News Glen Bartlett launches legal action against MFC's Kate Roffey and other club officials; "Appeasement" over Goodwin's behaviour; Tissue required...

Remove this Banner Ad

So footballers operate machinery, etc and could possibly kill an opponent?

When you have that sort of divide, you potentially harness cultural unrest

An organisation has a duty of care to all employees. Imagine a coach high on a substance, thrashing his players on the track, leading to injury
So the other 17 AFL clubs and the AFL are all drug testing non-playing staff are they?

Poor old Gumby Glen found out about some bags and booze and got shocked out of his nerd paradise. Being the nark that he is, he calls the cops (AFL). Cops say sure, sure, that’s terrible, we’re looking into it. Meanwhile chief-superintendent Gill calls Gary Pert and tells him get rid of this Gumby, he’s killing everyone’s buzz. So Gumby Glenn is got rid of, but now he’s bitter and confused, “Why did they do this to me? I’m a fun guy…” No you’re not Glen. You’re a Gumby. Now GAGF. Again.

Isn't Goodwin the notoriously loose unit? Although I don't think the things he's generally accused of doing are really anyone's business but his own unless they have negatively impaired his judgement in a provable way.
Or (hypothetically) if it negatively impaired the club's sponsor relations...

If their were concerns at my club, players or staff, I would embrace the testing for every employee
Your club wouldn't have any players if they were doing recreational drug tests.
No club would.

After being involved in Melbourne nightlife for my whole career, it’s obvious to me that shining a light on recreational drug use is only a lose lose situation for the AFL. It’s a melting pot of hypocrisy, archaic drug laws, privacy concerns and misaligned public perception vs reality of drug use.

In my experience, there’s not many AFL journalists or even club administrators who could comment on this with a straight face.

I left the industry a little while ago, but still have quite a few friends who own/run venues. This is the best summation of the matter I have seen.

I find the hypocrisy of the whole thing hilarious, to be honest. My favourite was a well known comedian (in a footy media context) getting stuck into my venue on telly one night...he dropped in the next week and was asking the guards for pills before he got through the door.

Not talking about players only, talking about every, single employee
In a high-performance environment I'd hope coaches are taking it easy on the "baggies", but the point stands: an AFL club with a policy of drug-testing players for recreational substances is going to have a very hard time recruiting and retaining players.

Just so I understand this, this bloke was president of an AFL club and he is suing everyone for being mean to him?

Eddie McGuire should go fire up his lawyers then, he could sue half the country.
...You definitely do not understand this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks - I read the couple of the articles but I still don't get what he is suing people about.
I think it's pretty clear? Quote from the article:

At quarter-time Pert spoke to Vicki and me. I told Pert to make sure you collect us after the game. No one did. We got to the lift, you’ve got Gill, Kate Roffey, Pert, and instead of saying ‘Let Glen and Vicki in’, the doors closed and they went down to ground level.

:$

You are too invested, given it's your own club.

If their were concerns at my club, players or staff, I would embrace the testing for every employee
Nah, it's just another case of an ex-board member/President with an axe to grind trying to destabilise a current board. Seen it far too often in my time at my club and many others. It's not about Glenn, it's about the MFC but he clearly doesn't see that.

He wanted to sack Goodwin, the rest of the board backed Goodwin, Bartlett was in an untenable position so had to fall on his sword, Goodwin then went on to win the flag and now Bartlett wants to seek retribution for being jilted and make it all about himself. What exactly is his case? President's get ousted all the time, it's not a job for life and in fact he resigned the position if I recall so not sure what leg he has to stand on. Even if it was a "resignation" fact is he had lost the support of the Board and after 7-8 years it was time for him to go. Now he is just trying to air dirty laundry in public as some kind of retribution and drip-feeding one side of the story to the local gossip rag while seeking to maintain his "privacy".

It's a joke and anyone trying to get legs out of this story 2 years later when the horse has truly bolted and Goodwin has proven his credentials is ridiculously out of touch.

You can’t help but think there is an element of sour grapes and a desire to cause destabilisation of the club from both Glenn and the HS. Just look at the timing of stories last year and here we go again this year. Rather watch and read about footy.
Exactly. Just win, baby (/Al Davis) and no one will GAF.
Not talking about players only, talking about every, single employee
Good luck with that.

Nah, it's just another case of an ex-board member/President with an axe to grind trying to destabilise a current board. Seen it far too often in my time at my club and many others. It's not about Glenn, it's about the MFC but he clearly doesn't see that.

He wanted to sack Goodwin, the rest of the board backed Goodwin, Bartlett was in an untenable position so had to fall on his sword, Goodwin then went on to win the flag and now Bartlett wants to seek retribution for being jilted and make it all about himself. What exactly is his case? President's get ousted all the time, it's not a job for life and in fact he resigned the position if I recall so not sure what leg he has to stand on. Even if it was a "resignation" fact is he had lost the support of the Board and after 7-8 years it was time for him to go. Now he is just trying to air dirty laundry in public as some kind of retribution and drip-feeding one side of the story to the local gossip rag while seeking to maintain his "privacy".

It's a joke and anyone trying to get legs out of this story 2 years later when the horse has truly bolted and Goodwin has proven his credentials is ridiculously out of touch.
Goodwin has "proven his credentials"? I don't think the reason Bartlett wanted him sacked (if indeed he did), was for being a bad coach...

You are too invested, given it's your own club.

I would love, love, love Carlton to drug test every employee. They definitely should do that. You’ve indicated you’re a man some stature; get it done arrow.

Goodwin has "proven his credentials"? I don't think the reason Bartlett wanted him sacked (if indeed he did), was for being a bad coach...

It doesn't matter the reason, the fact is he was wrong. His credentials are proven not just on the scoreboard but in the relationships he has built with players, staff and others around the club. The high esteem he is held in. The fact that he is a genuine person who actually cares about his players and wants the best for them which is why we have also had a decent track record of recruiting players to the club. Is he perfect, no. But this crusade Bartlett is on for, what exactly? is extremely petty and makes himself come across like a bitter, scorned ex-board member.

What does he actually want to gain out of this? Unfair dismissal? As an elected club volunteer? What is his goal? Other than vengeance and a wish to destabilise the current board/club?

All valid points, and I really can't disagree.

My initial reply, was more about a certain aspect, the one of drug taking (if true), by a person leading the footy program, and the head of the club, wanting a process to stamp it out

If it was purely to have Goodwin sacked, then it's poor mechanism

It doesn't matter the reason, the fact is he was wrong. His credentials are proven not just on the scoreboard but in the relationships he has built with players, staff and others around the club. The high esteem he is held in. The fact that he is a genuine person who actually cares about his players and wants the best for them which is why we have also had a decent track record of recruiting players to the club. Is he perfect, no. But this crusade Bartlett is on for, what exactly? is extremely petty and makes himself come across like a bitter, scorned ex-board member.

What does he actually want to gain out of this? Unfair dismissal? As an elected club volunteer? What is his goal? Other than vengeance and a wish to destabilise the current board/club?
When Simon Goodwin had a medical episode at a Melbourne club function in December 2020, Glen Bartlett handed him a tissue and a distressed look.

“I’m an OH&S lawyer and I care deeply about people,’’ Bartlett says. “I was seriously concerned about his wellbeing. And I actually went down to the car park afterwards (with him), I think for about 20 minutes. I was really concerned for him.’’

After a meeting with AFL Commission chairman Richard Goyder, chief executive Gillon McLachlan and Demons board member Mohan Jesudason in February 2021 about Goodwin, it was agreed action was needed.

“I did what was required after that meeting,’’ Bartlett says.

“I spoke to him (Goodwin) about some pretty significant issues. Gary Pert (Demons CEO) was there.”

But despite believing he had the support of the AFL and club, Bartlett says a push for hair testing of all senior club officials and other initiatives to improve standards resulted in a brutal and swift campaign to oust him from the club.

“Players get hair tested, but for other senior people in a club there’s no policy in place. That’s what I was pushing hard to introduce,’’ he says.
This is an excerpt from today's article in the Herald Sun. Bartlett had serious concerns about Goodwin's wellbeing as a result of a medical episode Goodwin suffered at a club function. As a result of this, Bartlett was pushing to have all senior club officials, including Goodwin, hair tested for illicit drugs.

This is an excerpt from today's article in the Herald Sun. Bartlett had serious concerns about Goodwin's wellbeing as a result of a medical episode Goodwin suffered at a club function. As a result of this, Bartlett was pushing to have all senior club officials, including Goodwin, hair tested for illicit drugs.
And what his is angle today, as of right now? What is his motivation for taking legal action/feeding information to the media?

I don't know what he expects the outcome of all this to be, but it won't be Goodwin getting sacked.

And what his is angle today, as of right now? What is his motivation for taking legal action/feeding information to the media?

I don't know what he expects the outcome of all this to be, but it won't be Goodwin getting sacked.
Well from reading the articles, it seems that he feels he was doing the right thing by Goodwin and the club, when he got booted, and he is now alleging club officials leaked defamatory information to some Fairfax journalists who then published it (hence his lawsuit).

If this is true and he has been defamed, then he is entitled to damages.

Get on!
Goody will be round Big Maxys gaff tonight to make sure Gawny takes a bounce in the first quarter this weekend!
12/1
It's a sure thing!

Hope Max hasn't replaced the last cat yet.........

Remove this Banner Ad

News Glen Bartlett launches legal action against MFC's Kate Roffey and other club officials; "Appeasement" over Goodwin's behaviour; Tissue required...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back