Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Channel 10 news going with Clayton still wants to be a Cat and the Melbourne playing group wants him out

Melbourne wants a first round pick and us to pay the whole contract.

Tell them their dreaming

Just my opinion - id give Melb that 1st round pick for him which will be about pick 20 i think and Geel pay 850k-900k to Oliver each year and Melb pick up the rest

You look at Sav who to be kind is very ordinary , ive heard some trade commentators say Port Ade should try to move him on , Geel got basically pick 25 for him and Port are paying him 700k a year

And to Bailey Smith , id say thanks Bailey , but no thanks , Geel are after Premierships , not Cleo Centrefolds

A first would only be involved for Oliver if Melb pays a huge amount of that stupid contract

Considering they are still paying for Grundy I doubt they’ll do it …3rd rounder if the club is paying the full contract and I doubt the club would be that stupid to take on the full contract

Just my opinion - id give Melb that 1st round pick for him which will be about pick 20 i think and Geel pay 850k-900k to Oliver each year and Melb pick up the rest

You look at Sav who to be kind is very ordinary , ive heard some trade commentators say Port Ade should try to move him on , Geel got basically pick 25 for him and Port are paying him 700k a year

And to Bailey Smith , id say thanks Bailey , but no thanks , Geel are after Premierships , not Cleo Centrefolds
Don't think you can ditch Smith at this point, but I agree that Oliver on $850k is a good deal provided he gets back to his best.

Bailey trade has already been agreed to in principle , they are just drawing it out for the drama of the trade week as per AFL instructions

97% of all trades are just like this

That would go great for other players thinking about coming to us..

Player goes to manager what about Geelong
Manager goes na they **** people over who they said they wanted

Geelong crying in a corner as they are no longer a destination club

To turn our back on Smith after all that's been said and done would be such a disaster I can barely describe it. The GFC would be poison for years to come.
There is no way known that the club walks away from Bailey, so worry not.

A first would only be involved for Oliver if Melb pays a huge amount of that stupid contract

Considering they are still paying for Grundy I doubt they’ll do it …3rd rounder if the club is paying the full contract and I doubt the club would be that stupid to take on the full contract
The fact that Grundy is getting paid by at least 2 clubs maybe 3 i still find ****ing funny

That would be the #1 way to lose Smith, Oliver and any other interested party we've been talking with - not just this year but going forward

Player managers would shun calls from Mackie - why would they be interested in talking to a list manager who strings them along for 2 years, have their player publically declare that they'd want to play for the club only for the club to then turn around and say that they've found a shiny new toy to play with instead

Mackie & the club would become a laughing stock and that type of move sends you further away from a premiership than closer to it

Man the Dees decision makers would be under insane pressure right now. Everyone there wants him gone, he wants to go, the AFL want him out of the Dees, but there is no scenario with that contract they get more than a 1st and some change. Which will outrage Melb fans and probably send the footy media into a Randy Marsh-esque styled melt when news breaks the Cats have traded a future 1st for Clayton Oliver.
Wont touch him unless they pay some of the wage.

Imagine the slap in the face to our stars if all of a sudden oliver is getting 400k a year more than cameron and what hawkins selwood got in their primes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wont touch him unless they pay some of the wage.

Imagine the slap in the face to our stars if all of a sudden oliver is getting 400k a year more than cameron and what hawkins selwood got in their primes.

The report says we take “ a majority of his wage”. That could mean anything. I don’t think the team would mind if he’s on ~900k. They’ll understand it’s different circumstances

If the 2 clubs do a trade for Oliver and publicly say Geelong are paying the majority of the wage, would we ever know if that was actually the case. Melbourne could pay half and sell the story to the footy world that they are paying zero.

If that report is true about demons wanted a first round pick but haggling over who pays his contract then Oliver is likely to land at the cats. Because that sounds like normal trade haggling.
It could also be another reason the smith trade is being held up because we need to see how we can manage the picks across both trades.

I wonder if we might flip the picks and trade this years to Melbourne and the future to the dogs.

That would be the #1 way to lose Smith, Oliver and any other interested party we've been talking with - not just this year but going forward

Player managers would shun calls from Mackie - why would they be interested in talking to a list manager who strings them along for 2 years, have their player publically declare that they'd want to play for the club only for the club to then turn around and say that they've found a shiny new toy to play with instead

Mackie & the club would become a laughing stock and that type of move sends you further away from a premiership than closer to it

Blah blah blah blah

Oliver has come into Geelongs focus at very short notice , the Geelong players want him as evidenced by going to Stanleys farm to meet Rhys and Tom Stewart , and i think Selwood was also involved - and he would know 1st hand how good a player CO is

A couple of bottom lines - Oliver is a far superior footballer to B Smith , plus the Cats only have one 1st round pick , so that goes to Melb because he is a much better player

All this utter rubbish that no one will deal with Geel in the future , and some posters saying yeah we will have Oliver but we will pay 500k a year , and wont give the Dees a decent pick , that is fantasy land stuff

Blah blah blah blah

Oliver has come into Geelongs focus at very short notice , the Geelong players want him as evidenced by going to Stanleys farm to meet Rhys and Tom Stewart , and i think Selwood was also involved - and he would know 1st hand how good a player CO is

A couple of bottom lines - Oliver is a far superior footballer to B Smith , plus the Cats only have one 1st round pick , so that goes to Melb because he is a much better player

All this utter rubbish that no one will deal with Geel in the future , and some posters saying yeah we will have Oliver but we will pay 500k a year , and wont give the Dees a decent pick , that is fantasy land stuff

Where’d you get the idea we only have one first round pick?

Blah blah blah blah

Mate, you're being ridiculous. We're not going to forego Smith, for the 'chance' of landing Oliver. Smith has declared us as his new home, that's not changing.

Also, we have two first round picks, and it would be our Future going to Melbourne, so if they want one, it can be done. It just depends on if any of this was palatable to us.

If we backed out of the Smith deal and left him on an island, we'd look no better than Melbourne and what they're doing to Clayton. We're not that club, and we never will be. Once we commit to a player, the deal gets done.

I heard Stanley is putting the farm up for sale and Oliver wants to buy it hence why he was up there 😁😁😁 positive though if reports are true he wants to live on a farm in 2025. Get it done with smith and I’ll be pumped.

I can't lie... Initially thought NO WAY I'd give up our F1 for Oliver.

But him moving down to Gtown and living a quiet life on a big property/farm could do a world of good for him.

If the Dees pay enough to have us paying under 1 million a year... I reckon I'd cave and give our F1 up for him.

Giving up our F1 for Oliver makes it harder for the Doggies to play hardball on our F2.

Smith for R1
Oliver for F1

Yeah there's risk involved but I do think we could complain about that if it happens... Both those picks will be late for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back