Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Well in those circumstances Geelong wouldn't be able to make a trade happen. Melbourne has to be the one tearing up the contract or it's dead.

If the Cats are waiting for Oliver to call for a trade to them then they'll left at the altar waiting because it's not going to happen that way
Yeah I just think it was a really interesting choice of words from Mackie.

You could tell he was trying his best not to lie.

He hasn't completely shut it down and from what I could gather still thinks this is a chance of going ahead, but it really is up to Oliver now to force Melbourne's hand.

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk

Yeah I just think it was a really interesting choice of words from Mackie.

You could tell he was trying his best not to lie.

He hasn't completely shut it down and from what I could gather still thinks this is a chance of going ahead, but it really is up to Oliver now to force Melbourne's hand.

year of the cat has had pretty good info on this so far and not long posted that Oliver is not likely to pursue a trade now.

What has transpired today after all the pleasing and reassuring comments that Oliver was staying at Demonland. In case I'm jumping at shadows...

Have nothing to do with Geelong apart from membership, and I would be disappointed if we took on that project. He is in the news for good reasons, and we should not be the club that is interested imho.

Stengle- Yes, it worked, but still there are concerns.

Mitch Clark- failed
Jack Steven- failed

Clayton Oliver- please, no thanks

Bailey Smith also gives me bad vibes.

It's not 100% based on footy, player selection that is, and the old "good character" description should be heavy in this decision making, and I get this is reflecting my age to some extent, but whoever these "higher ups " are at Geelong, I commend them.
Oliver and Smith together would have been a bit of a leap into the unknown in terms of off field management
Our so called ‘culture’ May have taken a big hit if things went sideways . Happy to let Clayton marinate in the demons fishpond and see what develops.
maybe get him for chips next year…

None of that makes sense, we wouldn't have met with him if we weren't interested, they would have had to get permission from the higher ups beforehand and by all reports it was a good meeting, Melbourne have categorically shut it down so to have another club in play would make them
seem even more stupid and backtracking once again, not saying its not the info you have gotten but im highly doubting the legitimacy of it.
There are always disagreements within a football on who we should trade for so who knows. I'm just reporting what I have been told.

My information tonight is that Oliver is unlikely to continue to pursue a trade to us.
St Kilda coming hard

Well in those circumstances Geelong wouldn't be able to make a trade happen. Melbourne has to be the one tearing up the contract or it's dead.

If the Cats are waiting for Oliver to call for a trade to them then they'll left at the altar waiting because it's not going to happen that way

As if Oliver's manager hasn't made it perfectly clear to Mackey where he stands by now.
For politeness, considering we facilitated a meeting for them- The Clarry team would want to stay in the good books just in case -anything can happen in future seasons.
Mackey appeared to be telling the truth- it's up to Oliver. I say call made either way.

My take on this is that the only reason why he is staying with Melbourne is because we don't have the picks to satisfy them.

If we did, then he would be gone quick sticks, it's just Pert didn't count on Oliver wanting Geelong. He was probably hoping he would go to Crows (Which he was linked to last year) and the Crows have pick 4 or someone like Saints/Tigers who will have a good draft hand.

I think Oliver will realise that he's been burnt twice now by Melbourne shopping him around.

Pettraca and Pert since the end of the season (while not publicly) made it clear they want him out. He is not wanted by Melbourne and if it wasn't for his contract, he would already be out.

Geelong's point of view and given Oliver's age, it either happens this year or won't happen at all.

Another Melb club is in play with Oliver. I'm still getting told certain higher ups at Geelong don't want Oliver here 🤷‍♂️

Interesting. I haven’t heard this. All I’ve heard is we are deeply into him but over the weekend haven’t had any updates. I think Geelong are playing their hand face up. Melbourne are just completely volatile and unpredictable. I wouldn’t be shocked if they went and traded him to a desperate Melbourne based club prepared to offer more… if they can convince Oliver. But imagine if they were to say now, “oh, North want you by the way… so…”, they’ve snookered themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interesting. I haven’t heard this. All I’ve heard is we are deeply into him but over the weekend haven’t had any updates. I think Geelong are playing their hand face up. Melbourne are just completely volatile and unpredictable. I wouldn’t be shocked if they went and traded him to a desperate Melbourne based club prepared to offer more… if they can convince Oliver. But imagine if they were to say now, “oh, North want you by the way… so…”, they’ve snookered themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They'd want to be pretty damn sure that Oliver was fine to be traded somewhere else - or we'll get him for a firesale. All his manager would have to do is turn around and say 'this is the third time you said he won't be traded, now you're in talks with the Saints to send him there for a better pick, Oliver wants to go to Geelong and will not return after your repeated poor conduct.'

Honestly, the best thing they can do now is call it a day and revisit this next year. Don't see Oliver pushing if Melbourne don't say/do anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Art Vandelay_
How did I find out Ollie Dempsey was Christian?

1.He thanked God in his rising star speech, 2. went to Carey Grammar and 3.he had a Bible verse written on his wrist in the finals.
1. That's significant
2. That's almost irrelevant
3. What was the verse?

What has transpired today after all the pleasing and reassuring comments that Oliver was staying at Demonland. In case I'm jumping at shadows...

Have nothing to do with Geelong apart from membership, and I would be disappointed if we took on that project. He is in the news for good reasons, and we should not be the club that is interested imho.

Stengle- Yes, it worked, but still there are concerns.

Mitch Clark- failed
Jack Steven- failed

Clayton Oliver- please, no thanks

Bailey Smith also gives me bad vibes.

It's not 100% based on footy, player selection that is, and the old "good character" description should be heavy in this decision making, and I get this is reflecting my age to some extent, but whoever these "higher ups " are at Geelong, I commend them.

However, I highly respect the way our administration functions, and if in their reckoning these 2 are good for us, I will buy into it.
I agree, Bailey Smith trade gives me bad vibes too. I really hope the club has undertaken a rigorous due diligence process.

Oliver will be traded to us there wouldn’t be this much noise if there was nothing in it

There WAS something in it, but it seems to be as flat as a paper bag now.

There'd have to be a seismic shift for it to happen now you'd think. He's committed to a 6yr contract and it seems Melbourne are determined to hold him to it.

Hard to see how that all changes. Further to that is the fact that Oliver hasn't officially nominated Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back