Goalkicking crumber. We need one. Who do you think we should target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 11, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Hawthorn
IMO the one spot we need to complete the 1st 22 (not including depth issues outside the 22)
is a highly skilled lightning quick goalkicking crumber.

Ala, the Daveys, Didaks, Farmers of this world.

Who can we target in the draft this year or at the trade table?
Do we need one at all?
Is one player on our list capable of filling this position?
Are they over-rated? On the goalkicking table the highest out and out goalkicking crumber is
Ash McGrath coming 22nd with 20 goals.

I just can't help but think an Alwyn Davey type would complete our team.

Re: Goalkicking crumber

Osborne has be trying to fill this role, but is simply not a crumbing forward IMO. I was watching him practice before the game on Friday night. He was tapping the ball out front - picking it up and snapping for goal. His snapping action gets little substantial purchase on the ball, meaning it continually falls short or simply floats off to the side. Hodge is a better crumbing option for us up there really, but can also take the strong grabs.

Osborne is more suited to a tagging role where he can take the quick forwards (such as the Daveys), however this leaves us with his discipline problems giving away vital goals...

About a month ago i'd have probably agreed.

However, the return of Jacobs has allowed Hodge to play midfield/forward and as a resting forward, there is no better. He's tough, provides defensive pressure, can take a grab and can rove a pack.

Franklin's a fair crumber too. He does it all.

Hodge Changa Brown Willo when they are 'resting'

Oh and Franklin Boyle Roughead are faily handy off the ground too.

Lets just share it around like the other things we do.

Too easy to put a small defender on a crumber and you are blocking defensive space too

IMO the one spot we need to complete the 1st 22 (not including depth issues outside the 22)

Who can we target in the draft this year or at the trade table?
Do we need one at all?
Is one player on our list capable of filling this position?
Are they over-rated? On the goalkicking table the highest out and out goalkicking crumber is
Ash McGrath coming 22nd with 20 goals.

I just can't help but think an Alwyn Davey type would complete our team.

We just need a fast aboriginal crumber:), a mobile key position backmen and a pacy outside midfielder to complete our list. All can be obtained within the draft. Get rid of thurgood, little and someone else!

I dont think we really need one.

Who are going to take out of forward line now, especially with the way we set up the 'Budy' box.

We have to two forward flankers you are essentially midfielders, usually Crawf and Mcglynn. Then the four forwards will likely be Franklin, Boyle, Williams and Roughead.

So i think that when willo comes back, he will take this role on a bit more then in the past.

Sampi is shit! He has had one mark thats made his career! Rather Chick in our forward line then Sampi! He is over weight and proven to be not dedicated to his football.

Rather take the risk in a draft then bring another cancer to the club, we learnt from Spida lets not waste our precious salary cap on a hack like him.

Farmer is a squib of the highest order as are many of the same type ie Moorcroft, Allison, Milne etc. These sorts of players look flashy but tend to struggle badly for consistency. We had one and he led our goal kicking one year and then got the flick (Lord). That says it all.

The Hawk teams of the 80s didnt need one. Neither does our team now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Farmer is a squib of the highest order as are many of the same type ie Moorcroft, Allison, Milne etc. These sorts of players look flashy but tend to struggle badly for consistency. We had one and he led our goal kicking one year and then got the flick (Lord). That says it all.

Forgot all about Aaron Lord. That guy had such a funny kicking action from a set shot. :D

Did anyone else take great pleasure in watching our midfielders go to the forward line for a rest on friday night against carlton. Threw the blues way off wack. We had mitchell at FF at one stage. There was a new strategy implemented and it reaped the rewards. Therefor IMO the position is FULL.

What we really want is a Paul Chapman type player who can find a goal or two every game, adds forward line pressure and can pinch hit through the midfield. That's the type of player that'll have a long life span as a small forward.

These new small quick defensive forwards are all the rage and they add alot to a teams allround game, I'm not sure on the life span they can have at AFL level though if they rely on their speed and chasing prowess to get a game.

Did anyone else take great pleasure in watching our midfielders go to the forward line for a rest on friday night against carlton. Threw the blues way off wack. We had mitchell at FF at one stage. There was a new strategy implemented and it reaped the rewards. Therefor IMO the position is FULL.

I don't think that is a tactic that we will or should employ against a team other than an already smashed Carlton.

Agreed. Blokes like Hodge, Lewis, Crawf, McGlynn, Mitchell, etc should all be able to rest there. It also gives you an extra midfielder in your 22.

If Adam Maric from Calder Cannons is still there when we have our first pick then I say grab him he is a very classy finisher and crumber who is worth a 1st rounder.

When williams comes back he will take that role

Williams is a key position player trapped in a small player's body. His assets are to lead out, take marks and convert set shots. I don't have any stats off the top of my head, but I would consider that most of his goals have come from that avenue rather than crumbing goals. Williams would struggle for a considerable period of time, in my view, if he was forced into a crumbing role.

williams will be doing it since we have plenty in developement when it comes to leading out. He wont have a choice but have to cause our big guns will keep filling his spots.

Also hodge can do it fine ... when we move him forward

I Dont think one is needed. When williams is back i think he would be good in the position. If a trade was done i would probably like to see the hawks pick up either

Steve Milne (as much as he is hated he can be good)
Eddie Betts (CAR)
Ash Mcgrath (BRI)
Brett Ebert (PAD)
Brad Fisher (CAR)

Remove this Banner Ad

Goalkicking crumber. We need one. Who do you think we should target?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back