Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Blah blah blah blah

Oliver has come into Geelongs focus at very short notice , the Geelong players want him as evidenced by going to Stanleys farm to meet Rhys and Tom Stewart , and i think Selwood was also involved - and he would know 1st hand how good a player CO is

A couple of bottom lines - Oliver is a far superior footballer to B Smith , plus the Cats only have one 1st round pick , so that goes to Melb because he is a much better player

All this utter rubbish that no one will deal with Geel in the future , and some posters saying yeah we will have Oliver but we will pay 500k a year , and wont give the Dees a decent pick , that is fantasy land stuff

As of 8:04pm on 9 Oct - the bold is factually incorrect

Don't forget Smith & Oliver share the same management group - so at least if we decided to drop the pursuit of Smith for Oliver it would save having to make a second phone call. As part of that call though, it's likely there'd also be a mention from them that they'd be having a chat with their client (Oliver), and due to the lack of professionalism shown, I could see a suggesting that he'd be better reconsidering where he sees his future - not a good idea to piss off player managers, especially when multiple high profile players you're linked to share the same management group

And as for the idea what Oliver has only just come to our attention 😂

We've been linked to Oliver for over 12 months - there was plenty of discussion linking Geelong & Oliver this time last year and that talk hasn't gone away this past season

It may not have been seen as a high priority trade in the same manner that the Smith trade is viewed, as they would have known any trade rested on Melbourne, but this isn't some sudden interest that's only just come to the attention of the powers to be at the club - they would have had plans in place should talks ramp up

What would you say if Carlton did offer us pick 12 for SDK? And Geelong said No?
If Rioli under contract can get a pick 6 and still have the tigers also asking for an additional pick 13

SDK under contract would be worth a lot more than pick 12 …would it be fair? Nope and just shows how silly the tigers and GC are being

Clayton Oliver still wants out
Melbourne wants majority of his salary paid for and a first round pick.

Easy decision really for us.

Sign here
100%.

Premierships are won at the trade table these days. (Decent drafting & coaching essential too obviously).

Brisbane don’t win ‘24 without Daniher, Neale & Dunkley.
Pies don’t win by 4pts in ‘23 without NS medalist Bobby Hill’s 4.2
Cats don’t win ‘22 without GA medalist Danger, NS medalist Smith, Jez, Stengle. Even Rohan was essential for the QF.

Brisbane bottomed out, and pies missed finals a few years. Ditto Melbourne & Richmond who still needed to trade in Lever, May and Lynch.

We’re trying to contend WITHOUT going to the draft (much).

We only have THREE top 10 picks on our list; Clark, Danger and Bowes - all from shrewd trading! Bruhn + OHenry top 20. SDK & Holmes too.

Worked hard to be a destination club. Simply have to take more risks at the trade table than other clubs when A-grade talent presents itself.

One in the hand is worth two in the bush. No guarantee on Butters etc in ‘26.

Get Oliver in, sort the rest out later.

Use the rookie lists, young talent etc to keep salary cap down. Re-sign veterans on lower contracts.

I know we try to keep a pretty equal salary structure but as per Animal Farm; Some animals are more equal than others.

In terms of risk, not only will being away from the big smoke possibly temper his off-field but don’t forget he’s 27 and theoretically getting more mature every year. Most people party less and less as they near 30.

As of 8:04pm on 9 Oct - the bold is factually incorrect

Don't forget Smith & Oliver share the same management group - so at least if we decided to drop the pursuit of Smith for Oliver it would save having to make a second phone call. As part of that call though, it's likely there'd also be a mention from them that they'd be having a chat with their client (Oliver), and due to the lack of professionalism shown, I could see a suggesting that he'd be better reconsidering where he sees his future - not a good idea to piss off player managers, especially when multiple high profile players you're linked to share the same management group

And as for the idea what Oliver has only just come to our attention 😂

We've been linked to Oliver for over 12 months - there was plenty of discussion linking Geelong & Oliver this time last year and that talk hasn't gone away this past season

It may not have been seen as a high priority trade in the same manner that the Smith trade is viewed, as they would have known any trade rested on Melbourne, but this isn't some sudden interest that's only just come to the attention of the powers to be at the club - they would have had plans in place should talks ramp up

Dont forget that Oliver is a far superior footballer to Smith , that is the important bit .

100%.

Premierships are won at the trade table these days. (Decent drafting & coaching essential too obviously).

Brisbane don’t win ‘24 without Daniher, Neale & Dunkley.
Pies don’t win by 4pts in ‘23 without NS medalist Bobby Hill’s 4.2
Cats don’t win ‘22 without GA medalist Danger, NS medalist Smith, Jez, Stengle. Even Rohan was essential for the QF.

Brisbane bottomed out, and pies missed finals a few years. Ditto Melbourne & Richmond who still needed to trade in Lever, May and Lynch.

We’re trying to contend WITHOUT going to the draft (much).

We only have THREE top 10 picks on our list; Clark, Danger and Bowes - all from shrewd trading! Bruhn + OHenry top 20. SDK & Holmes too.

Worked hard to be a destination club. Simply have to take more risks at the trade table than other clubs when A-grade talent presents itself.

One in the hand is worth two in the bush. No guarantee on Butters etc in ‘26.

Get Oliver in, sort the rest out later.

Use the rookie lists, young talent etc to keep salary cap down. Re-sign veterans on lower contracts.

I know we try to keep a pretty equal salary structure but as per Animal Farm; Some animals are more equal than others.

In terms of risk, not only will being away from the big smoke possibly temper his off-field but don’t forget he’s 27 and theoretically getting more mature every year. Most people party less and less as they near 30.
Say it louder, for all the people with their heads in the sand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What would you say if Carlton did offer us pick 12 for SDK? And Geelong said No?
Donald Glover Reaction GIF

Dont forget that Oliver is a far superior footballer to Smith , that is the important bit .

Can I change 'is' to 'was' in regards to Oliver, and that there may be some debate as to whether he can regain that form

Meanwhile, Smith is a few years younger and we don't know how good he could become

Planet I want the players who will make us a premiership chance
I don’t get all the fuss about his contract, he’s the best fit for our club.
To improve our list, massively
So you want us to recruit a gambling drug addict among other things who hasn't played his best footy in over 2 years and you don't care how much we pay him?

So you want us to recruit a gambling drug addict among other things who hasn't played his best footy in over 2 years and you don't care how much we pay him?
Honestly, even if he did have addiction issues, that's the least of the problems I have with him. It's the way he has clearly pissed off his teammates time and again for 24 months, and his disregard for the property of others, that really screams caveat emptor.

It seems to me that Melbourne have shot themselves in the foot but don’t wanna go to the hospital cos it’s embarrassing.
They shopped Oliver twice then backed up. Not a good look. Now Oliver feels rejected. Probably scarred his relationship with the Dees playing group permanently.
The most likely think standing between us and Oliver is the egos of Melbourne decision makers.
Future first and Melb pay $400k of his salary or enjoy watching Oliver phone in his performances and make the change rooms a toxic mess in 2025!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I were to hazard a guess at what is happening, it's a strong divide between Goodwin, Pert and the playing group on one side - who just want to be rid of his shit - and the President and the board on the other. Left hand ain't talking to the right.

Lol 😹 I love it how they say Oliver wants to live on a Farm just outside of Geelong 😹
Love it.... Everyone wants to be a Farmer...

Jon Ceglar spent time living on his farm after joining Geelong

He's farm just happened to be a lazy 369km from KP - he had a farm at Yackandandah

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back