Gibbs vs Hodge 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

lol, more excuses. Keep em coming :D

It's not an excuse, i'm just pointing out that it's not unreasonable for players to have limited recovery going into the season. I used Hodge as an example.

So knee soreness for Hodge = injury, groin soreness for Judd = no injury, thanks for clearing that up

Concussion was one of the reasons why he didn't play so well on the weekend, and match fitness no doubt. How is that different from Judd 2008? Judd had an entire season and eventually regained match fitness but was still no good, Hodge has only played 2 games so far and you're all judging him way too early which again is fine by me, see Round 17 2008 :eek: You're basically trolling his entire season based on one concussion and lack of match fitness :D It's early in the season however and I expect Hodge to get back to his brilliant best.

Yes mate, coz coaches consistently tell the media the truth. :D

Then why bother to quote the coach? Present me with something, anything, that says Judd was injured in 2008, I'm bored over here.

Does that remind you of your posting?

ie contested possessions = worthwhile posts.

You have plenty of uncontested possessions don't you.

HodgePodge = Hodge.

Hodge had more contested possies on the weekend than Betts and Gibbs combined, despite only half the possessions of Gibbs, so maybe Hodgepodge = Gibbs? Or even worse, Betts?

Gibbs is very good at racking up cheapies :thumbsu:

Hodge had more contested possies on the weekend than Betts and Gibbs combined, despite only half the possessions of Gibbs, so maybe Hodgepodge = Gibbs? Or even worse, Betts?

Gibbs is very good at racking up cheapies :thumbsu:

That's so funny. Bryce Gibbs has had as many CP's and more clearances than ANYONE on Hawthorn's entire list. Tubby is clearly ahead when racking up the clangers though with his dreadful 60 something percent efficiency.

Hodge will have his work cut out catching Gibbs this year.

A very meaningful 19, Bowden-esque, possesions from Squibbsy tonight. This guy is the biggest front runner in the AFL... always seems to go missing when the game is in the balance.

That's so funny. Bryce Gibbs has had as many CP's and more clearances than ANYONE on Hawthorn's entire list. Tubby is clearly ahead when racking up the clangers though with his dreadful 60 something percent efficiency.

Hodge will have his work cut out catching Gibbs this year.

Efficiency doesn't equal clangers.

As for CP's, Cyril Rioli averages as much as Gibbs, with about half the disposals, and Hodge averages more.

Clearances - Mitchell will be the clearance king again this year.

Gibbs is probably the biggest front-runner going round at the moment. I noticed in the first quarter he got 5 disposals in about 3 seconds when Carlton were on top. He subsequently faded out of the game.

Hodgepodge, I wouldn't worry too much about the merciless taunting and humiliation you (and the rest of your fellow Hawthorn cry-babies) are suffering at the moment.

Because, no matter how your side perfroms on the field, your reign as 'The Reigning Flogs of Bay 13' will continue regardless. I predict a dynasty here.

hurts dont it being a bulldogs supporter. i bet you would give a kidney to be given the chance of being the reigning flogs for 12 months. pitty like your kidney the dogs are going no where!!!!! enjoy your only flag, one you never saw

Efficiency doesn't equal clangers.

As for CP's, Cyril Rioli averages as much as Gibbs, with about half the disposals, and Hodge averages more.

Clearances - Mitchell will be the clearance king again this year.

Everything was right the day I wrote it. What happened... did you sit in the shadows and wait until a flu-ridden Gibbsy played a bad game to fluff out some favourable averages.

Everything was right the day I wrote it. What happened... did you sit in the shadows and wait until a flu-ridden Gibbsy played a bad game to fluff out some favourable averages.

It's not that he played a bad game, he played a decent game in terms of stats, but he just fails to have an impact unless his team is steamrolling the opposition.

In the game today, Hodge took off down the middle of the ground out of defence and out of nowhere, Adam Simpson went the hip n shoulder coming the other way. It was a massive collision, Simpson just bounced off Hodge, who stayed down on one knee and took some deep breaths. A few moments later, Hodge took a great mark in defence, on the goal line.

And you thought Squibbsy would ever be half the player Hodge is. For shame.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bahahahahaha, what a ridiculous thread.

Hodge - Spiritual Captain and Norm Smith winner in a Premiership side. Single handedly holding together our undersized backline which was the key to us winning out 10th flag.

Gibbs - Soft.

PodgePodgePodge,

I got a question for you (in your capacity as expert in all things Hawthorn) :
Has Guerra taken over quarter-back duties form Hodge ?

Thanks for your interest in the HFC,

Guerra is one of our release players, as is Hodge. Hodge's other role is to spoil, tackle, and generally perform in a defensive capacity, to a greater extent than Guerra. Hodge is also given time in the midfield, where he scores freely, whereas Guerra only occassionally runs up the ground. Perhaps with the rise of Whitecross, Hodge will be released into the middle sooner rather than later.

HP.

Thanks for your interest in the HFC,

Guerra is one of our release players, as is Hodge. Hodge's other role is to spoil, tackle, and generally perform in a defensive capacity, to a greater extent than Guerra. Hodge is also given time in the midfield, where he scores freely, whereas Guerra only occassionally runs up the ground. Perhaps with the rise of Whitecross, Hodge will be released into the middle sooner rather than later.

HP.

Thank you for your very informative reply.
My next question is this :

Do you think Hodge is 'AFL standard' this year or is he past his prime ?

It's not that he played a bad game, he played a decent game in terms of stats, but he just fails to have an impact unless his team is steamrolling the opposition.

This makes no sense.

Either way his game was not great, but like Judd the week before, Gibbs' output was affected by a bout of flu. If you're clutching on to last nights game as a true representation of anything it's laughable.

Still... being a kid, Gibbs should still be up and down slightly for the next couple of years IMO. By then he should be producing the type of football Hawk fans always dreamed they'd see from Hodge.

As for Hodge, he played ok this week in a team that steamrolled the other side. Oh hang on...

This makes no sense.

Either way his game was not great, but like Judd the week before, Gibbs' output was affected by a bout of flu. If you're clutching on to last nights game as a true representation of anything it's laughable.

Still... being a kid, Gibbs should still be up and down slightly for the next couple of years IMO. By then he should be producing the type of football Hawk fans always dreamed they'd see from Hodge.

As for Hodge, he played ok this week in a team that steamrolled the other side. Oh hang on...

Don't worry about trolling Hodge, he's a proven performer in all sorts of conditions.

I think we need to downgrade our expectations of Gibbs, that's the issue here. You were all on BF after last week saying he was the next James Hird after cherrypicking his way to another 30 touches, (4 contested :eek: ) What happened on Saturday night was realisation that you had spoken too soon on this kid. If you want to compare him to anybody, maybe Brad Hardie, who was a Brownlow Medallist in his first season and played a bit of the unaccountable football Gibbs enjoys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbs vs Hodge 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back