Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

I’d actually much prefer to just do a deal with the dogs in good faith as we’ve usually done with clubs. But I don’t think any other clubs would take Smith in the draft. Pickering gave a good understanding of what role managers would play in these circumstances and said other clubs would not take a player they haven’t spoken to in these circumstances.

So what are the chances then of another club taking him in the pre season draft? Probably more of a risk unless he had a big price on him. But that’d mean we can also use that pick or trade it.

Psd someone would take him but he won't go there.
Nd clubs won't risk a first rounder on him hence he would go there and we get him at 17.

Honestly, I really want him because he ticks the boxes I want to tick with a backup ruckman:
  • Happy to play VFL for 20 weeks of the year
  • Will play for minimum AFL wage
  • Can match AFL players in ruck contests
  • Costs near zero in draft capital
  • Leadership in the twos
  • Most of all - durable
Yes, I know he'll get beaten for fitness around the ground, he'll never be an AFL ruck. But that's not what we need right now - what we need is someone who can come in for six weeks when Conway steps on a rake, and then the odd week here and there to manage workload.

Brayden is not fit enough and with his personal baggage won't get drafted despite the fact that he's a good ruck.

Yes .. I think the 38 for 48 pick slide ..keeps the future untouched… and lets them save a little bit of face… but if they say no to that then on their head be it...

Yeah I tend to think similar.

Question without notice.

Obviously new R1 draftee get a 3-year deal on a set wage.

I know Smith can specify wage, but can he specify a term less then 3 years if R1? (assuming yes).

Could he put say... 2 million on his head for one year? or 3 million for two years and then we do the old Jack Bowes smooth it out thing?

Is that draft tampering? I actually don't know because anyone can take him if they choose.

If that can be done... man I reckon we take him with our pick 38.

Smith has to nominate a minimum 2 year contract (can't be one year) but he can nominate a really high wage for 2 years to ward off clubs hea not keen on.

Personally I’d take him with our second pick and then use the next 2 picks on a couple of speculative talls.

Will be interesting which way we go… how did he go at the combine . We do like guys who can do better than 6.30 and push 3…

Who we take is probably just down to what picks we have and who is available and who we like as matures and delisted..

We’re getting some noise around potential player movement - though I guess things could change by morning

West Coast won't downgrade from 3 to 12 for baker that would be mad. Too big a slide.
And Carlton won't get 3 with 12 and 14.
I wonder if this is where St kilda come in.
Maybe st kilda get 3, wce 7 and baker, Carlton get 8 and later picks back to the saints and between the parties?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't wait to see the full details

That is fait dinkum impossible.
That's a rort if Carlton get 3 for 2 teens picks. Must be another r1 in that deal for wce somewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back