Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

year of the cat has had pretty good info on this so far and not long posted that Oliver is not likely to pursue a trade now.

If I hear that anything changes I’ll let you know. But at this stage anyway it’s dead.

Art Vandelay_
How did I find out Ollie Dempsey was Christian?

He thanked God in his rising star speech, went to Carey Grammar and he had a Bible verse written on his wrist in the finals.
Not sure I ever asked the question but we can file this away under TIL.

It always does my head in when club fans scream "we'll walk him to the draft!"
I asked someone once how that made sense, you will take NOTHING over something that isn't apparently good enough... how is that better for you?

And they can never answer... apparently it is a principle thing

You obviously didn’t read this forum last year when esava wanted to get to port

Of course Melbourne are trying to bury this. I mean what else was Green going to say at the best and fairest?

People saying that its dead and buried are taking Melbourne's word for it that it is. They are trying to save face, but by shopping a player around with 6 years to go on a contract (again), they have taken it way too far and Oliver has taken offence.

Why would he, Hocking, Mackie, Stewart and Stanley meet if they didn't think there was a distinct possibility that a trade was possible.

Also, I would be suprised if this was the first time they have met. This time it was just made public.

This will only go away once Oliver publicly declares that he will be donning the red and blue next year. Until then, there is still a distinct possibility he gets traded.

Melbourne will lose whatever bargaining power they have left if they came out too early and say they are open to a trade. I mean it's only Day 1 of the trade period.

I would not be surprised if this all came to a head on the last day of the trade period. Oliver will at the last minute declare publicly "make me a cat" or else I will sit out season 2025. Melbourne will then be forced to trade.

I'm sure the Cats hireachy have war gamed this scenario. They are not stupid and will wait for Oliver to make his next move.

The big if, is when Oliver's next move will be.

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No idea where the CO situation sits can’t help but think it doesn’t hurt to have it bubbling away in the background during the BS negotiations Mackie seems a shrewd operator so far.
Max Holmes thought so too at one pointhttps://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/geelong-cats/geelong-best-and-fairest-winner-max-holmes-really-excited-by-prospect-of-playing-with-bailey-smith-and-clayton-oliver/news-story/6a65f6c2459d2eca2eae506b09082187

Max Holmes thought so too at one pointhttps://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/sport/afl/geelong-cats/geelong-best-and-fairest-winner-max-holmes-really-excited-by-prospect-of-playing-with-bailey-smith-and-clayton-oliver/news-story/6a65f6c2459d2eca2eae506b09082187

Smart by Maxy, this is recruiting 101 by Cats players.
Don’t outright say anything that will get the club in trouble, but basically SELL that the Cats is where you want to be and that our players WANT guys to be here. Not worrying about their own stats or egos, just selling how good the team would be by adding guys to the fold.

A Finals club, a winning club, a club where we don’t tolerate the basket case bullshit.

There is talk around Toby Greene may have hit the wall. Still a solid player but no longer the game changer so Stringer could be a handy inclusion.
Yeah Stringer as third banana behind Hogan and Cadman

Not sure where that leaves Riccardi though

Bulldogs list manager confirmed today that they have met with Mackie and co. He indicated they want more than our first rounder but made it sound like things were moving in the right direction.

A prototype of the deal has probably already been done. Mack made it sound like the deal basically just had to be signed off.

Power made it sound like he was using big bluff filled words to appease their fan base who are out for blood, a 23 year old kid is absolutely making them go mental on the Doggies board, seen all kind of physical threats and wishing him to do his ACL…****ing mental 🤣

I reckon this’ll get done for that 2024 First and Future 2nd. I’m sure Mack basically came into negotiations with the straight up “You’re not getting two firsts for him, we both know that”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course Melbourne are trying to bury this. I mean what else was Green going to say at the best and fairest?

People saying that its dead and buried are taking Melbourne's word for it that it is. They are trying to save face, but by shopping a player around with 6 years to go on a contract (again), they have taken it way too far and Oliver has taken offence.

Why would he, Hocking, Mackie, Stewart and Stanley meet if they didn't think there was a distinct possibility that a trade was possible.

Also, I would be suprised if this was the first time they have met. This time it was just made public.

This will only go away once Oliver publicly declares that he will be donning the red and blue next year. Until then, there is still a distinct possibility he gets traded.

Melbourne will lose whatever bargaining power they have left if they came out too early and say they are open to a trade. I mean it's only Day 1 of the trade period.

I would not be surprised if this all came to a head on the last day of the trade period. Oliver will at the last minute declare publicly "make me a cat" or else I will sit out season 2025. Melbourne will then be forced to trade.

I'm sure the Cats hireachy have war gamed this scenario. They are not stupid and will wait for Oliver to make his next move.

The big if, is when Oliver's next move will be.

Sent from my SM-S926B using Tapatalk

He had lunch with TBone and was hanging out with Selwood. Cats blue chippers making him feel at home.

As much as Oliver would help our midfield, it would cost more than a F1 pick and over $1m a year.
Imagine we use that on an A grade ruck/fwd. Would improve the performance of all our midfielders.
For one, TDK will be a free agent next year and if we pay him over $1m a season Carlton will get top compo.

As much as Oliver would help our midfield, it would cost more than a F1 pick and over $1m a year.
Imagine we use that on an A grade ruck/fwd. Would improve the performance of all our midfielders.
For one, TDK will be a free agent next year and if we pay him over $1m a season Carlton will get top compo.
I doubt anyone is going to be paying full freight for him. Not in wage, not in picks

Talk it up as hard as you can but in the end its like the guy who waved the sword at Indiana Jones…. who really wins and who loses if they do not trade him. Geelong may or may not get him in the draft….but the Dogs definitely lose…

My bet is Geelong give a bit , add a late pick of some sort …. the Dogs grumble and complain and call Geelong hard to deal with … and then come draft the pick a kid who they think was in the top 5 or 10 players ..and are amazed that he got thru to their pick

I suspect that what has happened is that Melbourne have realised that they have a large cultural problem, and a big part of it is Clayton's behaviour.

I suspect that they want to be rid of him, but without torching his trade value completely - hence the difference between the public declarations, and the private sale.

Talk it up as hard as you can but in the end its like the guy who waved the sword at Indiana Jones…. who really wins and who loses if they do not trade him. Geelong may or may not get him in the draft….but the Dogs definitely lose…

My bet is Geelong give a bit , add a late pick of some sort …. the Dogs grumble and complain and call Geelong hard to deal with … and then come draft the pick a kid who they think was in the top 5 or 10 players ..and are amazed that he got thru to their pick

Fun fact: that was meant to be a climactic sword fight scene but Ford had succumbed to food poisoning and improvised by shooting him instead. Was left in the movie.

Carey Baptist Grammar
I went to that school. It's not massively religious, certainly not compared to the Catholic institutions. We had Religious Ed in Year 7, and chapel for half an hour once a fortnight IIRC. There certainly wasn't any kind of serious indoctrination.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back