Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Thinking about our list I feel that Jhye Clark could the piece that we give away to make all of the other moves work.

He would have a disproportionate amount of trade value relative to his output. Him and Clohesy fill the same niche and frankly we could part with one without losing anything on the field.

I don't think Clark will be traded (I wouldn't be against it if we got a r1 or equivalent back) because the club very highly rates both his leadership and his character. He's also very close with a couple of our younger ex falcons which makes that a challenge. But I'd say someone like clohesy is likely to be on the move.

Thinking about our list I feel that Jhye Clark could the piece that we give away to make all of the other moves work.

He would have a disproportionate amount of trade value relative to his output. Him and Clohesy fill the same niche and frankly we could part with one without losing anything on the field.
Agreed. Most of it is perceived. If the club who's seen him up close pull the trigger.
Then so be it. Sometimes u get an offer too good to refuse.
I can only hope...

I could see how you might feel we have to give up a player but Clark is a top 10 draft pick who appears to be highly rated internally and dominates VFL with sufficient indication he will make it at the next level. I also imagine his development will only further be enhanced under peer tutelage of his craft from Smith and Oliver. Also, I cannot profess to know anything more than the next fan.

After enough exposure where a player was drafted becomes irrelevant, that draft pick is probably the only thing giving him market value. I felt that he wasn't a typical top 10 pick, I think he lacks a few attributes that are almost pre-requisites to being a star. If allowed I think his likely trajectory could be similar as Parfitt, in that he becomes a serviceable but otherwise undamaging midfielder.

Dominate is a strong word but Imo Clohesy's VFL form was better then Clarks. But the bias of not squandering a top 10 pick would in a line ball call give the advantage of getting AFL game time to one over the other. I fell that in a blind test it would be hard to pick them apart. But in a trade situation that bias works in our favour. Clohesy isn't worth anything at the trade table.

what about Kolo, out of contract and I haven’t heard anything about him. Is it just a case of sitting down and giving him a further 1-2 years or is he potential a target?

I guess Mack Hock Scott Lappin King Rahilly and the doctors etc etc believe there is no problem going in with those blokes u have listed.
Mmmm... So if they are cool with it... that'll do me.
Surely they would have to have some kind of plan. If you go in with that list you're an injury mean reversion from missing the 8 entirely

What I've been told about SDK by a person with a Carlton connection.

- He will only leave to go to Carlton and nobody else.
- has been sold the centre half back permanent position dream
  • won't ask for a trade as he has seen what happened with Kelly and Ratagolea
  • won't sign a contract extension
  • family weren't impressed that he was made to play injured this year
  • Geelong wants pick 11 and FR1 from Carlton who won't do that deal.
  • Carlton want to include players in the trade, Pittonet, Young and Kennedy were offered
  • Carlton also trying to offload Cerra to Melbourne so that may help in the Oliver chase.

I've heard similar from my source (not the cerra bit but I've heard the rest)
From what I understand there's a few roadblocks though:
1. Even if Carlton give up on Houston (likely they don't do it now) they won't pay the 2 r1s (or equivalent) and Geelong won't take unders
2. Yes you can backend contracts but from my understanding Carlton will struggle to register both brothers (on say 6 year deals which they would do) under the cap unless they move some contracted guys out. And young and pittonet in particular don't want to go (owies doesn't either but they will force him out but they can't force the others out and it might stop them getting sdk). It would need 3 clubs involved and that to get done first
3. Geelong are pretty adamant about holding him. They tend to think if Carlton don't win a flag next year that they will be desperate and offer just as much then as now (like Port did with sav) and I agree.

I also tend to think that Geelong won't trade him without a decent replacement coming in which they don't currently have lined up.

Sdks management know all this which is why he hasn't requested a trade yet and I think it's pretty unlikely he does. Still more than likely to be here till next year at least (but If Carlton make other moves to appease us maybe it changes).

what about Kolo, out of contract and I haven’t heard anything about him. Is it just a case of sitting down and giving him a further 1-2 years or is he potential a target?

Kolos a free agent but the mail was he is signing for 2 years.

What I've been told about SDK by a person with a Carlton connection.

- He will only leave to go to Carlton and nobody else.
- has been sold the centre half back permanent position dream
  • won't ask for a trade as he has seen what happened with Kelly and Ratagolea
  • won't sign a contract extension
  • family weren't impressed that he was made to play injured this year
  • Geelong wants pick 11 and FR1 from Carlton who won't do that deal.
  • Carlton want to include players in the trade, Pittonet, Young and Kennedy were offered
  • Carlton also trying to offload Cerra to Melbourne so that may help in the Oliver chase.
Carlton were worse with how they made TDK play injured...

Surely they would have to have some kind of plan. If you go in with that list you're an injury mean reversion from missing the 8 entirely
Of course they have... But what i am saying is those who know more and know best are happy with what they have.
If so. Then what are u or even i worried about ??
Relax buddy as the experts have done and are doing it again.
Retooled Rebooted Refurbished Reconditioned... But never a FULL rebuild.
FMD have they got a quality midfield forming now?? GeezUs!!!
Walking around with a lump in my pants has been grand this past 48-72 hours.
And thats the good/front kind not the bad/behind kind LOL.

After enough exposure where a player was drafted becomes irrelevant, that draft pick is probably the only thing giving him market value. I felt that he wasn't a typical top 10 pick, I think he lacks a few attributes that are almost pre-requisites to being a star. If allowed I think his likely trajectory could be similar as Parfitt, in that he becomes a serviceable but otherwise undamaging midfielder.

Dominate is a strong word but Imo Clohesy's VFL form was better then Clarks. But the bias of not squandering a top 10 pick would in a line ball call give the advantage of getting AFL game time to one over the other. I fell that in a blind test it would be hard to pick them apart. But in a trade situation that bias works in our favour. Clohesy isn't worth anything at the trade table.
If I didn't know who Clark was and watched him in the VFL of late I would think he was VFL top-up player... not an AFL listed player / top-10 selection.

I hope he can make me eat my words.

Clark's draft is looking pretty ordinary... Probably hampered by covid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course they have... But what i am saying is those who know more and know best are happy with what they have.
If so. Then what are u or even i worried about ??
Relax buddy as the experts have done and are doing it again.
Retooled Rebooted Refurbished Reconditioned... But never a FULL rebuild.
FMD have they got a quality midfield forming now?? GeezUs!!!
Walking around with a lump in my pants has been grand this past 48-72 hours.
And thats the good/front kind not the bad/behind kind LOL.
I mean it's a great midfield and they have certainly got runs on the board for turning over the list successfully. But I just hope we're not hitting hubris territory because there are some significant risks here not just in Oliver's contract and recent history.

If I didn't know who Clark was and watched him in the VFL of late I would think he was VFL top-up player... not an AFL listed player / top-10 selection.

I hope he can make me eat my words.

Clark's draft is looking pretty ordinary... Probably hampered by covid.

He looks to have the most upside out of all the younger players. It's his lack of size which fails him.
Needs a top preseason. Add some mass to his frame and we will start seeing a top prospect

Would be funny if Clayton Oliver pulled an accidental James Harden
Come On Please GIF by NBA

We don’t do that here unless Scotty tries to experiment and it doesn’t work

That or Oisin Mullin debates start up again LOL
I think the Mullin debate has been settled in the affirmative, maybe the psychos actually went back and looked at his role/effectiveness 😉

Do yourselves a favour and don’t look at the dogs board. They’re claiming our board are saying we will only trade crumbs for Smith and won’t offer our first rounder… don’t think I’ve seen that mentioned once here haha. Think we all agree it’ll be our first and a sweetener most likely our second rounder

Ok so if he wants to stay why hasn't he signed a contract extension.

I've no doubt Carlton want him and I'm also very confident Geelong don't want to trade him unless they get a deal to good to be true.
Probably because now he's at a low point - coming off two average seasons and injury.

Why wouldn't he be backing himself to return to his 2022 best, when he could command a better deal.

SDK is underrated by some here + very harshly criticised.

Ultimately, if Geelong wish him to stay, Sam has to seriously think which team is closer to winning a Premiership.

Carlton had players injured + dropped in form. Rd19 second, rd20 fourth, r21 eighth, out of the eight, then made Top 8. Then lost EF to Brisbane.

While we had a dip, lowest was seventh on the ladder + we finished third. We had huge injuries Hawkins, Dangerfield +++ but made it to the PF.

I think Geelong are better placed to make a GF before Carlton + hopefully placed to win a Premiership.

🤞🏻 🤞🏻 🤞🏻

I’m wishing TDK comes to Geelong
🤞🏻 🤞🏻 🤞🏻

I really have my doubts.
Some say he just needs to lose a bit of weight and get back to his old-self but it's sometimes not that easy. Once you lower your guard to opposition players and they see the 'real' you, it doesn't matter how chiselled one can be, it's then a mental battle.

Up until this past season, Oliver was looked upto by his peers.
At various stages throughout the year however, players would look behind and notice Oliver giving chase and cheekily knew they had him covered. That is the concern for me.

Is Oliver capable of playing in a different position if called upon?
I give you Stengle

Lol Cornes this morning saying:

"It's not a criticism, but Geelong are the hardest club to deal with in terms of getting fair value for a player"

Then goes on to say the challenge will be how do they pay all these blokes (Oliver, Smith etc).

Then goes on to talk about how the Oliver deal ****ed over Melbourne and how Freo have done similarly with their ruck deals (two x $900k long term).

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back