Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Anything???
Answer Waiting GIF
1728609406959.gif

I have faith in Clark with time, but that faith is limited to Clark being a serviceable 4th string defensive mid, an Atkins level replacement.

Is that quality return for a top 10 pick? No

Is that meeting hype from the last 2 yrs? No

Does it justify taking him ahead of others in the draft? Probably no

But does every team need a blue collar defensive foot soldier to complement the starting A grade mids? Absolutely yes

Expectations should be lowered but Clark will be a perfect 4th or 5th mid that compliments and allows Holmes, Smith and hopefully Oliver to do what they do. Clark will be the glue… hopefully.

As for knevitt… I think most know my thoughts on him so not bothering.

SDKs manager was the first one out there ruling it out
SDK still has a year to run on his current contract, so he won't be going anywhere this year. But next year will be interesting. I suspect Clubs will make a play for him if he hasn't signed a new contract with us by the end of 2025. I'd like to see the Cats put this one to bed and get a contract extension with SDK by the end of this year.

Last edited:
Clark's problem is that he is midfielder or nothing, skilful or athletic players can develop on the flanks until their body is right for inside battle. He doesn't have size, speed or power, doesn't have any real tricks.

On our timeline we won't wait for him to spend 3-5 years in the hope he builds up a tank and bulks up in the gym. By the time he is there we'll have moved past him. With how player movement works clubs don't wait anymore.

We're seeing less and less guys like Clark going early or at all in the draft, you can pull them at aged 25 from the VFL for free.

Some old codger called up and said he was at the pub the other day. Clayton walked in an placed a bet at the tab… he walked up to him and showed him his Melbourne membership and asked him “are you really leaving” and Clayton just said “yes”…. Then he asked again “are you leaving Melbourne? You’re not going to Geelong are you” and Clayton said “yes.. I’m leaving. I want to go to Geelong But they can’t make a deal so I’ll be going somewhere else, whoever has a top 4 pick which is what Melbourne want”… was funny, the old fella sounded 100% serious
That has to be BS , if it isn't would we want a player who gives up this news with some random at a TAB?

SDK still has a year to run on his current contract, so he won't be going anywhere this year. But next year will be interesting. I suspect Carlton will make a play for him if he hasn't signed a new contract with us by the end of 2025. I'd like to see the Cats put this one to bed and get a contract extension with SDK by the end of this year.
I think the driver for him going to Carlton is to help the blues retain TDK. If TDK takes the Brisbane offer then not sure SDK is going to be too keen

You do realise nothing you have said here conflicts with what I’ve posted?
I think the part I took issue with, which is where we differ, is saying 'he needs to get a move on to reach some of the heights you see for him...needs to take a big step forward in 2025'

Honestly, if he shows a bit more development ala Zuthrie, I'm fine with that. He's contracted to 2026, so that's the time he's got to really show his wares. I've had my concerns at stages, but that game against Melbourne where he had 14 disposals and kicked a goal, I really saw some good signs.

I think his VFL form tapered a bit, as it's a long season, and his body still isn't AFL ready. He was played on the wing and at half forward at times, to protect his body, when his long-term position is as an inside mid.

He's also gone from playing 1 game last year, to 15 games this year. I see enough there to be happy with his development, and really excited for next year - after another pre-season, hopefully some size added, and that determination to really crack in and have that 3rd year breakout, that a lot of the best mids have. He has a step from in and out of traffic that is elite (reminds me of Lachie Neale), and is actually a really good overhead mark. He has a very decent kick, but struggles with confidence, much like Zuth did early days. Give him the size to know he can take a hit, ride the tackle (like his underage years), and he'll be able to display all of his good traits a lot more consistently.

We'll see how we go, but I'll only really start to get concerned if he doesn't look likely at the end of next year, and goes into 2026 with his development stalling and not displaying any of the form he displayed in his underage years.

No problem people talking about it, but some people do really go early...especially with those who take a while to develop.

Is Jack Martin a cat yet ?.

Anyone got a decent pressure washer to clean the carlton filth of him :moustache:.
Might need soap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you disputing the choices of the footy club, do you think they don't take everything into account when making list decisions, do you think your mates are more qualified than the psychs and experts the club employs, take a chill pill and relax it will all be ok whether we get him or not
Stengle was taken to hospital, where a drug + EtOH would have been done. If positive for drugs, he would not have played the next week. Perhaps he was smashed? A bit dumb, but not worth crucifying him.

Agree, club take everything into account.

I'm allowed to have an opinion, I don't need to agree with everything the club does.

My initial response was to somebody saying he'll be A ok by moving to Geelong, like it with magically fix him, and that nobody can say that for sure.
I'm with you on this.
Look, I dont know of his issues other than what I've heard here.

But someone early this week posted something that was very pertinent.

Yes we've shown an ability to help people, but how many resources do we have?
How many people can we help before our resources are diminished to a point that the dam wall breaks?

We only know of a couple of people that need help.
We might have ex players that need help.
Current players that are having finance issues, family issues, home sickness, depression.

We just dont know. We cant stretch our welfare department too far.

Stengle was taken to hospital, where a drug + EtOH would have been done. If positive for drugs, he would not have played the next week. Perhaps he was smashed? A bit dumb, but not worth crucifying him.

Agree, club take everything into account.
He'd just flown back from Tasmania.
If he managed to get smashed within 2 hours of being home I'd like to know which tequila it was.

Clark's problem is that he is midfielder or nothing, skilful or athletic players can develop on the flanks until their body is right for inside battle. He doesn't have size, speed or power, doesn't have any real tricks.

On our timeline we won't wait for him to spend 3-5 years in the hope he builds up a tank and bulks up in the gym. By the time he is there we'll have moved past him. With how player movement works clubs don't wait anymore.

We're seeing less and less guys like Clark going early or at all in the draft, you can pull them at aged 25 from the VFL for free.
Watch your back talking about Jhye Clark around here like that mate.

There’s too much risk involved over the long term. What if we had signed Menzel to a 7- or 8-year contract in his first few seasons?
I can totally understand people not liking long term contracts, particularly for solid average players like Balta.

The Menzel example is no doubt a cautionary tale. But there are always outliers that retrospectively prove a point. What if we had instead signed Gaz jnr. to a 10 year deal on peanuts after his first season as an underperforming half forward?

Yeah that's what I mean, who are they asking I wonder
I'm not sure. And I'm pretty unconvinced that they'll be able to find too many people who will give them a straight answer, anyway. So you then have to factor in the relative absence of purely objective viewpoints on the matter into your assessment of the worth of the deal.

And I think that's precisely what the Cats will do. Oliver looks to me like a somewhat unspecified risk with a reasonably high probability of burning out and a decent prospect of being very beneficial to our club over the journey. I believe that's the realistic basis on which Geelong will have to make its decision on Oliver and then pitch its final approach to Melbourne accordingly.

And the bolded is why i feel Oliver will thrive at Geelong, he has already shown he is keen to move to us, he will want to show Melbourne what they have lost and will be driven to succeed and impress his new club and teammates
Reports from Shepparton, where his family live, stated Oliver is running + training hard. Would be easy for him to take a few weeks off, especially after the stress from MFC

🤡 🎢 🤡 🎪 🤡 🎠 🤡 🎡 🤡 🤹 🤡

He'd just flown back from Tasmania.
If he managed to get smashed within 2 hours of being home I'd like to know which tequila it was.
He's no David Boon would of drank a slab on the way over.

My initial response was to somebody saying he'll be A ok by moving to Geelong, like it with magically fix him, and that nobody can say that for sure.
I wasn't saying he'd be "magically fixed," thank you very much. I was saying that the different environment at Geelong and the support he will receive may be just what Clayton needs to turn his life around. There are no guarantees, sure, but your utter negativity in insisting that Clayton is somehow broken beyond repair is ridiculous.

Melbourne as a whole is a basketcase of a club at the moment, they have treated Petracca like crap and not looked after him to the point he wanted to leave too so I'm not completely blaming Oliver “issues” as the reason he isn't wanted, i feel there is more too it.

Definitely seems that way.
Petracca's injury was life threatening and for the President to ignore him is shit culture to say the least.
Lots of smoke there on other issues as well.
Interestingly I had some business dealings with their former President Glen Bartlett some years ago when he was with Clayton Utz over here.
Extremely smart guy with strong principles and a natural leader. Seems he was swimming against the tide though......

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back