to make the most of his talent. He won 4 Blueys, 3 times all Australian, 2 AFL coaches awards. He has a lot of talent, yes, but that doesn’t buy you that kind of resume on its own. He was clearly a driven, professional trainer and athlete and earned those accolades.

Then it changed very quickly. I’m literally astonished that I seem to be the only person who thinks there must be a reason, and a good one, for this abrupt change. I agree that his issues have been bad for the club, and that he burned his teammates. But he burned himself and his legacy even worse. This just happened. It wasn’t a strategy he dreamt up one night to troll the MFC members or randoms on Bigfooty.

Melbourne are the dumbest football club imaginable but they are slightly less dumb than posters on this board. They have realised that there are real issues at play here. It seemed so freaking obvious when their messaging swung from “he has to meet standards” to “we need to wrap our arms around him”. This is what happens when there are issues that change a person’s behaviour and you start to understand what they are. You can be simultaneously angry with a person and sympathise with them. I have reason to know this. Chances are he will be stuck with these opposing reactions for the rest of his life. I don’t care what he is paid. Nobody with any sense should envy him.

I remember his achievements as a great player for this club. This doesn’t mean I am blind to the problems he may have caused to our club. I would just recommend that when you are shitposting revolting thoughts about a fellow human being you take into account all of the things he has accomplished, not just the recent issues. Or even take account of his being a fellow human being.

I am personally glad that our club has tried to help him, though it may be that our club which seems incapable of helping itself might not be the best doctor. It may well be that his best chance of recovering himself and his legacy, if it can be done, is elsewhere. I don’t mind. I would like to see him play good football again and even more than that be happy. He’s a person.

I think it is totally reasonable to debate whether his contract was a poor decision by the club. I think it is totally reasonable to discuss whether he should or should not be traded. That’s what footy forums are for. For all of us to pretend in our own heads that we would make better decisions. We might even be right, our club doesn’t inspire confidence.

But the fat campaigner stuff and the ginger campaigner stuff is repulsive. It’s repulsive in any setting, but to say it about someone who has achieved as much as a man so young is bizarre. It’s clear that the people who say these things under our assumed names think that it’s harmless and have no thought to whether he, family, friends might be reading all of this. And if you don’t give a shit about Oliver or family, I’m reading it and find it really upsetting. I like this board and it’s a lot of fun and I really enjoy reading the posts of regulars and newer posters. I hope some of you enjoy mine. So if you don’t give a shit about what Clayton Oliver’s family might feel reading these things, maybe you might consider me who finds it distressing? It makes me really unhappy to read this stuff, even when thinly disguised as a joke. If you don’t care about that there’s nothing I can do. I’ve disclosed, and you get to listen or give me the predictable haha reacts.

Also anyone who makes “fat ginger” posts who is older than age 7 really needs to have a look at themselves.

I'm sorry if this is not relevant but I wanted to post this as it one of the better opinions I have read in quite some time.

I think a lot of opposition supporters should take this on board because some of the language heaped upon players for choosing to explore their career options is narcissistic.

I'm sorry if this is not relevant but I wanted to post this as it one of the better opinions I have read in quite some time.

I think a lot of opposition supporters should take this on board because some of the language heaped upon players for choosing to explore their career options is narcissistic.
Thanks Mr Tilly. That’s nice of you. I got notified when you reposted my post which is how I got here.

If Clayton Oliver does get traded to Geelong I hope he does really well. Recent events suggest he isn’t always easy work but it’s possible that a different environment might see him return to his best? If he can, he’s a very good fit for what your midfield needs IMO.

I love my club (sometimes, kind of…) but at the end of the day I want to see talented players fly. If that’s at Geelong I’ll still enjoy watching him - even while biting down bitter hatred for everything in the universe in no particular order.

Thanks Mr Tilly. That’s nice of you. I got notified when you reposted my post which is how I got here.

If Clayton Oliver does get traded to Geelong I hope he does really well. Recent events suggest he isn’t always easy work but it’s possible that a different environment might see him return to his best? If he can, he’s a very good fit for what your midfield needs IMO.

I love my club (sometimes, kind of…) but at the end of the day I want to see talented players fly. If that’s at Geelong I’ll still enjoy watching him - even while biting down bitter hatred for everything in the universe in no particular order.

I have been firmly in the 'do not want' camp when it comes to Oliver.
However, having just witnessed an agonizing loss, one in which the club was within a bees dick from making the grand final . . . even this years version of Clayton Oliver would have likely seen us through.

I have been firmly in the 'do not want' camp when it comes to Oliver.
However, having just witnessed an agonizing loss, one in which the club was within a bees dick from making the grand final . . . even this years version of Clayton Oliver would have likely seen us through.
If Geelong can get him back to the 2021 model then you are in that grand final. I’d love him to stay at Melbourne and get back to his best, but he’s treading water right now and the club has decided to burn down with all the players in it so I’m not sure we are the best fit for this scenario.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back