Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Mackie said Melbourne's stance is 'all as he knows' but didn't Jumping Jack say Clayton reaffirmed his desire to move to the GFC to the club itself over the weekend?
FWIW I think there are only 2 posters here so far who have shown themselves to actually be all over the Oliver stuff... and those are the only 2 worth paying attention to.

Yet nobody seems to want him and higher-ups at Footscary are glad to be rid of him.

Ummkay.

He's out of contract. The Dogs have lost most of their leverage here. If this was 12 months ago, then fair enough, but not now.

Based on what I have seen and heard from all these list managers being interviewed..
Every player is valued highly, they won't be leaving the club or will be expected to get substantial picks for them if they do.
Going to be a quiet trade block if they are all going to refuse to accept lower than premium

Which of course they will do, it is all just chest beating for the media and fans, and then deals will get done as they always do and in 3 weeks time no one will remember all this shit anyway

He's an uncontracted player, so their options are essentially take what we are able to give, which I'm sure will include a first round pick and likely other picks, or be obstinate and walk him to the draft. Regardless of which path they choose, they don't get the player and in the latter they lose out on enhancing their draft hand considerably. It very rarely comes to that, and those clubs that do it wind up looking foolish.

That is a very concerning interview, if I'm Clayton Oliver. Literally says 'we never put him up for trade, Clayton loves us and will be happy playing for us next year.'

Well shit buddy, I doubt he's that certain, given he's having covert meetings on Stanley's farm, whilst liking Instagram posts that suggest he's coming to Geelong.

There's something seriously wrong at that footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's an uncontracted player, so their options are essentially take what we are able to give, which I'm sure will include a first round pick and likely other picks, or be obstinate and walk him to the draft. Regardless of which path they choose, they don't get the player and in the latter they lose out on enhancing their draft hand considerably. It very rarely comes to that, and those clubs that do it wind up looking foolish.
It always does my head in when club fans scream "we'll walk him to the draft!"
I asked someone once how that made sense, you will take NOTHING over something that isn't apparently good enough... how is that better for you?

And they can never answer... apparently it is a principle thing

There’s a very easy way to get Oliver to Geelong. Oliver advises MFC of going on a retreat to Tibetan monks. He has to take a vow of silence.

Geelong sends Oliver to Dr David Liu, Professor of Chemistry + Chemical Biology + Director of the Merkin Institute of Transformative Technologies, to change his DNA. It will also involve stopping the desire for drug taking + gambling. In addition Oliver’s transformation includes blonde hair, green eyes, olive skin, improved AFL skills + increased muscle density.

Oliver will send a rice paper scroll written in Abugida, to Connor’s Management, advising of his decision to become a monk.

This draft, Geelong recruited a player of the same height, build + appearance, at Pick 79, who will live happily ever after on a farm in the Geelong area, in a free house built by Simmonds. A new Ford truck every three years, lifetime GFC membership + a box at KP. Free Cotton On clothes. Up to you guys to give him a name. He will train until early February.

Oliver arrives slides seamlessly into the team.

It’s not rocket science 😉

Merkin Institute 🤭 🤭 🤭

But, Geelong not mentioned

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

I asked someone once how that made sense, you will take NOTHING over something that isn't apparently good enough... how is that better for you?

The Dennis Denuto method of trading, work just on the vibe rather than the returns

I have to say I loved how Andrew Mackie give saints President Andrew Bassatt a little whack today

Over the weekend I've seen a few Bulldogs fans who not only want to walk Smith to the draft, but they want the Bulldogs to re-draft Smith before he gets to our pick because that'll somehow screw us over - never mind that the Bulldogs don't currently have a ND pick before we do

That's the thing for a whole lot of Bulldogs fans at the moment - it's not about making the best of the situation with Smith wanting out, but rather how they (Bulldogs) can screw over Smith & Geelon

No shit fans always want their team to maximise the value at the trade table, but pretty sure we were never ones (at least not en masse) to say screw Kelly/WCE or Ratugolea/Port, the player can go to the draft & chance their luck - I'm sure we would have loved to have got more when trading out our players, but surely accepting slightly less than a premium is better than nothing

And we will likely get him anyway.

So we get Smith (makes it harder but I’d still back it in)

Dogs get zero for him.

Look, they gotta talk tough… because they are pushing for maximum return.

The Dogs will crack… they’ll trade him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back