Gippsland League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they were very ordinary without favoring either side - they seem to really struggle to be consistent with the holding the ball, prior opportunitty, incorrect disposal interpretations. Which is fair enough I suppose given that 99% of football followers are in the same boat!
Agree with you about neither side having anyone to trouble the tribunal - I think that's a good thing.

Was a great game of footy ,Sale got up to win by a point after trailing by 13pts with about 3 minutes to go.Hayden Burgiel is still a class above everybody else and as long as he doesn't retire Maffra will still be up near the top 1 or 2.There is nobody else in the comp who can set up play Luke Hodge like and bring the rest of his team into it like he can.Obviously a lot of good signs for Sale.Among their top three best on the day would've been two guys who were promoted from the 2's.Great to see them get up for Kane Fraser's 200th.

Didn't watch the game, did H play across half back predominently as Jaworskyj said? I saw he kicked two goals though. Still think he would be alot more damaging if he could be used gaining the ball forward of the centre, a player who kicks the ball like him getting it in space forward of the centre would be lethal.

I suppose he is kicking it to Digger Stubbes and Adrian though. So it probably balances itself out.

Regardless of who you follow, it is great to see a close game like this between these two sides. especially if your one of the many neutral followers who make the effort to watch the tussle on the sunday.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

He did kick a couple of goals but was playing loose across HB as far as i could make out.I think Sale should've probably tagged him he was playing that well .Probably not the done thing normally in GFL but when you can kick it as far and as accurately as he can from the midfield ,would've been a fair option, he was setting everything up with little or no pressure on him in particular early in the game where he got a ton of possesions.Sale were doing the same in their defensive half with Jordan Dessent alternating with Kane Fraser but it was more to clog up space rather than setup play.Digger i thought was well held on the day by Craig Flint who was CHB and he didn't really have much of an influence.
Both Flint and Brenton Martin have made the inter league squad to play Bendigo in a couple of weeks.Maffra have 5 reps in the team- H&A Burgiel ,D.Stubbe ,B.Coleman and G.Jones.
Anyway ,looking forward to the return match in Maffra ,however i think at this stage both sides are going to find Traralgon hard to beat.

Didn't watch the game, did H play across half back predominently as Jaworskyj said? I saw he kicked two goals though. Still think he would be alot more damaging if he could be used gaining the ball forward of the centre, a player who kicks the ball like him getting it in space forward of the centre would be lethal.

I suppose he is kicking it to Digger Stubbes and Adrian though. So it probably balances itself out.

Regardless of who you follow, it is great to see a close game like this between these two sides. especially if your one of the many neutral followers who make the effort to watch the tussle on the sunday.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

I think he is fine setting up from half back. A few of his kicks where from arc to arc anyway Nug. The thing that is so dangerous about him getting the ball defensively is if he hits a running/open player with his mid range kick it is usually a certainty for the run of play to end up with digger or burgs having a shot.

The umpires were interesting in the way they didn't pay free kicks for either side..they just let it go. I guess in a game like Sale v Maffra you hate to see the umpires dictate a match.

Interesting to see how Sale continue from here given it is a confidence boosting win and also how Maffra will bounce back against the bottom of the ladder Guls. I can imagine no mercy will be shown.

I think he is fine setting up from half back. A few of his kicks where from arc to arc anyway Nug. The thing that is so dangerous about him getting the ball defensively is if he hits a running/open player with his mid range kick it is usually a certainty for the run of play to end up with digger or burgs having a shot.

The umpires were interesting in the way they didn't pay free kicks for either side..they just let it go. I guess in a game like Sale v Maffra you hate to see the umpires dictate a match.

Interesting to see how Sale continue from here given it is a confidence boosting win and also how Maffra will bounce back against the bottom of the ladder Guls. I can imagine no mercy will be shown.

Yeah I think he is fine/great setting up from half back, but what I mean is if he could be used in the midfield or push higher up the ground off a half back he would be capable of kicking 40 goals a year and being a dangerous midfielder. It has obviously worked for Maffra and I am not disagreeing with it at all, obviously if they had another Burgiel type kicker to cover that sweeping role then this would probably come to reality.

Unfortunately the inevitable factor that affects all players (age) is now beginning to with H. By no means is he old or passed it or anything like that but as you would know with the great man (roo) that the niggles get a bit more frequent and last a bit longer. Sure he still runs through the midfield and does it brilliantly but like all footballers find it becomes harder and harder to do for extended periods. Now H has found his "niche" as a set up player across half back. As we saw on the weekend when he does get the chance to venture forward he is so deadly. both of his goals being around the 50m arc. And on a pure hff perspective I don't think it suits his style of play and given the way Maffra structurally sets up the forward line wouldn't be his most effective area.
I'm sure everyone, not just maffra supporters would love to see H still at that level where he won a league B&F and several premierships by running through the middle for long times.

Yeah true. That players that have played for a long period eventually can't do things that they use to.

I would never play H up forward I don't think it would come natural to him.

He is obviuosly still dominating so good luck to him.

Wow, looks like Warragul felt the wrath of Maffra's disappointment at losing to Sale and Drouin benefitted from Sale's comedown game after beating Maffra. The other result that is on the net is a massive upset. After T'gon beat Sale and then Sale beat Maffra, you would have thought that T'gon, along with Maffra and Sale were definitely confirmed as a premiership contender, and they have had a massive slip up against Leongatha, at T'gon no less. Interesting round. A near 200 point thrashing and 2 upsets. This league is always interesting.

I was surprised by how many shots Leongatha had. 37 shots is alot, maybe they should have won by alot more.
Nothing much to say about the Maffra game, they crunched the guls. Digga had 35 touches, 20 marks and 8 goals 2 which is a nice game I guess! Eagles were just way too quick for Warragul which shows in the goal kickers with small forwards kicking 19 goals.
Anything on the Sale game? Drouin are definitely a top side this year.

Wow, looks like Warragul felt the wrath of Maffra's disappointment at losing to Sale and Drouin benefitted from Sale's comedown game after beating Maffra. The other result that is on the net is a massive upset. After T'gon beat Sale and then Sale beat Maffra, you would have thought that T'gon, along with Maffra and Sale were definitely confirmed as a premiership contender, and they have had a massive slip up against Leongatha, at T'gon no less. Interesting round. A near 200 point thrashing and 2 upsets. This league is always interesting.

Only 1 upset mate, your overrating sale and massively underrating Drouin

Only 1 upset mate, your overrating sale and massively underrating Drouin

Mate, Maffra have lost 3 games in the last 48 seasons, Sale beat them last week. I am not over rating Sale, I am stating the obvious that most people would think, in that if you can beat Maffra, you can beat Drouin. At no stage did I say Drouin are no good, and how you can say that I "massively under rate" them I will never know, as I have not made any comment on Drouin.

Sale stuffed up at the selection table ,there is no way Cross and Garrett should be in the 2's.Having said that ,Drouin aren't a bad side, they got to within a couple of points of Maffra earlier in the season and if ever the conditions suited one side more than the other ,it was yesterday.
The home ground advantage ,the Drouin ground was a quagmire which was never going to suit Sale as much as the hosts and it was Bob McCallum's 100th which by the look of things meant a lot to the players and supporters alike, if ever the underdogs were going to win ,it was yesterday at Drouin ,not only that, Sale kicked inaccurately compared to the Drouin boys.Still think the maggies are a good side ,i just hope we don't leave proven top senior footballers in the 2's for too long.

Sale stuffed up at the selection table ,there is no way Cross and Garrett should be in the 2's.Having said that ,Drouin aren't a bad side, they got to within a couple of points of Maffra earlier in the season and if ever the conditions suited one side more than the other ,it was yesterday.
The home ground advantage ,the Drouin ground was a quagmire which was never going to suit Sale as much as the hosts and it was Bob McCallum's 100th which by the look of things meant a lot to the players and supporters alike, if ever the underdogs were going to win ,it was yesterday at Drouin ,not only that, Sale kicked inaccurately compared to the Drouin boys.Still think the maggies are a good side ,i just hope we don't leave proven top senior footballers in the 2's for too long.

Not sure Cross & Garrett are proven senior players!!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure Cross & Garrett are proven senior players!!!!!!!!!!!
Garrett was close to BOG in the 2008 GF win i thought and i can honestly say ,i've never seen Cross play a bad game since he has come into it.Young Wheeler is going to be a great player ,but he is still eligible for the thirds and his body is still very immature and small .No offense to the young guy but there is no way that he should be in the seniors before the two i mentioned if they are fit and playing as good as they were in the 2's on Saturday.The coach is kidding himself if he thinks Sale have the depth to be able to afford to keep players like this in the seconds.

Garrett was close to BOG in the 2008 GF win i thought and i can honestly say ,i've never seen Cross play a bad game since he has come into it.Young Wheeler is going to be a great player ,but he is still eligible for the thirds and his body is still very immature and small .No offense to the young guy but there is no way that he should be in the seniors before the two i mentioned if they are fit and playing as good as they were in the 2's on Saturday.The coach is kidding himself if he thinks Sale have the depth to be able to afford to keep players like this in the seconds.

sorry pal, don't agree.
Who should they drop for those two players to come in ?????????????
anyone get get a kick in the 2nds, even Luke Henderson

Good Win to Leongatha on weekend. Hayden Browne Ripped it up easily the best player for the parrots. Hes a superstar

Hayden Browne? Isn't he that read headed bloke with the dodgy knee? Find that suprising....Any truth to the rumour that Banga Holt kicked 3.23?

Dont worry mate you wont get a response on here, they're too bust tipping the parrots to come last and talking about the only two teams in the league....Maffra and Sale.....

Hayden Browne? Isn't he that read headed bloke with the dodgy knee? Find that suprising....Any truth to the rumour that Banga Holt kicked 3.23?

Dont worry mate you wont get a response on here, they're too bust tipping the parrots to come last and talking about the only two teams in the league....Maffra and Sale.....
If you want to talk about Leongatha ,feel free ,the only reason Sale and Maffra are spoken about a lot is because the majority of posters on this forum are either Maffra or Sale supporters and don't know much about the other teams in the comp.If Warragul were doing better ,there seems to be a lot of guys on here from down that way too so i'd imagine they would get a fair run as well.
That was a great win by the Parrots at the weekend and if they keep coming up with that sort of form that enables them to beat sides like Traralgon you can bet that they will be discussed at length too.The more teams in the top half of the ladder capable of challenging the likes of Maffra and Traralgon the better i say.

The tiny little fella running around for one.. think he is number 35... coach was hopeless not just those with two decisions. I think he was to blame somewhat for the weekend... yeah there were plenty of crap skills but it wasn't the best coached game in history. It was extremely frustrating and I heard other people mentioning it too. They had love and lar on the bench at the same time with their 'rotations' when they were down by like 5 goals.. They had their leading goal kicking benched for an entire quarter.. (yeah he had a average first half but the other forward was much worse).. They regularly rotate corey scholtes to the point that he cant even get into the game or in the game mind set. It's crap... In my opinion anyway. Their forward structure is dumb too. They did awesome against leon and wgul, those were the 2 games they had staz and martin playing outta the goal square.. the 2 games they score over 100... other than those two games they have fallen over the line with maff and lost to tralgs and on the w/e again... with different forward set ups.. Even saw Kane Fraser rearing his head in the frwd line last week... he did okay aswell but still... beats me what goes through the coaches mind sometimes.

Didn't seem to work too bad against Maffra the so called 'rotations'. Coming from behind in the last quarter is indicative of either or all of a pretty fit team, a well used bench, luck and slipping of the guard by a high quality side that is used to that 'finals' sort of pressure.

What do you suggest to fix this 'dumb' coaching??

Tips for the weekend? Get this thread going again.

Sale to beat Moe comfortably.
Morwell likewise over Wonthaggi.
Maffra should beat Leongatha comfortably in theory but could be a danger game after their performance against Traralgon, especially on their home turf.
Drouin should beat Warragul by 15 goals.

Will be interesting to see how Leongatha perform. I haven't heard anything otherwise to suggest it wasn't a one off?? Maybe they've found their winning formula.
The other games are pretty straight forward, all the teams in the top 5 likely to win.

Tips for the weekend? Get this thread going again.

Sale to beat Moe comfortably.
Morwell likewise over Wonthaggi.
Maffra should beat Leongatha comfortably in theory but could be a danger game after their performance against Traralgon, especially on their home turf.
Drouin should beat Warragul by 15 goals.

Will be interesting to see how Leongatha perform. I haven't heard anything otherwise to suggest it wasn't a one off?? Maybe they've found their winning formula.
The other games are pretty straight forward, all the teams in the top 5 likely to win.

i heard Adrian Burgiel kicked 1 goal 6 on the weekend & Daniel Stubbe kicked 1 goal 5, does anyone know if it was windy or wet in bendigo??seems very strange for Stubbe to be so inaccurate, Bobby mccallum & ryan davey were Gippsland's best, not surprising!!!! in the best for there teams every week, very good players

Dont worry mate you wont get a response on here, they're too bust tipping the parrots to come last and talking about the only two teams in the league....Maffra and Sale.....[/quote/]

Hayden Browne is a gun. It was a big loss for Tarwin when he left for the spoils of the Gippsland League 2 years ago...He won a seniors best & fairest at the age of 18 unless anyone can correct me?

I know Burgs kicked 1.5 and Digga kicked 1, not sure of his points though. Kicking 12.20 I imagine a few kicked a couple each. Dunno bout the weather Robbie but Bendigo is usually true football weather. Bob is a gun and blokes like Davey would thrive roving off him.

Despite the half time lead I think the side played pretty average until the last qtr.. I dont think the rotations had much to do with the victory! Fresh legs and a well used bench can't really account for 3 mins of play it was a lack of 'dumb' forward line structure that they got right in the dying minutes ! ... Unless of course it was '3' minutes that the right people were on the ground with all these rotations rules?... Anyone its just my opinion as i said. I personally cannot stand the new coach.

Not sure if you mean - good forward line structure or lack of dumb forwardline structure?

At the end of the day the side was well coached and won a game no one thought they would. The next week the same structures did not work. I think the club is in a lot better position than where they were last year so you must admit that something is working well at Sale. Seniors are 3 and 2 and the Reserves are the same. The end of the season will tell if the club should be happy or not.

I can let slip that the Maggies are about to announce one of the biggest signings to come to the league in a long time. A midfielder who will be the best in the league. This doesn't happen with a bad coach in place, regardless of your opinions of him.

I heard that Wonthaggi are chasing him and that it is not a done deal. Far from it.

The old desal plant might have a bit of pulling power yet!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back