Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

There's only so much a club can do too.

Any change, improvement or control of behaviour ultimately has to come from the player themselves.

Geelong is known as having one of, if not THE, best cultures, support systems and environments to encourage and assist players become better players and human beings.

But it ultimately all counts for nought if the desire to achieve improvement doesn't spring from within the player himself.
And the bolded is why i feel Oliver will thrive at Geelong, he has already shown he is keen to move to us, he will want to show Melbourne what they have lost and will be driven to succeed and impress his new club and teammates

Last edited:
People are being incredibly harsh on Clark. In my lifetime, the only player I recall having an immediate impact within the first 3 years of being drafted is Selwood. Most kids take time. He has shown glimpses of his potential. I honestly believe his ceiling is a Zak Butters type.
I love your confidence and hope you're right but there's a bigger spectrum between Selwood and then everyone else.

I don't think anyone ever expects a new recruit to just be Selwood. My confidence is low because at VFL level, if you didn't know who he was, you wouldn't even lock him in as a top up player.

Not saying I expect him to be as good as the following players but just to counter your point re Selwood (as if we only judging Clark because he isn't Selwood); Bartel, Kelly, Corey, Johnson all played good VFL footy in there first couple of years - heck even Jimmy Allen played better.

I still hope, but on evidence of performance, I can't be overly confident about his success. I would have less confidence now compared to when we drafted him (and I wasn't particularly excited when we drafted him either).

I will walk straight into the "I was wrong" thread when need be, but I would currently argue that to expect him to come good would actually be in contrast to the evidence.

Why are you disputing the choices of the footy club, do you think they don't take everything into account when making list decisions, do you think your mates are more qualified than the psychs and experts the club employs, take a chill pill and relax it will all be ok whether we get him or not

I'm allowed to have an opinion, I don't need to agree with everything the club does.

My initial response was to somebody saying he'll be A ok by moving to Geelong, like it with magically fix him, and that nobody can say that for sure.

There's only so much a club can do too.

Any change, improvement or control of behaviour ultimately has to come from the player themselves.

Geelong is known as having one of, if not THE, best cultures, support systems and environments to encourage and assist players become better players and human beings.

But it ultimately all counts for nought if the desire to achieve improvement doesn't spring from within the player himself.

I understand that, hence my response to somebody saying Geelong will be able to "fix" Oliver.

No doubt Geelong is more professional than Melbourne, that's not really up for debate.

But it may not be that easy.

I'm allowed to have an opinion, I don't need to agree with everything the club does.

My initial response was to somebody saying he'll be A ok by moving to Geelong, like it with magically fix him, and that nobody can say that for sure.
You are allowed to have your own opinion for sure but you continue with the narrative of him being “damaged” like you are in the know, just let the club do its job and whether you like it or not they will make the decision they come too, nobody can predict how things will turn out but if you dont take risks you will never know, football is a business and if this helps business then they will run with it. Im of the opinion that if they can rework his contract to include clauses and if we can get 3-4 elite years out of him then it will be a success, i said the same about Stengle, he delivered a premiership in his first year, even though i was annoyed about the talk of him leaving last year i wouldnt have cared because he did what we needed him too and in a business sense thats all that matters.

Anyway not trying to get into a shit fight about it, it will be what it will be and personally im more excited about the Smith deal.

Last edited:
And the bolded is why i feel Oliver will thrive at Geelong, he has already shown he is keen to move to us, he will want to show Melbourne what they have lost and will be driven to succeed

Hope you're right.

Not saying you won't be...... I do have some concerns about the possibility of him poisoning the well, but am quietly confident that a) the club will do its due diligence effectively and b) Steve Hocking, Wells, Mackie and Scott have the collective wisdom and street smarts to see through any pretence and identify any issue.

I understand that, hence my response to somebody saying Geelong will be able to "fix" Oliver.

No doubt Geelong is more professional than Melbourne, that's not really up for debate.

But it may not be that easy.

Yep, issues don't go away by simply driving down the highway......

I share some of your concern, but also have confidence in the collective experience and wisdom within the club to strip this back and make the right call.

I'll be ok with it if they walk away from him, and I'll go with it if they trade him.

Ultimately, time will tell if they got it right. I think they will.

Yeah nah this is basically his first year and your expectations of him being a Selwood is unrealistic

He will be a slow burn and he will be fine just needs size like a lot of the kids …nothing earth shattering about that with smith and Oliver and hopefully a fit Guthrie the kids won’t be having the same pressure and workload that they had this year
I never said I expect him to be a Selwood.

AFL standard mids find the level very quickly, usually in their first two years. Clark, owing to injury, has 2025 up his sleeve in that window.

There’s just no world in which he plays most of 2025 in the VFL and then has a good AFL career.

Oliver wasn't damaged goods when he arrived at Melbourne

Melbourne was a little bit loose and then they decided it would be a good idea to bring in a complete basket case from the dogs and it all went BANG

He's literally had one proper full season since entering the AFL, lol. 2023 was wiped out Give him a full pre-season, some time in the gym, and some continuity, and I reckon he'll really take that next step. Has shown glimpses, but just needs the belief in himself/the body to execute his skills under pressure, to really showcase it all.

Reminds me of Zuthrie in a lot of ways. You can see it's there, but he's still very slight for a contested inside mid, and needs the body to back up the contest work he thrives on. He's only 20 btw.
You do realise nothing you have said here conflicts with what I’ve posted?

We can't force a player to go, but would not surprise if one of our players will have to be involved to get the Oliver trade over the line.
We have done it before. Prime example is Brent Moloney to get the Otten's deal done. I think Brent was rather reluctant, but was persuaded (to Melbourne for pick 12).

You are allowed to have your own opinion for sure but you continue with the narrative of him being “damaged” like you are in the know, just let the club do its job and whether you like it or not they will make the decision they come too, nobody can predict how things will turn out but if you dont take risks you will never know, football is a business and if this helps business then they will run with it. Im of the opinion that if they can rework his contract to include clauses and if we can get 3-4 elite years out of him then it will be a success, i said the same about Stengle, he delivered a premiership in his first year, even though i was annoyed about the talk of him leaving last year i wouldnt have cared because he did what we needed him too and in a business sense thats all that matters.

And whether everyone else who wants him here likes it or not the club will do what they're going to do, so we should stop all discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah nah this is basically his first year and your expectations of him being a Selwood is unrealistic

He will be a slow burn and he will be fine just needs size like a lot of the kids …nothing earth shattering about that with smith and Oliver and hopefully a fit Guthrie the kids won’t be having the same pressure and workload that they had this year
Yeah, I reckon there are some people on here who are really bad at reading what young talent will come through. They see inconsistency and a bunch of average performances from a young player and read too much into it - while also missing the flashes of special class, the moments of rare instinct, or the sense of a winning spirit underneath it all. Time will tell, of course, but I'm excited about Clark and if I had to guess based on what I've seen, I'd guess he's going to be a really excellent player that comes on next year and starts really hitting impressive stride in 2026.

We can't force a player to go, but would not surprise if one of our players will have to be involved to get the Oliver trade over the line.
We have done it before. Prime example is Brent Moloney to get the Otten's deal done. I think Brent was rather reluctant, but was persuaded (to Melbourne for pick 12).
Any guesses as to who we would use in a trade like that? I suppose it comes down to what Melbourne need as much as who we feel we could spare..

Really got to love that posters are claiming they know more about player development than the club , I would back the club to be better equiped to assess the likes of Clark’s development than them

He may not make it in the end but it’s pretty amusing seeing posters claim that he’s not up to AFL standards when he’s physically not developed at that level is comical to me with a under a year worth of AFL game to make that assessment too.

Yep, issues don't go away by simply driving down the highway......

I share some of your concern, but also have confidence in the collective experience and wisdom within the club to strip this back and make the right call.

I'll be ok with it if they walk away from him, and I'll go with it if they trade him.

Ultimately, time will tell if they got it right. I think they will.

Let's hope so.

If it goes bad, the media will be all over it.

I think Geelong as a club are pretty lucky the only news sources are all Geelong-supporting, thus we have a bit more shelter than our Melbourne-based peers.

Let's hope so.

If it goes bad, the media will be all over it.

I think Geelong as a club are pretty lucky the only news sources are all Geelong-supporting, thus we have a bit more shelter than our Melbourne-based peers.

Yep.

I would also hope, think, that his contract with the GFC would have some sort of behavioural / measurable clauses within it.

Rucks are overrated just have to be serviceable …who are teams going to give their attention to ? Smith? Oliver? Holmes? danger ? Guthrie ?

It isn’t the problem you think it’s going to be

I hope you’re right! Agreed it’s a good problem to have. Just wondered how much Gawn makes a mf look good if he’s dishing it down their throat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back