Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Honestly, even if he did have addiction issues, that's the least of the problems I have with him. It's the way he has clearly pissed off his teammates time and again for 24 months, and his disregard for the property of others, that really screams caveat emptor.
He definitely did have addiction issues. Where it's at right now I don't know and hopefully he's on top of it all but this bloke comes with risk.

The other points you make are valid also.

Planet I want the players who will make us a premiership chance
I don’t get all the fuss about his contract, he’s the best fit for our club.
To improve our list, massively
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Trade week* is an entertainment product.

That’s it. That’s the post.
Im waiting for the AFL to make it a ticketed event soon

and then the premium Draft and Trading channel that you have to pay for is next... for the latest Trading details subscribe to Trade 10 days... new at AFL.com....

god its awful.

GO Catters

So you want us to recruit a gambling drug addict among other things who hasn't played his best footy in over 2 years and you don't care how much we pay him?
Poker GIF by AllIn

Mate I’m happy to pay Melbourne 151%
I don’t care about the wage he’s on, every club can make it work.
If they really want to
Too many people on here obsessed with our cap and what players should and shouldn't be on. How much we should get players in for etc.

Let the club do its thing and manage it. They do it very well. If Oliver comes in and wins us a flag, no one will care if we're paying him $1M.

These are the kind of trades that keep us beating the system. We have enough young talent and still some elite older guys, we need elite talent in the 24 - 28 age bracket. That's Smith and Oliver.

Both with their own issues, yes, but we will back in our culture, leadership and system and hope like hell it all works.

No risk, no reward.

Just my opinion - id give Melb that 1st round pick for him which will be about pick 20 i think and Geel pay 850k-900k to Oliver each year and Melb pick up the rest

You look at Sav who to be kind is very ordinary , ive heard some trade commentators say Port Ade should try to move him on , Geel got basically pick 25 for him and Port are paying him 700k a year

And to Bailey Smith , id say thanks Bailey , but no thanks , Geel are after Premierships , not Cleo Centrefolds
Thanks for your opinion, but if we did that it would be a disaster.

Bailey Smith has been committed to, under no circumstances should we pull out of that deal.

If Port are paying Sav $700k per year that's stupid, and 100% on them. Whatever we would end up paying Oliver, on the other hand, is dictated by his existing contract and negotiations with Melbourne.

Too many people on here obsessed with our cap and what players should and shouldn't be on. How much we should get players in for etc.

Let the club do its thing and manage it. They do it very well. If Oliver comes in and wins us a flag, no one will care if we're paying him $1M.

These are the kind of trades that keep us beating the system. We have enough young talent and still some elite older guys, we need elite talent in the 24 - 28 age bracket. That's Smith and Oliver.

Both with their own issues, yes, but we will back in our culture, leadership and system and hope like hell it all works.

No risk, no reward.
You're contradicting yourself there.

On the one hand you say no-one would care if Oliver is paid a fortune, as long as he wins us a flag.

On the other hand you say that our culture, leadership and system is what's going to turn him back into the player we would need him to be to win us a flag.

The problem is that our "culture, leadership and system" is exactly what would be put at risk if we start bringing in troubled stars who are on money that is waaaay outside what everyone else is on. That is a recipe for a culture breakdown driven by resentment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Oliver coming to Geelong. I agree that we could well have the environment he needs to succeed to get back to his best, and Oliver at his best is exactly what we need. But it would be a huge mistake to sell the farm (so to speak) to get him in. Whatever he gets at Geelong needs to fit. Thankfully I think Mackie, Wells & co understand this and won't do anything stupid.

Blah blah blah blah

Oliver has come into Geelongs focus at very short notice , the Geelong players want him as evidenced by going to Stanleys farm to meet Rhys and Tom Stewart , and i think Selwood was also involved - and he would know 1st hand how good a player CO is

A couple of bottom lines - Oliver is a far superior footballer to B Smith , plus the Cats only have one 1st round pick , so that goes to Melb because he is a much better player

All this utter rubbish that no one will deal with Geel in the future , and some posters saying yeah we will have Oliver but we will pay 500k a year , and wont give the Dees a decent pick , that is fantasy land stuff
Thank god you're not our list manager. You'd turn us from a destination club to a pariah in no time.

Sounds to me like most people are saying they'd be happy to get him in on anything up to $1m/yr, and give Melbourne a first round pick for him. Sounds reasonable to me. My understanding is that on $1m he'd be in a similar ballpark as Cameron, which is high but not too high if he can get back to his best.

Still must consider TPP
Personally I wouldn't be offering a future 1st
If true and Melbourne players and admin want him out, I'd be starting with our F2nd round pick and $700k and staying with that until the last hour. If we're gonna be be bored with trade fortnight we should do it with hopeful anticipation
They want him out they need to give something up
Current first and a future 3rd to dogs for BS and their future 4th in return
Go hard Mack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're contradicting yourself there.

On the one hand you say no-one would care if Oliver is paid a fortune, as long as he wins us a flag.

On the other hand you say that our culture, leadership and system is what's going to turn him back into the player we would need him to be to win us a flag.

The problem is that our "culture, leadership and system" is exactly what would be put at risk if we start bringing in troubled stars who are on money that is waaaay outside what everyone else is on. That is a recipe for a culture breakdown driven by resentment.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Oliver coming to Geelong. I agree that we could well have the environment he needs to succeed to get back to his best, and Oliver at his best is exactly what we need. But it would be a huge mistake to sell the farm (so to speak) to get him in. Whatever he gets at Geelong needs to fit. Thankfully I think Mackie, Wells & co understand this and won't do anything stupid.
Thank you for writing what I couldn't be bothered to write.

Cats Give Dees - Future 1st + ‘24’ 3rd
Dees Give Cats - Oliver + ‘24’ 2nd
Cats Give Dogs - ‘24’ 1st + Dees 2nd
Dogs Give Cats - Smith + ‘24’ 3rd
I think we need to find another 2nd in this strategy from memory, or has the AFL stopped the mechanism where clubs can't trade 1st's and then other draft picks without having replacements for the traded picks from any one draft?

and then the premium Draft and Trading channel that you have to pay for is next... for the latest Trading details subscribe to Trade 10 days... new at AFL.com....

god its awful.

GO Catters
Don't give Hutchy ideas

god its awful.

GO Catters

I'm surprise that the AFL doesn't take the game in house, and makes the game pay per view in 1st and 4th quarters, 2nd and 3rd quarters are free.

No risk, no reward.
There is only one player in Geelong's history where we have paid him anything like that kind of money - Jeremy Cameron. Twelve months before signing, he'd had a 74-goal season, he plays the most valuable position in the game, and he's also a commensurate professional, a great team-mate, and he chose Geelong over 17 other clubs because he wanted to.

Clayton Oliver hasn't had a good season for 2 years, and his behaviour in the last two has been pretty diabolical. He's turned up to 2024 fat (by AFL standards), his teammates allegedly want him gone, he plays in the most popular role in the game (inside mid), he has off-field behavioural issues that he seems incapable of fixing, and he wants Geelong because that seems his last hope to get fixed.

The kind of trades that have us beating the system are the ones where we get really good players who come at cut-price because of our culture.

The way I heard the channel 10 report on Oliver was them saying Melbourne would give us a first round pick as "compensation" for us taking on most of his contract. That was the only way it made any sense to me.

i wonder if that would be this years first round pick which currently sits at #5

Or if they would try to push next years pick instead

I think we need to find another 2nd in this strategy from memory, or has the AFL stopped the mechanism where clubs can't trade 1st's and then other draft picks without having replacements for the traded picks from any one draft?
I was more thinking we cant trade our F1 and F2, dont think it matters if we get a 2nd or a 4th as long as we have picks for draft night

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back