Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

Mate, you're being ridiculous. We're not going to forego Smith, for the 'chance' of landing Oliver. Smith has declared us as his new home, that's not changing.

Also, we have two first round picks, and it would be our Future going to Melbourne, so if they want one, it can be done. It just depends on if any of this was palatable to us.

If we backed out of the Smith deal and left him on an island, we'd look no better than Melbourne and what they're doing to Clayton. We're not that club, and we never will be. Once we commit to a player, the deal gets done.

100% we're not that club ShadowCat: Bailey Smith WILL be a Geelong player with Oliver still a live chance..... GO CATS !!!

Blah blah blah blah

Oliver has come into Geelongs focus at very short notice , the Geelong players want him as evidenced by going to Stanleys farm to meet Rhys and Tom Stewart , and i think Selwood was also involved - and he would know 1st hand how good a player CO is

A couple of bottom lines - Oliver is a far superior footballer to B Smith , plus the Cats only have one 1st round pick , so that goes to Melb because he is a much better player

All this utter rubbish that no one will deal with Geel in the future , and some posters saying yeah we will have Oliver but we will pay 500k a year , and wont give the Dees a decent pick , that is fantasy land stuff
I think you’re in La La land if you think that the deal for Smith hasn’t already be agreed to , Smith has already brought a house in the area and multiple cats players already commenting on his post in instagram

It’s just a bit of drama …the Oliver one is more complex and hasn’t been in a long term development like Smith which was in negotiations for nearly a year. I suspect that they both will land here it’s just a matter of what Melb will pay or accept as picks depending on what amount of the salary either party will end up paying for Oliver

If I was going to be put on the sport I would say a first round pick for Oliver with a significant amount of the contract carried by Melb and a future first and round 2 picks for Smith

I would be very suprised if they both don’t get done

It seems to me that Melbourne have shot themselves in the foot but don’t wanna go to the hospital cos it’s embarrassing.
They shopped Oliver twice then backed up. Not a good look. Now Oliver feels rejected. Probably scarred his relationship with the Dees playing group permanently.
The most likely think standing between us and Oliver is the egos of Melbourne decision makers.
Future first and Melb pay $400k of his salary or enjoy watching Oliver phone in his performances and make the change rooms a toxic mess in 2025!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems to me that Melbourne have shot themselves in the foot but don’t wanna go to the hospital cos it’s embarrassing.
They shopped Oliver twice then backed up. Not a good look. Now Oliver feels rejected. Probably scarred his relationship with the Dees playing group permanently.
The most likely think standing between us and Oliver is the egos of Melbourne decision makers.
Future first and Melb pay $400k of his salary or enjoy watching Oliver phone in his performances and make the change rooms a toxic mess in 2025!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s all starting to look like the Treloar trade again where the club pushed him out and end up paying a bit of his salary for the privilege

On a side not im completely over this site page crashing and reloading mid post it’s been going on for months now having to retype everything once it refreshes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t heard anything recently. Sounds like this one is brewing from the Melb side rather than ours just at the moment. That c10 report might just provide a bit of a catalyst for further movement. Will let you know if I hear anything.

I'd wager Christian Petracca has said ''it's me or him'' - then ducked out of town.

a future first for Oliver + 40. Dees pay $350k of his salary (leaves us paying ~900k)

Then 17 + 40 for Smith.

We essentially get smith and Oliver for our first this year and next year and have a midfield of Oliver Holmes Smith (three A graders) for the next 5 years with a strong support cast (+ danger for 2 years as a burst).

Do it cats

a future first for Oliver + 40. Dees pay $350k of his salary (leaves us paying ~900k)

Then 17 + 40 for Smith.

We essentially get smith and Oliver for our first this year and next year and have a midfield of Oliver Holmes Smith (three A graders) for the next 5 years with a strong support cast (+ danger for 2 years as a burst).

Do it cats

Yeah dunno why there is hesitation here? If we can get Melbourne to cover the difference and we only end up paying $900k-$1M per year and it only costs us a first either this year or next id do it in a heartbeat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back