Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Both those players look way to competent to have one of them be Melb
Miss Wow GIF by Tennis TV

Better?

Last edited:
Neal-Bullen is a bloody ordinary footballer.
With pick 28, they will find a better player in this year's draft.
With all due respect you obviously haven’t watched the guy play footy
Very underrated and would play in every side in the competition

They've treated him like something stuck to the sole of their shoe..... he'll have no intense love for the jumper, no drive to play for the jumper.....if he plays there next year it'll strictly be a business transaction whereby he'll present at the workplace, just do his thing, and collect his pay at the end of each week.

His incentive to excel as a representative of the MFC has all but been extinguished you'd think. A very awkward situation.

I don't know so much, he's so skilled he'd be very competitive, can't see him wanting to sit around with his hand out on payday. Plus he seems to love his team mates and it's reciprocated. Mates, but all cool on the Club. If Melbs have any sense they'd reassure him-patch and pray.

I don't know so much, he's so skilled he'd be very competitive, can't see him wanting to sit around with his hand out on payday. Plus he seems to love his team mates and it's reciprocated. Mates, but all cool on the Club. If Melbs have any sense they'd reassure him-patch and pray.

Maybe.....but 'wanting out' tells me he senses no enjoyment or fulfilling playing for the MFC anymore, and it'd therefore be hard for him to put his heart into it.

Not sure how the club would reassure him now.....anything they say would sound hollow and he wouldn't be trusting them any further than he could kick 'em.

Get your point, but there'll be nothing to hear around these parts but crickets for the next couple of weeks otherwise.

This also

We could always request that all Smith chat be taken to the dedicated Smith thread, and with Mackie shooting down Oliver chat, that we moved on from that lime of discussion and then suddenly it's thumb twiddling time

I think "we" (collective mind) look at trades being made between other teams and then use that to help form trade values or re-evaluations of players as we go through this time period, and also how difficult it may be to deal with certain clubs at the trade table

Brad Close would get us a first rounder then if you rate Neal-Bullen that highly
Think he's a little bit better than what you described though. Would say he's been a good role player.
Probably worth a late 2nd rounder in trade. Something in the 30s. Useful player that will help you win games but not be the reason you win games. If that makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get your point, but there'll be nothing to hear around these parts but crickets for the next couple of weeks otherwise.
And that will be the next 5 months.
Some people are right into this. I'm not.

I dont mind trade talk when it effects us directly. i.e. compo picks that push our first rounder out.
I have little time for the draft. With the exception of where I think future holes need to be filled. And they are KPB, KPF, Ruck.

each to their own.
This trade period will explode with $36 million more dollars on the table per year. We dont need to hear it all. Bigfooty has a place for that.

I dont mind trade talk when it effects us directly. i.e. compo picks that push our first rounder out.
I have little time for the draft. With the exception of where I think future holes need to be filled. And they are KPB, KPF, Ruck.

each to their own.
This trade period will explode with $36 million more dollars on the table per year. We dont need to hear it all. Bigfooty has a place for that.

Yeah, I'm not interested in the minutae of other deals, but I do find some interest in the chat about our potential trades, and others that may have some knock on effect to our dealings.

It's quite possible there'll be nothing concrete on any deals we make until the very last minute, so I can see some more generalised chatter here to pass the time.

each to their own.

Lol so not to be too flippant, but, if most people do want to hear it and they think it's the place for discussing it...why not just tune out or take time away if it's not what you want to hear?

This is a place for everyone to discuss, not just Tony Barber. You said it yourself 'some people might be right into this... I'm not.' if you're not, that's cool. But respect that others might be and don't try and shut down the conversation because it's not what you want to read. There are other perspectives/other viewpoints that matter too.

Anticipating 17 + 38 for Smith + 47.

Dogs can argue they got early teens ‘equivalent’ for Smith which is about right and is theoretically better than our original pick 15 by itself.

Both teams can manage optics that they had to adjust the trade given the afl surprised everyone by giving 8 to StK for Battle and pushed our R1 pick back, etc.

Then by the time bids come at draft, 17 turns into early 20s - so it’s ultimately ok for us anyway, and at the time the trade was done, all parties get to save a little face and get Smith to the Cats.

Also has the side benefit of retaining maximum flexibility for next year’s picks if something continues to bubble away, or we want to trade back in to this year’s round 1 on draft night.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It will be 17 + future 2nd and both clubs supporters will argue that they don't like the deal.

It's amazing Ajang Kuol Mun has been invited.. he only played a handful of games for us

He's still a rookie pick only for me but there's a lack of ruck depth in the comp. Someone will take a flier on him.

🤔

We know that North has already completed a trade for Darling, Luke Parker has requested a trade, but they're also connected to Caleb Daniel and reportedly made an approach to Dan Houston

I know North hasn't had the best of times over recent seasons, but they have some decent kids - wonder if any are of their players looking at the trading spree who may be wanting to consider their own future

🤔

We know that North has already completed a trade for Darling, Luke Parker has requested a trade, but they're also connected to Caleb Daniel and reportedly made an approach to Dan Houston

I know North hasn't had the best of times over recent seasons, but they have some decent kids - wonder if any are of their players looking at the trading spree who may be wanting to consider their own future
Doubt it. They have a lot of replaceable footballers currently playing.
Getting 3-4 good trades in would only see them be the one's squeezed out. Who are hardly the one's to be interested in.

Scotty Gullen thinking it's not dead is a little eye brow raising given he's hays got a pretty direct line to the Cats, I think he's spitballing here though
Everyone needs to stop reaching, the Oliver thing is dead and buried, its not happening

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back