Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

A gold digger is my bet.
Something like this? 😜

Tired Coal Mining GIF by Playsaurus

Look At Me Yes GIF by Warner Archive

I'm not sure Macrae at 30, after 10 games this year, and looking for three years is worth the effort. Last of three years a probable bust. Let STK go there, since he wants a trade. Would rather trust in the young stock we have, and someone else Magic Mack no doubt has his microscope on.

Exactly. How many large companies would employ someone on reputation without interviewing them? Particularly if they haven't performed very well in their last year or two at their former employer, haven't worked for a year, want high money for quite a few years, have had publicised 'issues' and have said they want to work for another company?

Actually, probably our banks, supermarkets, political parties, national airline and unions.

Funny, but not Unions, take it from me. Seriously, no excuses needed. Any other Club bullying for an uninterested player at the expense of his wishes and mental health would be considered a pariah. Great way to waste a pick on a surly bench warmer.

Because one of the conditions of the draft is that you must be willing to go to whichever club drafts you.

Brett Chalmers was fined $30k for telling clubs that he wouldn't play for anyone but Collingwood. Andrew McKay and Robert Pyman were fined for the same reason.

Nowadays, draftees tend to walk up to that line in terms of "preferences", but nobody says outright that they will not play for a club.

That's what Managers are for, secret draft language and smoke signals. Helping others read the writing.

Because one of the conditions of the draft is that you must be willing to go to whichever club drafts you.

Brett Chalmers was fined $30k for telling clubs that he wouldn't play for anyone but Collingwood. Andrew McKay and Robert Pyman were fined for the same reason.

Nowadays, draftees tend to walk up to that line in terms of "preferences", but nobody says outright that they will not play for a club.
Smith won't have to say any of that to turn a club off though. If they think that he won't be a willing recruit they won't select him, and he won't have to drop many hints.

It's academic anyway. For all the huff and puff the trade will be relatively easy

Smith won't have to say any of that to turn a club off though. If they think that he won't be a willing recruit they won't select him, and he won't have to drop many hints.

It's academic anyway. For all the huff and puff the trade will be relatively easy
If StKilda had, say, pick 15 instead of pick 8, I'd be 50-50 at best. But I don't see them burning p8.

Yeah, people have learned where that line is. You're right about the smoke signals.

That said, the clubs sometimes do choose to ignore them. Ben King a case in point

Yes, and it doesn't seem to have done him any harm, 2 year contract extension. There's a thought, he's got years left in him, maybe we get in line for '26?
Anyway conjecture is okay but Smith will be a done deal soon enough. I'd be flabbergasted otherwise.

He'll just simply be 'washing his hair' if any club asks for a meeting, as such.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If StKilda had, say, pick 15 instead of pick 8, I'd be 50-50 at best. But I don't see them burning p8.
I think the only club that would consider it if they had an appropriate pick would be Collingwood.

Saints i think they wouldn't want to burn an early pick on a guy that might not want to be there, who they throw into a culture which to me seems very top down. They don't strike me as having particularly strong on field senior leadership so bailey would end up being pretty influential. Same with the Dons to a lesser extent.

Contrast to Collingwood where their senior players would have very strong voices in the room and a disgruntled bailey can't derail Flys message as much. That said I think they'd have to both land pick 13 and miss Houston to draft him and I think if they land 13 Houston happens so nothing to see there.

I think the only club that would consider it if they had an appropriate pick would be Collingwood.

Saints i think they wouldn't want to burn an early pick on a guy that might not want to be there, who they throw into a culture which to me seems very top down. They don't strike me as having particularly strong on field senior leadership so bailey would end up being pretty influential. Same with the Dons to a lesser extent.

Contrast to Collingwood where their senior players would have very strong voices in the room and a disgruntled bailey can't derail Flys message as much. That said I think they'd have to both land pick 13 and miss Houston to draft him and I think if they land 13 Houston happens so nothing to see there.

Then again, he's very good mates with the Daicos boys.
But they don't own land near proper surf to show off ya Cotton Ons. .
STK a worse case scenario than Dogs, if you need to be anxiety free.
Looks like we are the land of honey and milk! Or milk and money.

Hey guy, long time reader and first time poster. I created this account to post my thoughts. I feel like I am the only one worried about Tasmania coming in and us chasing after Baley Smith and Oliver. I’m worried we will fall like Richmond or Collingwood if we get these players. Oliver is a good player when he is healthy but has questionable skills. Bailey Smith is an over rated player with bad skills and is too busy looking at himself in the mirror. Both players have had their issues with illicit drugs and I’m just worried they would be a bad influence on the young ones who are easily persuaded like Tanner Bruhn and Coutney Dempsey.

This is supposedly the super draft with talent that bats off deep into the draft. Shouldn’t we be keeping our first pick or trying to get more draft picks before tassie come in. With Dangerfield, Stewart, Cameron, Dunc, Touie, Blicslavs, Stanley, and Guthrie all potentially retiring next year I think we need to start getting Youth in.

I would much rather spend our first pick on a young good player like Finn Ossulivan, Jager Smith or Dan Frazzle.

Also how long does Brad Scott stick around for?? Will he do a Hardwick and go off to Brisbane like the media were reporting earlier in the year? He has done a great job but it’s hard to stay motivated when you have to start a long rebuild.

Anyway I’ve had a few wines tonight and could just be losing it. Maybe someone will help straighten me out or help me not feel as nervous for our future.

Courage Greg

Hey guy, long time reader and first time poster. I created this account to post my thoughts. I feel like I am the only one worried about Tasmania coming in and us chasing after Baley Smith and Oliver. I’m worried we will fall like Richmond or Collingwood if we get these players. Oliver is a good player when he is healthy but has questionable skills. Bailey Smith is an over rated player with bad skills and is too busy looking at himself in the mirror. Both players have had their issues with illicit drugs and I’m just worried they would be a bad influence on the young ones who are easily persuaded like Tanner Bruhn and Coutney Dempsey.

This is supposedly the super draft with talent that bats off deep into the draft. Shouldn’t we be keeping our first pick or trying to get more draft picks before tassie come in. With Dangerfield, Stewart, Cameron, Dunc, Touie, Blicslavs, Stanley, and Guthrie all potentially retiring next year I think we need to start getting Youth in.

I would much rather spend our first pick on a young good player like Finn Ossulivan, Jager Smith or Dan Frazzle.

Also how long does Brad Scott stick around for?? Will he do a Hardwick and go off to Brisbane like the media were reporting earlier in the year? He has done a great job but it’s hard to stay motivated when you have to start a long rebuild.

Anyway I’ve had a few wines tonight and could just be losing it. Maybe someone will help straighten me out or help me not feel as nervous for our future.

Courage Greg
Right….start of a long rebuild

I could go on but I won’t bother

Courage Greg
1. Who is Coutney Dempsey
2. Chris Scott will stay forever
3. It's a super draft very year
4. Very unlikely we get anyone better then Oliver or even Smith and pick 17

It would be so much worse if we didn't get one of Oliver or Smith.

Courage Greg

Ignore The Big Lebowski GIF

Courage Greg

Tuohy has already retired

Dangerfield will sign a 2-year contract
Stewart is contracted until 2027
Cameron has a trigger clause to extend beyond next year

Blicavs & Guthrie will be out of contract at the end of next season, same as Duncan & Stanley if they re-sign - wouldn’t be surprised to see Blitz stay through to 2026

As for Brad Scott - meh, if he wants to go to Brisbane he can go to Brisbane, but considering that pre-premiership it was expected Fagan would extend his stay until 2026, not sure they are going to be in a rush to replace him now that he is a premiership winning coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back