Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Fox Sports saying we are willing to use our future 1st for Oliver, don't think I've heard that reported yet

I said this a while ago that we are looking for a suitor for our future first rounder. Shuts down Bulldogs asking for that or our future second rounder in the Smith deal. While securing a gun obviously. It also means when free agency comes around next year we can target free agents for actual free as we won’t have assets to offer and then we can focus on using picks on the 2026 offseason for Reid. I know it sounds like a fairytale plan but that’s all on the agenda.

The sticking point isn’t the pick, Geelong are flexible with the pick for Oliver. The sticking point is what we pay for his salary as our not so secret to success has been salary cap management and this is why Melbourne has bristled so hard.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fox Sports saying we are willing to use our future 1st for Oliver, don't think I've heard that reported yet
Pete Ryan earlier in the week said we’d be willing to do that if Melbourne retained salary.

Lol, no I just don't have my head buried in the sand.

Now go and put some band aids over those knuckles will ya...
I don’t think my heads in the sand and know first hand afl players aren’t perfect.
I don’t think Geelong would attempt to recruit a as you say it “drug addict”
I have a few reasons why I think this

1. The industry talks
2.Claytons manager is Dangers manager
3.Shannon Brynes from all reports wouldn’t be the main driving force behind this, he would still have connections at Melbourne.

Yeah nah the club isn’t going to throw away a contracted kid that doesn’t want to go anywhere

I could see a situation where another club who liked him pre-draft would approach him and say, ‘they are bringing in Oliver and Smith, Cam Guthrie is fit again, where do you do you fit in?’

And that could get it rolling. I think the Demons would like a player like him, he has that Brayshaw/Viney feel about him.

Not a likely scenario, but not one I would rule out.

Last edited:
Plus if the leaks are to be true that the club and players don’t want him there it can’t be the best environment for him with his mental health

Is it really Worthing holding him to a contract in an environment that’s not going to get the best out of him and cause more harm?

And now a potential pay cut it’s looking more and more likely he’s going to land here now
Googling ’Worthing from MFC’ that’s three minutes I won’t get back 🤦🏻‍♀️ 🤭 🤪

Clark & Knevitt are Geelong Falcons products, reportedly close with fellow Falcons Conway & Clohesy. All are 20/21yo and part of the ‘exciting group of young talent’ the club has spoken about. Clark/Conway touted as future captain and all are great kids from a culture perspective.

Doesn’t save them from being delisted eventually if they’re not good enough (ie Murdoch, Whyte, Riccardi) but I think it highly unlikely we trade any of them if we see potential.
We’d rather keep that group together and offload a R1 pick in a Smith or Oliver trade, as well as a R3 if we can get a R4 back.

The fact we have these kids + COS and some others yet to really break into the team also make us less reliant on needing to use (let alone nail) 4+ picks in the upcoming drafts. Compared to Richmond etc with little minimal young talent.

Ideally we would have had Hardie or Parfitt to offer as steak knives to Melb but Hardie never played and Parf was a FA anyway so oh well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could see a situation where another club who liked him pre-draft would approach him and say, ‘they are bringing in Oliver and Smith, Cam Guthrie is fit again, where do you do you fit in?’

And that could get it rolling. I think the Demons would like a player like him, he has that Brayshaw/Viney feel about him.

Jhye and Bruhn are seen as our next gen mids, so there's no chance one of them is getting traded out for a bunch of nothing - especially when he's contracted.

Guth won't play mid anymore, IMO...his body is just too busted now. Reckon he takes that defender/distributor position, and gets more out of his body that way. Danger will play forward to replace Rohan/give others mid minutes, which leaves plenty of room for our other mids to rotate through (we usually play 7+ rotating through there).

Jhye isn't going anywhere. No-one is, unless there's a clear role/reason for them to leave.

And now it starts getting juicy. I think Oliver goes nuclear on Melbourne and force their hand here.
I’ve suggested Oliver take the nuclear option with AFL, when MFC went into damage control, last Friday. Followed by their factitious announcements that he was staying.

It appears that Oliver is playing the long game. Attends Bluey awards. Remains silent. Now he appears to be accepting a salary cut. He’s showing maturity.

Clark would want to get a move on to reach the heights some of you see for him. His latter season form in the VFL was very underwhelming. Needs to take a big step forward in 2025.

Port fan just called into trade radio saying how will Smith go at Geelong full of a club with big egos. Can he play along side egos like Jeremy Cameron….

Why do I do this to myself and listen to this. At least he was shut down by Corn

Clark would want to get a move on to reach the heights some of you see for him. His latter season form in the VFL was very underwhelming. Needs to take a big step forward in 2025.

He's literally had one proper full season since entering the AFL, lol. 2023 was wiped out Give him a full pre-season, some time in the gym, and some continuity, and I reckon he'll really take that next step. Has shown glimpses, but just needs the belief in himself/the body to execute his skills under pressure, to really showcase it all.

Reminds me of Zuthrie in a lot of ways. You can see it's there, but he's still very slight for a contested inside mid, and needs the body to back up the contest work he thrives on. He's only 20 btw.

Port fan just called into trade radio saying how will Smith go at Geelong full of a club with big egos. Can he play along side egos like Jeremy Cameron….

Why do I do this to myself and listen to this. At least he was shut down by Corn
To me Smith is no worse than what SJ was when he was here, you need a healthy ego to play at this level I haven’t found any of his social media posts to be as bad as what the nuffies are making it out to be

Last edited:
I honestly dont rate the kid, think he has been all hype and no substance as yet, hope he can get it together

Lol Cameron literally has no ego at all, he goes about his job and outside he’s a top bloke

Yeah nah this is basically his first year and your expectations of him being a Selwood is unrealistic

He will be a slow burn and he will be fine just needs size like a lot of the kids …nothing earth shattering about that with smith and Oliver and hopefully a fit Guthrie the kids won’t be having the same pressure and workload that they had this year

On the flip side a midfield of prime Guthrie-Smith-Oliver trumps any combination we could’ve rolled out this season.
I honestly dont rate the kid, think he has been all hype and no substance as yet
Could be wrong but remember Kelly-Ablett-Bartel playing VFL early doors in a much weaker side, can see him having a dozen solid games next year then breaking out in 2026.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back