Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Wonder if Campbell ( Swans) or O'Driscoll ( Flagmantle) are gettable?
Both have great left pegs , would boost our depth and improve ball movement between the arcs................

Nope to O'Driscoll

1728269093451.png

Wonder if Campbell ( Swans) or O'Driscoll ( Flagmantle) are gettable?
Both have great left pegs , would boost our depth and improve ball movement between the arcs................

Campbell has been the sub in two GF beltings, while the Swans start injured players on the ground. That'd be enough for me to request a trade!

I think if people think Smith is going to be the savior, they’re going to be disappointed
Very good player, helps our issues.
Doesn’t fix them
Correct.

Smith is an outside runner but not an inside bull (he should be a nice addition).

Oliver + Smith coming in together would make a massive difference.

Yep but he's too erratic in his personal life for it to work.
Cats are losing longtime leadership and Oliver needs support around him.

Maybe a couple years ago with Hawkins and co on call but not now.

I'm not blaming Oliver as he could have a diagnosed imbalance but the club is bringing in a young guy who may need his own enterarague already. One is enough for now.

.... until Harley signs on.
Yeah I agree I can see the spiral happening too

Over the weekend I've seen a few Bulldogs fans who not only want to walk Smith to the draft, but they want the Bulldogs to re-draft Smith before he gets to our pick because that'll somehow screw us over - never mind that the Bulldogs don't currently have a ND pick before we do

That's the thing for a whole lot of Bulldogs fans at the moment - it's not about making the best of the situation with Smith wanting out, but rather how they (Bulldogs) can screw over Smith & Geelon

No shit fans always want their team to maximise the value at the trade table, but pretty sure we were never ones (at least not en masse) to say screw Kelly/WCE or Ratugolea/Port, the player can go to the draft & chance their luck - I'm sure we would have loved to have got more when trading out our players, but surely accepting slightly less than a premium is better than nothing

Id have to imagine the AFLPA would step in if any club even got close to that. You have an opportunity to extend his contract, he says no, then you have the opportunity to trade him, and you decline to do that, only for that player to end up back at the club they dont want to be at and have no contract with? That would expose how ridiculous our contract system really is in the AFL, especially for players who do not qualify as Free Agents so end up in this limbo at the end of their contracts. But we dont do anything about it because it's never blown up into anything before.

In other sports Smith would be a Free Agent right now and the Dogs would have no say in where he goes. If the Dogs cared enough about his value, and the system was as mature as it should be, then they'd have traded him last year, or signed him to a deal aligned with his apparent value to them.

Saints getting pick 8 in the draft as compensation for losing Josh Battle. What a joke! Battle is barely an above average player. He averages 16 disposals a game.

I think if people think Smith is going to be the savior, they’re going to be disappointed
Very good player, helps our issues.
Doesn’t fix them
Which should also be reflected in what we pay for him, as well as an ACL discount.

Geelong's first round pick has slipped to 17 and will probably slip further before free trade period is over at the end of the week. Are the Dogs going to be happy with pick 17 for BS?

“He has never been offered for trade.”
Tim Lamb

So, Oliver being offered in 2023 + Geelong showing interest was false?

Pert peddling him behind his back the week before last was false?

MFC suggesting to Gieschen, Connors Management make some calls was false?

🤥

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saints getting pick 8 in the draft as compensation for losing Josh Battle. What a joke! Battle is barely an above average player. He averages 16 disposals a game.

Andrew Basset has a whinge about the AFL talent pathways favouring northern clubs -> StKilda lose a Free Agent -> AFL send pick 8 to StKilda for said free agent so they stop criticising the AFL and keep the gravy train flowing to northern clubs.

What Josh Battle is actually worth doesnt really factor in here.

Which should also be reflected in what we pay for him, as well as an ACL discount.

If Smith hadn't been a top 10 pick I doubt this would be an issue. He's come off an ACL as you say and prior had 2 seasons where he failed to finish in the top 10 in their b&f. 17 sounds generous when you think about it. 17 plus change they should be running with.

Does a random Twitter detective think he has busted Geelong for salary cap violations?

Not salary cap, he thinks he's somehow busted the idea that Geelong -> Ford sponsorship is the longest, continual sponsorship in the sporting world

The Bold And The Beautiful Welcome To Bizarro World GIF by CBS

Geelong really does live rent free in the heads so many oppo teams’ fans
😹 😹 😹

Umm silence of the Lamb when ignoring the elephant in the room here IMHO, Olivers mental state and personal issues being swept under the carpet or ignored. I would hope Lamb isn't denying Claytons wishes without his best outcomes in life being at the forefront of consideration.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back