Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Conway was back at training at season's end. So 2025 isn't doubtful ...

Putting aside the navicular bone injury that he is coming off …. I really hope he is ready to embrace the full load at training and playing.

He is still young at 21 so being conservative is fair enough … but historically id say its fair to say its doubtful what availability he will offer and what load we put into him in 2025.

If he is available for each game I doubt we play him in more than 10-12 or so games and we will monitor loads carefully. We will need to find more ruck depth if Sam Dek goes as Stanley and Blitz will both be 34 in 2025

All of blitz, kolo and Henry going down is really worst case scenario and no amount of planning could cover something like that
Sure, but that's not the problem.

The problem is that Kolo and Henry are undersized. You can get away with either them pinch-hitting on a bigger player for a quarter or two, or even a full game at times, but not permanently. Especially as KPFs seem to just be getting bigger. Both of them are much better matched against third tall or medium forward types.

Which leaves Blitz and COS as our only true KPDs if SDK isn't there. Very, very thin.

Assuming SDK stays, I think we need to decide where his best position is going to be and play him there. If its KPD, we need some more ruck backup. If its ruck, we need another KPD. If he goes, we probably need both.

And we also need to draft another young key forward. We've timed the Hawkins > Neale thing nicely, now we need to do the same for Jezza > ??? in 2-3 years time.

I'm sorry if this is not relevant but I wanted to post this as it one of the better opinions I have read in quite some time.

I think a lot of opposition supporters should take this on board because some of the language heaped upon players for choosing to explore their career options is narcissistic.
Opposition post of the year maybe even decade.. Nice find

Putting aside the navicular bone injury that he is coming off …. I really hope he is ready to embrace the full load at training and playing.

He is still young at 21 so being conservative is fair enough … but historically id say its fair to say its doubtful what load we put into him in 2025.

If he is available for each game I doubt we play him in more than 10-12 or so games and we will monitor loads carefully. We will need to find more ruck depth if Sam Dek goes as Stanley and Blitz will both be 34 in 2025
I think we will have a plan if he gets through preseason in good shape to maybe play him 3 out of every 4 games some in the AFL maybe some in the VFL on limited minutes.

Which ever strategy the club goes for i think will be the correct one.

Sure, but that's not the problem.

The problem is that Kolo and Henry are undersized. You can get away with either them pinch-hitting on a bigger player for a quarter or two, or even a full game at times, but not permanently. Especially as KPFs seem to just be getting bigger. Both of them are much better matched against third tall or medium forward types.

Which leaves Blitz and COS as our only true KPDs if SDK isn't there. Very, very thin.

Assuming SDK stays, I think we need to decide where his best position is going to be and play him there. If its KPD, we need some more ruck backup. If its ruck, we need another KPD. If he goes, we probably need both.

And we also need to draft another young key forward. We've timed the Hawkins > Neale thing nicely, now we need to do the same for Jezza > ??? in 2-3 years time.
Hmm i would like to see SDK try the 2022 Stanley role.

Stanley would take centre bounces and drift back to help defence whilst Blics took a decent amount of around the ground ruck work to make sure Stanley wasn't run into the ground.

The problem becomes who plays the Blics role as i don't think he can do it anymore.

The other option is for SDK to play the 2022 Blics role and take ruck work around the ground and have Conway play the Stanley role from 2022.

Will be interesting what the coaches come up with to try and fit Blics, SDK and Conway/Stanley in. (Conway isn't going to play 18-26 games)

Thinking about our list I feel that Jhye Clark could the piece that we give away to make all of the other moves work.

He would have a disproportionate amount of trade value relative to his output. Him and Clohesy fill the same niche and frankly we could part with one without losing anything on the field.
I could see how you might feel we have to give up a player but Clark is a top 10 draft pick who appears to be highly rated internally and dominates VFL with sufficient indication he will make it at the next level. I also imagine his development will only further be enhanced under peer tutelage of his craft from Smith and Oliver. Also, I cannot profess to know anything more than the next fan.

From what I’ve been told and my own personal deduction of the situation. Oliver to Geelong will happen. Geelong want it and are downplaying it. Oliver wants it. And the most important piece of the puzzle is that Pert wants it. I’ve been told Geelong are extremely confident he is going to nominate us. But they’re playing the game at the moment.

I honestly can’t explain how excited I am for this if it comes off.

As for SDK - my source, who has not missed besides not hearing about Jack Martin before the hairdresser - has said he hasn’t heard anything him wanting out. So, I hope that’s true and the noise surrounding him looking for a move is false.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I hope with SDK you are correct. My mail on Oliver is absolutely accurate but have (in this case fortunately) a bit less confidence in who I received the SDK mail from. Having said that it’s only one step from someone who would know so….

What I've been told about SDK by a person with a Carlton connection.

- He will only leave to go to Carlton and nobody else.
- has been sold the centre half back permanent position dream
  • won't ask for a trade as he has seen what happened with Kelly and Ratagolea
  • won't sign a contract extension
  • family weren't impressed that he was made to play injured this year
  • Geelong wants pick 11 and FR1 from Carlton who won't do that deal.
  • Carlton want to include players in the trade, Pittonet, Young and Kennedy were offered
  • Carlton also trying to offload Cerra to Melbourne so that may help in the Oliver chase.

Ties in with what I heard. I’d say that the he’s basically tradeable for the right price. Remains to be seen whether he will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is still young at 21 so being conservative is fair enough … but historically id say its fair to say its doubtful what availability he will offer and what load we put into him in 2025.

What worries me is he broke down while being very carefully managed in 2024.

In addition, some posters neglect to consider he had a year’s break due to injury. Realistically, that sets his development to a 20yo.

I thought he showed promise in the games he played this year.

i sound like a broken record but I dont get the fascination with oliver, this is not the 2020-21 clayton oliver. the contract he signed was based on that version of him. would melbourne give him that contract now? if the answer is no why would we?

What worries me is he broke down while being very carefully managed in 2024.
Yes it’s a worry, but at the same stage in his career Gawn had played fewer games than Toby has, and had suffered two major season-ending injuries.

Even in his fourth season (which for Toby will be 2025) Gawn had injury issues and was put in the long term injury list.

Got there in the end though, didn’t he.

i sound like a broken record but I dont get the fascination with oliver, this is not the 2020-21 clayton oliver. the contract he signed was based on that version of him. would melbourne give him that contract now? if the answer is no why would we?
We need midfielders, good ones and if there’s a chance he can get himself right then why not take the risk? He is what might be available I’m not sure it’s a fascination.

The biggest risk in life is to not take a risk.

I think the point is that the 2020-21 Oliver is in there somewhere, and if we can get it out of him then…

With no SDK our ruck options are:

Conway: just had a pin put in his navicular
Stanley: 34 before Christmas
Blicavs: 34 by gather round
Neale: Not really rucked effectively at the level
Furphy: one vfl season removed from basketball
Edwards: built like a broomstick currently

How could you let him go without a ruck solution in place for next year?
I guess Mack Hock Scott Lappin King Rahilly and the doctors etc etc believe there is no problem going in with those blokes u have listed.
Mmmm... So if they are cool with it... that'll do me.

We need midfielders, good ones and if there’s a chance he can get himself right then why not take the risk? He is what might be available I’m not sure it’s a fascination.

The biggest risk in life is to not take a risk.

i get he fits a need but is like people think we are getting the best version of him which we simply are not.

at that coin, i rather look at younger models callaghan, reid, etc(I know is long shot).

yes take a risk, arent we doing that with bailey smith with his perceived infury, off field issue, etc?

add jack martin as well.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back