Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Planet I want the players who will make us a premiership chance
I don’t get all the fuss about his contract, he’s the best fit for our club.
To improve our list, massively
Only IF Oliver regains good % of form. I’m certainly aware it will be less than 100%. When fit + healthy he’ll provide our midfield with the huge injection we need, add Smith + our young guns improving, it’s very exciting.

He definitely did have addiction issues. Where it's at right now I don't know and hopefully he's on top of it all but this bloke comes with risk.

The other points you make are valid also.
Oliver has ADHD + was struggling to balance the dose to an effective level.

Add recreational substances, which can really **** you up.

Hopefully, living on his farm, playing for his chosen Geelong, away from the destructive spotlight, in an accepting, supportive + encouraging atmosphere, living his utopian dream, he’ll be healthy + focused on footy.

MFC don't want to lose face now by perceptively taking unders (or offering overs) to trade CO which is their conundrum. The only plausible way they survive this PR disaster/crisis with any CO trade to GFC considered palatable in the minds of its players, fans and other stakeholders is to proclaim, "CO was a required player and valued player, CO wanted to depart following a meeting, at the behest of Pert, with GFC arranged by his management, we believe MFC has been adequately compensated". (Unfortunately, the reality is none of those three statements will likely be honest or true with any trade to GFC perpetuating their untrustworthiness). Absolute debacle.
Bolded is true, no way it would be stated.

Doubt anyone believes one word uttered by MFC in their shitfest.

EXACTLY! How is this a debate? We are ****ing Geelong.
We say we want someone, we go and get them.

We've never held back on stuff like this.
Be aggressive and go after him.

Dees are backed into a corner, what would really drive the knife is Clayton basically telling everyone without actually saying it that he wants to be at Geelong in 2025.
Him liking that CENCH post on Instagram saying "Clayton wants to go to the Cats" was a big step as it spread like wildfire from there...but really put the boots in to the Dees and drive it Home that he wants TF out of that basket case organisation.

Someone photoshop him in a Cats jersey and tag his instagram lol
Go for it

1728512065104.png

GFC should not burn it's very successful strategy of maintaining a salary regime that pays on a well known schedule.

It helps:

Reward younger emerging talent obtain rewards earlier than high top end spending other clubs. Keeps our young talent at Geelong. No go away factor

Maintain harmony and a team first attitude throughout the group.

With Oliver, and a pay award 300k better (or more) than OUR best, it has potential to cause dissent and does hamper our ability to reward the likes of Holmes and Dempsey and others.

Mackie has told MFC that this is the Geelong way. MFC now must align their expectations with that.

I hope Mackie holds here. Melbourne to pay a big chunk of salary. It will send a strong message for all future Trade talks.

People here are equating getting Oliver with premiership certainty. If it was certain, I would be calling for the wheel to be spun. It is far from certain EVEN IF Oliver is at peak fitness, overcomes his of field issues, and becomes a solid citizen teammate.

Hang in Mac.

EXACTLY! How is this a debate? We are ****ing Geelong.
We say we want someone, we go and get them.

We've never held back on stuff like this.
Be aggressive and go after him.
Actually yes we have. We have been very careful in previous trades not to over pay the player. It's a major reason why we didn't land Hopper, IIRC we have also been into players like Tom Lynch, Brodie Grundy etc before and were very careful not to over-commit on a single player.

A million a year is a lot to tie up into one player - and that player had better be a lay-down misere at that money. Clayton Oliver is not that player, not on form, and not on behaviour.

It would be ridiculous to have Clarrie going round behaving like a teenager on $1m/year, meanwhile the club captain - one of the most professional players in the game - is on half that.

Last edited:
GFC should not burn it's very successful strategy of maintaining a salary regime that pays on a well known schedule.

It helps:

Reward younger emerging talent obtain rewards earlier than high top end spending other clubs. Keeps our young talent at Geelong. No go away factor

With Oliver, and a pay award 300k better (or more) than OUR best, it has potential to cause dissent and does hamper our ability to reward the likes of Holmes and Dempsey and others.

Mackie has told MFC that this is the Geelong way. MFC now must align their expectations with that.

I hope Mackie holds here. Melbourne to pay a big chunk of salary. It will send a strong message for all future Trade talks.

People here are equating getting Oliver with premiership certainty. If it was certain, I would be calling for the wheel to be spun. It is far from certain EVEN IF Oliver is at peak fitness, overcomes his of field issues, and becomes a solid citizen teammate.

Hang in Mac.

If Oliver was the key to premiership success, why hasn't Melbourne been close to returning to the big dance since their success in 2021?

On paper, they've def had a stronger looking team than us over recent seasons but we know premierships aren't won on paper

Oliver may be a piece of the puzzle into pushing for the ultimate success, but thinking teams needs more than just 1 player to be the difference maker

It helps:

Hang in Mac.
We have had over a decade of superstars taking less money in pursuit of winning premierships. If they think clayton will give us the best chance of that, they will happily go along with it.

A lot of our players aren't motivated by money/aren't greedy.

In saying that geelong should be pushing for melbourne to take on at least some of his salary. Or clarry should be ready to accept less, if a contract negotiation is possible. Give him a million a year, but maybe put some clauses in the contract so he needs to earn it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Oliver was the key to premiership success, why hasn't Melbourne been close to returning to the big dance since their success in 2021?

On paper, they've def had a stronger looking team than us over recent seasons but we know premierships aren't won on paper

Oliver may be a piece of the puzzle into pushing for the ultimate success, but thinking teams needs more than just 1 player to be the difference maker
You need all the pieces of the puzzle like you said.
We need mids, pure inside mids to hopefully complete our puzzle
Melbourne need forwards. A few of them to complete their puzzle.
They have more than enough mids

Not really relevant as we already know Oliver had a stinker last year. Go back further and show the stats I think you will find that Oliver’s body of work will be compelling.
Posted in this thread, previously
IMG_0826.jpeg

Added comparisons
1728513643879.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg

The major issue I have with drafting Oliver - at any price, to be honest - is that in the full-time era in particular, one senior player who is a bad cultural fit can absolutely suck a club dry.

Anyone who has worked with a really difficult, toxic teammate at work can probably attest to how it dominates the room, and the team - and what a breath of fresh air it is if they leave, regardless of how good they were at their job.

We even had the same at my shit-tier old man soccer team a couple of years ago. The best player in the team (by quite some margin) was also a sulky, selfish prima donna - and the year that he left, we didn't replace him as an individual player on the field, but we played a hell of a lot better, and were a hell of a lot happier doing it.

Oliver absolutely spells trouble to me, and has no evidence (unlike Stengle) that he has managed to curb the worst of his behaviour before coming to Geelong.

Hang in Mac.

I think most are fairly circumspect on that claim. It's definitely possible but a full season randomisation of injuries, players taking time to develop an on field cohesion, the risk of Clarry going off the rails, the reliance on players who will be 34 by May. Don't think you can buy a premiership like that.

Oliver has ADHD + was struggling to balance the dose to an effective level.

Add recreational substances, which can really **** you up.

Hopefully, living on his farm, playing for his chosen Geelong, away from the destructive spotlight, in an accepting, supportive + encouraging atmosphere, living his utopian dream, he’ll be healthy + focused on footy.
EDIT:
I think you would be surprised how many afl players have gambling addictions and who said he is a drug addict?
He’s been busted being lose but not one mention of him being on the drugs, from reports his ADHD medication and alcohol don’t mix
While searching, MFC’s only concern was:
“Clayton Oliver has got some personal challenges and that’s the best way we can describe it. It’s a very complex situation that we’ve got going on with Clayton and clearly those challenges have been ongoing for multiple years,” Goodwin said.

“And if he can’t come along with our culture, there will be some consequences that come with that and we need to be in a position where we can drive our high-performance culture and Clayton is a big part of that.“

“Goodwin confirmed the side had pushed Oliver to be more professional, which the club also confirmed in a letter to members on Monday night.”

Interesting to see some of the posts in the last 24 hours and perhaps a few people coming around to the idea that the Oliver deal is far from over. I've kept quiet this week for fear of retribution but FishGutz is on the money.

My contacts are telling me that the deal is not off the table by any stretch. Oliver still wants to get to Geelong - and Geelong still want Oliver. Mackie was straining himself to be respectful in the interview at the start of the week but I can guarantee everyone that this has not gone away and the likelihood of something eventuating is still very real.

As I've stated recently, don't be swayed by the verbal effluent being spewed by MFC. The only voices worth listening to are Oliver and his manager. Ask yourself this - if the Oliver camp was 100% happy to remain at MFC and not considering any potential move, then why have we heard zero from them this week to close this down. I'll tell you why - they are still heavily invested in getting to Geelong and are in active and substantial discussions with both parties behind the scenes.

We're barely halfway through trade period and this was never going to be done in the first few days - as is the case with the majority of larger deals bubbling away. It was conveyed to me that Oliver to Geelong is still a very real possibility and if it happens then don't expect anything to circulate in the media until the last 48 hours at best. It's in no-ones interests (player / GFC / MFC) to have this played out in the media.

I'm still firmly in the 50/50 camp for this deal getting done. Some I've spoken to (including someone very close to a player manager not involved) have suggested it's more likely that Oliver is at another club next season than not. It remains to be seen if that club is Geelong.

Interesting to see some of the posts in the last 24 hours and perhaps a few people coming around to the idea that the Oliver deal is far from over. I've kept quiet this week for fear of retribution but FishGutz is on the money.

My contacts are telling me that the deal is not off the table by any stretch. Oliver still wants to get to Geelong - and Geelong still want Oliver. Mackie was straining himself to be respectful in the interview at the start of the week but I can guarantee everyone that this has not gone away and the likelihood of something eventuating is still very real.

As I've stated recently, don't be swayed by the verbal effluent being spewed by MFC. The only voices worth listening to are Oliver and his manager. Ask yourself this - if the Oliver camp was 100% happy to remain at MFC and not considering any potential move, then why have we heard zero from them this week to close this down. I'll tell you why - they are still heavily invested in getting to Geelong and are in active and substantial discussions with both parties behind the scenes.

We're barely halfway through trade period and this was never going to be done in the first few days - as is the case with the majority of larger deals bubbling away. It was conveyed to me that Oliver to Geelong is still a very real possibility and if it happens then don't expect anything to circulate in the media until the last 48 hours at best. It's in no-ones interests (player / GFC / MFC) to have this played out in the media.

I'm still firmly in the 50/50 camp for this deal getting done. Some I've spoken to (including someone very close to a player manager not involved) have suggested it's more likely that Oliver is at another club next season than not. It remains to be seen if that club is Geelong.
I believe both you and fishgutz that we're still interested and so is Oliver.

And the big thing which gives this a chance still is that Melbourne also seem ok for Oliver to move, at the right price. But I can't recall a trade where the two parties are so far apart on what that price is. Which is why I'm pessimistic that something will eventuate.

It helps:

Hang in Mac.
In that case would you send a F1 and F3 for Oliver + F4, with Melb paying fair chunk of salary?

I believe both you and fishgutz that we're still interested and so is Oliver.

And the big thing which gives this a chance still is that Melbourne also seem ok for Oliver to move, at the right price. But I can't recall a trade where the two parties are so far apart on what that price is. Which is why I'm pessimistic that something will eventuate.
Yes I think there's a general acceptance that what MFC are saying publicly Vs privately are poles apart. As I said, I think the most telling aspect of all this is the complete silence from Oliver and his management group. Until they put this whole thing to bed and kill of any speculation, I'm personally of the view that it's still got life.

As for Oliver turning up to the B&F ........means absolutely nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back