Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

View attachment 2137888

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four
stare-funny.gif

Dermie suggesting CO take a pay cut to stay at Melbourne if he’s prepared to take one to get to us - what are they smoking over there at Glenferrie..? Hate for Geelong is palpable and delicious.
He is a moron Dermott. I heard that, asking why wouldn’t Oliver be prepared to take a pay cut at Melbourne…he doesn’t want to be there on 1.3 why would he want to be there for $900K. Derm is so irrelevant these days but his hatred of Geelong is shining through and making it so pleasurable rn 😁

Last edited:
Possibly… in not in love with either as players but Clark has a long way to go.

In saying that if we do land Oliver/Smith and have a decent run with injuries, I won’t mind Clark having a year developing in the VFL.

But… a top 10 player running around in the VFL most of the year in their 3rd season isn’t a great sign.

He does need to add more bulk though and I still think that’s a couple of years away.

So maybe this is another development year and in 2026 he can start to hopefully break out.

Inside mids usually take 4 or so years to get humming… unless you are really high-level which I doubt Clark/Bruhn are.

I’d like to see improvement from Clark but I’m not expecting a massive year yet from him.
Jimmy Bartel says hi.

Really got to love that posters are claiming they know more about player development than the club , I would back the club to be better equiped to assess the likes of Clark’s development than them

He may not make it in the end but it’s pretty amusing seeing posters claim that he’s not up to AFL standards when he’s physically not developed at that level is comical to me with a under a year worth of AFL game to make that assessment too.
Am I saying I know more about player development though? And who's to say the club are confident with his development? They may actually be as concerned as some of us.

I'm not trying to be controversial in providing an opinion on Clark. I'm just saying what I observe and for me personally, it's hard to have confidence that he is going to succeed based on those observations......and I'm also not convinced that internally the club wouldn't be having some reservations too.

I wish I had the confidence other posters do but I just can't convince myself based on what's in front of me.

Bartel played 16 AFL games and had 13 Brownlow votes in his third year.
He also played 7 straight games in the VFL after being dropped early in the season.

The point is, players develop at different rates, and a top 10 pick playing significant VFL time in his 3rd season does NOT mean he’s not going to make it. And potentially make it big time.

Clark was pick 7 now we'd trade him out to keep our F1, real chance it's 18? I'd keep the kid around for a season or two before we try to pawn him off. I'm not a fan of him but at least give the guy a real go at it.
Clark and Knevitt both IMO have higher ceilings than Prismall and Moloney for those old enough to remember the last players we had that went in a trade when someone else arrived.

I’d keep them both ..

Go Catters

Possibly… in not in love with either as players but Clark has a long way to go.

But… a top 10 player running around in the VFL most of the year in their 3rd season isn’t a great sign.

It's amazing how fast they age.

Here was me thinking this was his second season after his first one was ruined by injury. And he played most of the year in the AFL (15 games and only 8 VFL games).

I hope their due diligence goes far and wide is all I'm saying.

I have doubts as to how much they're going to get from Oliver and his manager, and from the reports I've heard, nobody from the club was around when he was found as it was all after hours. There'd be cameras sure, but who from Melbourne is going to tell Geelong the absolute truth, they want him gone from their club.

Obviously Mackie and co have more insiders than any of us but who are they asking is what I wonder.
I'd be extremely careful about how much I'm listening to Oliver, his manager, and the MFC about this situation. You'd be far better forming your view on the basis of other voices than the vested interests of that trio.

Which is entirely what I expect the circumspect and measured GFC to do in this case.

He also played 7 straight games in the VFL after being dropped early in the season.

The point is, players develop at different rates, and a top 10 pick playing significant VFL time in his 3rd season does NOT mean he’s not going to make it. And potentially make it big time.
The point is that the probability that someone 'doesn't make it' is higher when they're in their 3rd season and playing VFL than it is if they're in their 1st season and playing VFL.

As funny as it is to watch Kame Cornes get annoyed, I think list managers need to listen to him on long contracts

View attachment 2137925
1 long contract every now and again would be fine if it was for a bonafide 100% star that can change things but clubs are handing out multiple and half of them are to ****ing stars.

I still wouldn't be giving anyone contracts that length... 5 years with a trigger for a 6th is probably my limit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Clayton Oliver really was the mystery mid?

He is a moron Dermott. I heard that, asking why wouldn’t Oliver be prepared to take a pay cut at Melbourne…he doesn’t want to be there on 1.3 why would he want to be there for $900K. Derm is so irrelevant these days but his hatred of Geelong is shining through and making it so pleasurable rn 😁
For Clayton to stay at Melbourne, it would probably take a pay increase. That's the logic here, not sure Dermie understands what that concept is.

I'd be extremely careful about how much I'm listening to Oliver, his manager, and the MFC about this situation. You'd be far better forming your view on the basis of other voices than the vested interests of that trio.

Which is entirely what I expect the circumspect and measured GFC to do in this case.

Yeah that's what I mean, who are they asking I wonder

As funny as it is to watch Kame Cornes get annoyed, I think list managers need to listen to him on long contracts

View attachment 2137925
Big contracts aren't all bad for clubs as a black and white rule. It gives them the option of front or back-ending contracts to fit in with their cap structure better. It also give them more bargaining power if a player wants to leave with many years remaining (e.g., Petracca this year).

The issue is mainly that Balta is not an elite talent. But if Holmes wanted a 7 year deal this year, I would have signed him straight away.

I’m confident Clark will make it. I see the same things I saw in Zuthrie’s early days that had me backing him. I understand supporters’ impatience given his draft position, but he’ll be fine.

I’m confident Clark will make it. I see the same things I saw in Zuthrie’s early days that had me backing him. I understand supporters’ impatience given his draft position, but he’ll be fine.
I'm confident that trading himmout is a bad idea, though not 100% that he'll be what we need.

It's going to be real interesting seeing how he an Bruhn fit in the same sidw

Big contracts aren't all bad for clubs as a black and white rule. It gives them the option of front or back-ending contracts to fit in with their cap structure better. It also give them more bargaining power if a player wants to leave with many years remaining (e.g., Petracca this year).

The issue is mainly that Balta is not an elite talent. But if Holmes wanted a 7 year deal this year, I would have signed him straight away.

There’s too much risk involved over the long term. What if we had signed Menzel to a 7- or 8-year contract in his first few seasons?

Time is the great adjudicator on most players… and as much one has hopes for all players drafted and traded in .. all have given amount of time before they find their time is done.

It seems both Clark and Knevitt are both early in their careers but both have used up some of their time and must soon show improvement and a higher level of performance.

I look at JhyeC and ask… how long a period has he ever been injury free so he could work on physical improvement?

Comparisons with Joel were common for JC before drafting …. but putting aside talents …. Joel played 21 and 24 games in his first two years. JC has played 1 and 15 with some VFL as well. So it seems to me as much as anything JC needs to become physically resilient and as fit as he has ever been. He needs to avoid injury and standout preseason.

As far as what he has done at the level.. I do feel thats wrapped up in the fitness but there is no doubt from what I have seen..even at VFL level he has not played “Pick Me” games the way Holmes or Dempsey or Mannagh has

Years 3 and 4 are going to elevate expectation. Jhye need to show more. Being picked at 7 in what looks to be an average draft gets him early plaudits but as time gets on that rating erodes and means less. Looking at the 22 draft it already looks just average and few players I liked have done little to this point...(Jeffereson, Gruszwinski) and other have done well. ( Weddle for eg.) It may have been more tactical to trade it into 2023. Its easy with 20/20 rear vision.

It goes to show its not just about having early picks but the year you have those picks. If the experts are correct then Rich has picked a good year to try to go heavy but.. only time will tell.

And aside from taranto, hopper and lynch, there isn't anyone on big money. They're probably massively frontloading it so they some flexibility in 2-3 years to sign their new first round draftees on good money.

I still think this is a stupid deal from a club that is going to be bottom for 4-5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back