Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

No idea where the CO situation sits can’t help but think it doesn’t hurt to have it bubbling away in the background during the BS negotiations Mackie seems a shrewd operator so far.
In hindsight he's the perfect guy for the job. Quick wit, gave a lot of lip on the field.

He's not a dumbarse by any stretch and brims with confidence which is always welcome at the negotiating table.

Link?

A NSW Journalist …probably still floating in a panther cloud of delusion …or alternativly … doesnt know the difference between a Tom and a Sam and Cat and a Blue
Hey! Wash your mouth out TC
🧼🫧🫧🫧🧼
NSW’shmen are the greatest sport supporters in the entire world!

Hope you’re not salty the
Cat Wave GIF

Defeated
storm GIF

🤭 🤭 🤭

Just teasing TC 🤗

He’s obviously a massive DH, brain still sozzled :drunk:

Which team?

And do we really think that list managers are going to say too much at the end of day one of the trade period - they know it's a long week, lots of stuff will get said behind closed doors but it's not things they're going to make public at least not too early
No of course I don't expect them to actually share but the length of the trade period allows for so much posturing until push comes to shove next week.

There's lots of "talks didn't really progress, or we didn't discuss that yet, we had a conversation but it didn't progress further etc" and then we all wait until late next week when they actually need to get serious.

It just makes all this week feel pretty wasteful and it's such a charade. Not a big a problem to be concerned about but I think we could make it a week, Monday 9am to Friday 5pm (or 7.30 if we want the TV drama).

Hey …. I think I won first trade lotto … the Hyphen to the crows...

….. As expected Melbourne premiership player Alex Neal-Bullen has been traded to Adelaide in exchange for pick 28.
Yay TC 👏🏻 👏🏻 👏🏻

Ignoring the trade details. . .
So Dees will trade to Crows. . .

BUT, to Geelong. . .
IMG_0788.jpeg

Geelong will attempt to trade pick 17 for Western Bulldogs’ Bailey Smith before considering whether the jet ballwinner would make it to the Cats in the national draft.

The Cats are happy to swap their first-round draft pick but have so far baulked at the Dogs’ demands for a secondary selection as well in exchange for the 23-year-old.

It leaves the two clubs at an early loggerheads with rival clubs expecting the Smith deal to be one of the most protracted and frustrating negotiations of this year’s trade period.

Dogs’ list boss Sam Power set the tone for the discussions on Monday saying he thought “Bailey was worth a lot” due to his on-field prowess and off-field marketability.

But the Cats may have the upper hand in discussions because of the view rival clubs would be reluctant to use a first-round draft pick on Smith if he slipped through to the national draft.

Smith has been open about some mental health issues which he has faced throughout his career which has included a year-long recovery from a knee reconstruction this season.

This year’s draft is also exciting recruiters for its quality and depth in the first-round, adding to the potential Smith would still be available at the Cats first pick.

Former Collingwood and St Kilda onballer Luke Ball made it to the Magpies at pick 30 in 2009 while ex-Carlton forward Jack Martin was taken by the Blues in the 2019 preseason draft.

Geelong football boss Andrew Mackie said the Cats had every intention of striking a trade with the Dogs, but did not reveal the price the club was prepared to pay.

“I will keep that between Sam and I and those conversations, as I said, it is great that Bailey wants to come, and he is out of contract,” Mackie said.

“Our intention is to do a trade and make sure the Bulldogs are compensated.”

Mackie said Geelong appealed to Smith for a number of reasons after playing on the fringes of the Dogs’ midfield brigade over his career.

The Cats want Smith to play inside the centre square for the first time in his career to bolster their onball options.

“Bailey has been spending a little bit of time in Geelong over the past couple of years and likes the idea of spending more time down there,” Mackie said.

“On field clearly he has some assets but I think without going into too much detail he gives us flexibility from an on-field point of view.

“There is a lot of water to go under the bridge before he is a Cats’ player.”

Power, who has a reputation as a tough negotiator, said Smith was a quality proposition who the club wanted to keep.

“He (smith) has got all the attributes of the modern game. Can play in the midfield,” Power said.

“We have seen him influence lots of games. Highly marketable.”

Geelong is excited by the potential to help former Blue Jack Martin overcome his soft tissue injuries, while the Dogs are keen to keep Caleb Daniel, who is weighing up his future.

Geelong will attempt to trade pick 17 for Western Bulldogs’ Bailey Smith before considering whether the jet ballwinner would make it to the Cats in the national draft.

The Cats are happy to swap their first-round draft pick but have so far baulked at the Dogs’ demands for a secondary selection as well in exchange for the 23-year-old.
He is worth the secondary selection, to be honest, but I'd like to see a later pick coming back.

Sam Power drawing a long bow citing Smiths marketability in trade negotiations
Not sure I've ever seen that lever pulled to increase a players trade value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My guess is that it'll be a swap of a F2 for F3 or current 3.
Yeah something like this
They'll want 2 firsts
We probably offer a first and third maybe a second back
They settle with a first and exchanging current or future second/thirds

And of course it goes down to the wire

I went to that school. It's not massively religious, certainly not compared to the Catholic institutions. We had Religious Ed in Year 7, and chapel for half an hour once a fortnight IIRC. There certainly wasn't any kind of serious indoctrination.
I have mates who went there and they were active Christians. I don’t imagine it indoctrinated anyone, but it would be a safe space that a Christian family wanted their kid to be at?

I was more answering Vdubs saying it was largely irrelevant to him being a Christian.

Broadly speaking though, good for Ollie, seems like a wonderful positive presence in the club and absolutely respectful of his teammates, coaches and the fans.

Sam Power drawing a long bow citing Smiths marketability in trade negotiations
Not sure I've ever seen that lever pulled to increase a players trade value
Stepping back a little - The Bulldogs are not the right club for Bailey to use to build his influencer career. THey are very much a workman style (Dunkley when he was there, Easton Wood, Libba, Bob Murphy). Even Bont would probably do better marketing himself at a bigger club.

Collingwood may have worked, if the Daicos boys weren't there. Likewise Hawthorn, if the Rat pack wasnt there doing their own thing.

I would probably say that overall Melbourne is a bit crowded with alot of high profile players chasing the opportunity to work with brands - and there are only so many marketing dollars out there.

Maybe Sydney could have worked for him.

Bailey (the brand) needs a club that lets him shine and reach his audience - and not be crowded within a group of guys who are all chasing the same thing in a smaller footprint area.

With Geelong, he can probably really rachet up his appeal using the beach vibe. Being a recognised face of regional Victoria is something he could actually achieve. And stars like Cameron and Dangerfield are doing their own thing and not crowding each other for advertising and marketing opportunities. Guys like SDK, Stewart, Holmes and Stengle, the next in line appear to have zero interest in a marketing profile at this stage.

Stepping back a little - The Bulldogs are not the right club for Bailey to use to build his influencer career. THey are very much a workman style (Dunkley when he was there, Easton Wood, Libba, Bob Murphy). Even Bont would probably do better marketing himself at a bigger club.

Collingwood may have worked, if the Daicos boys weren't there. Likewise Hawthorn, if the Rat pack wasnt there doing their own thing.

I would probably say that overall Melbourne is a bit crowded with alot of high profile players chasing the opportunity to work with brands - and there are only so many marketing dollars out there.

Bailey (the brand) needs a club that lets him shine and reach his audience - and not be crowded within a group of guys who are all chasing the same thing in a smaller footprint area.

With Geelong, he can probably really rachet up his appeal using the beach vibe. Being a recognised face of regional Victoria is something he could actually achieve. And stars like Cameron and Dangerfield are doing their own thing and not crowding each other for advertising and marketing opportunities. Guys like SDK, Stewart, Holmes and Stengle, the next in line appear to have zero interest in a marketing profile at this stage.
Smith has 857 endorsements already, so he will do okay at any club.

In saying that, I believe Geelong will be a better fit for that stuff and enhance what is already a hugely successful and working online influencer career.

All he needs to do is take a pic holding a product and companies will continually send him $$$

I just want him to get a kick though... the kid is rich enough.

Lol if he’s basing on where he wants to play purely on marketing he can GAGF

Desperate comment from the dumb dogs, basically inferring he could get more marketing playing for the Cats. Yet his Cotton On contract came to him while he was with them. Would think a players good looks are solely attributable to genes, and his own motivation off field. Trying to put lipstick on a pig they don't own.

I went to that school. It's not massively religious, certainly not compared to the Catholic institutions. We had Religious Ed in Year 7, and chapel for half an hour once a fortnight IIRC. There certainly wasn't any kind of serious indoctrination.

Me too. I found the reverend a bit over the top with some of his sermons in the pyramid . Remember that building? I’m from an agnostic/atheist family, so it used to make me laugh. I was a lot less tolerant of religion during my school days.

Me too. I found the reverend a bit over the top with some of his sermons in the pyramid . Remember that building? I’m from an agnostic/atheist family, so it used to make me laugh. I was a lot less tolerant of religion during my school days.
Depends which year you graduated (I was 2003... old old man now)! Yeah, the Chapel was actually a pretty cool building - I used to drop by after school in Year 12 to teach myself drums on that shitty old kit they had there.

I had the same kind of antagonistic response to the religious element, but thankfully they kept it pretty divorced from the actual academic education.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back