Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Clark would want to get a move on to reach the heights some of you see for him. His latter season form in the VFL was very underwhelming. Needs to take a big step forward in 2025.
Smith and Oliver (if both attained) change the picture for the club. But specifically I think Clark is one highly affected.

I agree. Needs to hit the ground running in 2025.

Clark would want to get a move on to reach the heights some of you see for him. His latter season form in the VFL was very underwhelming. Needs to take a big step forward in 2025.

I would back the club in, if they keep playing him, he will get there. But he is looking more an Atkins replacement, than a top tier midfielder.

I would be curious to see our response if the question gets asked though.

Agree, VFL form was alarming. Owing to our AFL situation, we really wanted to win that final and he was shunted to the back flank and struggled.

You have a real beef with him. Do you know him personally? Don't seem to be able to let it go

I've heard enough from people who do.

Why is a stance of caution not allowed and the numerous "he'll be fixed at Geelong, change of scenery blah blah" ok, over and over like a trip down the highway will just magically erase everything.

Personally I rate Clark’s ceiling higher than Bruhn’s. Give him a bit more time and I think you’ll find Clark will find the ball more than Bruhn does.
I do wonder if Bruhns issue is fitness related because he usually starts games well and then drops off.

I do wonder if Bruhns issue is fitness related because he usually starts games well and then drops off.

Not sure whether it’s fitness or concentration. But you are correct. But he really should be finding the footy more than he does, particularly in the second halves of games as you allude to.

I don’t think there’s any concern with Clark’s endurance.

I’m pretty confident Clark will be a very good footballer. Hopefully it’s for us.

His TOG reflects that , all the kids have a fitness and size issue …injecting Smith and Oliver will help ease the need for the kids to take on everything and allow them to develop at their natural pace

Once again …and I’m so very very tired of saying this …the expectation of the kids being guns straight out of the gate is stupid Clark and Co have barely played games for the clubs the posters that are shooting them down need to reevaluate their expectations

with the exemption of Selwood , most of the clubs greats took a very very long time to click and spent a long time in the VFL …it’s a natural development phase not a cause for concern they not only need to be physically developed with AFL conditions but they need time to develop confidence and the skills needed for that level. With Danger and Guthrie out for most of the year it has placed a much higher workload than normal on the kids that weren’t ready for that yet …there’s no shame in that they couldn’t meet that level that’s required just yet.

Damian Barrett:

IF ...​

the Dees tried to shut down the Clarry talk late last week ...

THEN ...​

it hasn't gone away. He still desperately wants out. And the Cats will try something before Wednesday night's trade deadline. Whatever the outcome, this club cannot continue with Gary Pert as CEO.

Here's more from Sam McClure this evening.

View attachment 2137395
Whether the trade is completed or not, it’s great to know Oliver has Byrnes listening, supporting + encouraging him.

Oliver going to Shepparton is a terrific idea, to be with family + friends.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To me Smith is no worse than what SJ was when he was here, you need a healthy ego to play at this level I haven’t found any of his social media posts to be as bad as what the nuffies are making it out to be
I see his Instagram posts and I judge him, they make me cringe a bit .... but then why am I looking at his posts?

His cringey posts are about marketing and here I am judging but looking at it - sooo who's the real sucker I guess.

People are being incredibly harsh on Clark. In my lifetime, the only player I recall having an immediate impact within the first 3 years of being drafted is Selwood. Most kids take time. He has shown glimpses of his potential. I honestly believe his ceiling is a Zak Butters type.

lol. 2 all Australian caliber seasons and a premiership in his 3 years here with one indiscretion which didn’t even cost him a game. Yeh he’s really struggling.

I'm not disputing his playing, I'm talking about the off field stuff.

Just because it was covered up doesn't mean it's OK and won't happen again.

Re: Bailey Smith, this is now the funniest thing I've ever seen - they've gone full 'Richmond supporter, CFL, Shocking 1111'

Legit cannot stop laughing at this :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

View attachment 2137515
Think About It GIF by Big Potato Games

Personally I rate Clark’s ceiling higher than Bruhn’s. Give him a bit more time and I think you’ll find Clark will find the ball more than Bruhn does.
Possibly… in not in love with either as players but Clark has a long way to go.

In saying that if we do land Oliver/Smith and have a decent run with injuries, I won’t mind Clark having a year developing in the VFL.

But… a top 10 player running around in the VFL most of the year in their 3rd season isn’t a great sign.

He does need to add more bulk though and I still think that’s a couple of years away.

So maybe this is another development year and in 2026 he can start to hopefully break out.

Inside mids usually take 4 or so years to get humming… unless you are really high-level which I doubt Clark/Bruhn are.

I’d like to see improvement from Clark but I’m not expecting a massive year yet from him.

I'm not disputing his playing, I'm talking about the off field stuff.

Just because it was covered up doesn't mean it's OK and won't happen again.
Why are you disputing the choices of the footy club, do you think they don't take everything into account when making list decisions, do you think your mates are more qualified than the psychs and experts the club employs, take a chill pill and relax it will all be ok whether we get him or not

I've heard enough from people who do.

Why is a stance of caution not allowed and the numerous "he'll be fixed at Geelong, change of scenery blah blah" ok, over and over like a trip down the highway will just magically erase everything.
Often a change of culture can positively work on someone's mental health. I'm all for trying to support improvement to allow a person's chance of recovery.
If this occurred he would also accumulate a lot of footy and make it possible for dangerfield, Smith and Holmes to be more dangerous.
Get behind his rehabilitation
If he comes and it doesn't change Geelong will deal with it much more effectively than Melbourne have

The club still hasn't sorted out Stengle. What makes you think they can with Oliver?

There's only so much a club can do too.

Any change, improvement or control of behaviour ultimately has to come from the player themselves.

Geelong is known as having one of, if not THE, best cultures, support systems and environments to encourage and assist players become better players and human beings.

But it ultimately all counts for nought if the desire to achieve improvement doesn't spring from within the player himself.

People are being incredibly harsh on Clark. In my lifetime, the only player I recall having an immediate impact within the first 3 years of being drafted is Selwood. Most kids take time. He has shown glimpses of his potential. I honestly believe his ceiling is a Zak Butters type.
To me he’s a level below what Jack Viney turned out to be.
And that’s still a good footballer

I think a solid B/C Grader. Like Bruhn.

Main concern is he has been average at VFL level

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back