Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm I don’t know about that. All the fans of AFL in Western Sydney didn’t automatically drop their team for the Giants, I don’t think it’s 100 percent it’ll happen for tassie or Canberra as well, but over time you grow that support. If you are 100% in on home.

I think a long as possible lead in time would help, too.

No kids in Hobart are investing in North when they know they've got their own team coming in a few years.

Hmmm I don’t know about that. All the fans of AFL in Western Sydney didn’t automatically drop their team for the Giants, I don’t think it’s 100 percent it’ll happen for tassie or Canberra as well, but over time you grow that support. If you are 100% in on home.
I didn't say 100% of AFL fans would drop their clubs for the new Canberra side.

The primary school aged kids that MelbourneGWS is hanging his hat on though, the sort that are GWS "fans" because some players came to their class, chucked a footy with them, and signed a poster for them that one time, those kids will have forgotten about the giants ten minutes after they've left.

I feel it's necessary to reiterate just how rare genuine Giants fan are in Canberra again. Doesn't matter what age group or demographic, I couldn't name a single person who claims to be a Giants fan. Again I have no doubt that they exist, and there're plenty who would claim the giants as their 'second team' (which will also die the minute they leave), but people who could legitimately be called GWS supporters are highly unusual.

I didn't say 100% of AFL fans would drop their clubs for the new Canberra side.

The primary school aged kids that MelbourneGWS is hanging his hat on though, the sort that are GWS "fans" because some players came to their class, chucked a footy with them, and signed a poster for them that one time, those kids will have forgotten about the giants ten minutes after they've left.

I feel it's necessary to reiterate just how rare genuine Giants fan are in Canberra again. Doesn't matter what age group or demographic, I couldn't name a single person who claims to be a Giants fan. Again I have no doubt that they exist, and there're plenty who would claim the giants as their 'second team' (which will also die the minute they leave), but people who could legitimately be called GWS supporters are highly unusual.
You are entitled to your views, and no offence meant, but you should expand your circle!. Most people I know, as well as my kids and their friends are primarily Giants fans. Those who had other teams, have during the 13 years the Giants have been Canberra’s AFL team, gradually changed from the Giants being their second team to the Giants being their primary team - and this will continue with at least another 8 years left. The Recruits and free tickets the Giants have given parents, have also led parents with no previous AFL exposure, to have Giants as their primary team.

I don't think an ACT side is a given, but sure, and in that case I guarantee that almost every single one of those kids who is nominally a Giants fan will have swapped teams to the Canberra side within a few years once it's the Canberra side showing up to schools and doing the marketing and engagement for the AFL in the city.

Again, that's what happens every time we get a new local team.

Uh huh. Yep, I’m sure after 20 years of attending multiple GWS games every season those “kids” will drop right off.

Uh huh. Yep, I’m sure after 20 years of attending multiple GWS games every season those “kids” will drop right off.
Significantly less than 1% of the kids in the city, AFL fans or otherwise, would be attending any GWS games, let alone multiple a year. The percentage of people in Canberra that are foundation members of the Giants is a similarly miniscule group.

In other words neither of those groups is representative of anything at all.

Last edited:
You are entitled to your views, and no offence meant, but you should expand your circle!. Most people I know, as well as my kids and their friends are primarily Giants fans. Those who had other teams, have during the 13 years the Giants have been Canberra’s AFL team, gradually changed from the Giants being their second team to the Giants being their primary team - and this will continue with at least another 8 years left. The Recruits and free tickets the Giants have given parents, have also led parents with no previous AFL exposure, to have Giants as their primary team.
The fact that most of the people you know are Giants fans is proof positive that you're the one that needs to expand their 'circle', not me.

You're clearly living in a tightknit, parochial, echo chamber that's totally deluded you into believing both that the Giants are significantly more popular than they actually are in Canberra and that most people living in the ACT are satisfied with the current arrangement with the Giants which simply isn't the case.

I can almost guarantee that the sample of your friend group is disproportionally represented by expats from the other states as well, which, for reasons that should be obvious, is skewing your outlook even further.

Frankly your views are complete and utter nonsense, and whether you will accept it or not, you actively try to present yourself as representative of the average Canberran to tell people what they want hear instead of what the reality of the situation is here in Canberra. You've also got a bad case of cognitive dissonance because you're completely capable of understanding why the Hawks and Roos can never truly represent Tasmania, but refuse to accept that the same is true of GWS truly representing Canberra for much the same reasons.

The fact that most of the people you know are Giants fans is proof positive that you're the one that needs to expand their 'circle', not me.

You're clearly living in a tightknit, parochial, echo chamber that's totally deluded you into believing both that the Giants are significantly more popular than they actually are in Canberra and that most people living in the ACT are satisfied with the current arrangement with the Giants which simply isn't the case.

I can almost guarantee that the sample of your friend group is disproportionally represented by expats from the other states as well, which, for reasons that should be obvious, is skewing your outlook even further.

Frankly your views are complete and utter nonsense, and whether you will accept it or not, you actively try to present yourself as representative of the average Canberran to tell people what they want hear instead of what the reality of the situation is here in Canberra. You've also got a bad case of cognitive dissonance because you're completely capable of understanding why the Hawks and Roos can never truly represent Tasmania, but refuse to accept that the same is true of GWS truly representing Canberra for much the same reasons.
Nope. At the risk of feeding your trolling, you are talking rubbish. As Canberra’s AFL team, the majority of kids and Canberrans support the Giants as seen by the sold out crowds, and ongoing record memberships.

Nope. At the risk of feeding your trolling, you are talking rubbish. As Canberra’s AFL team, the majority of kids and Canberrans support the Giants as seen by the sold out crowds, and ongoing record memberships.
Yes, but wouldn’t they be the second team for most Canberra AFL fans?

Yes, but wouldn’t they be the second team for most Canberra AFL fans?
Not necessarily. For kids and those new to the game, Giants are their primary team. The Giants visit schools, have signing sessions, and have the Recruits program for kids and their parents to watch AFL games. Also, from the experience of my friends who have had a prior team identification, a substantial proportion now have Giants as their primary team due to the 13 year relationship Giants have had with the community as Canberra’s AFL team. Most initially attended Giants matches just to watch AFL, and then moved to having Giants as their second team to now having Giants as their equal first/ primary team. To know the Giants is to love ❤️ them! 😛

Last edited:

You have to know that good crowds and memberships don't prove anything of the sort in Canberra.

All it proves is that we like AFL. You can't read anything more into that.

You're grasping badly at this point. Labelling your critics trolls and refusing to address any of their criticism is the resort of people who have lost the debate.

You are making an extortionary claim, and we both know that the Giant's crowds and memberships don't prove what you're claiming they do. So do you have any other evidence that 'the majority of kids and Canberrans support the Giants' in any meaningful sense of the term whatsoever. Statistics? Polls? Any data whatsoever?

Deep down even you must know that the answer is no, and that you are just desperately clinging to anything that reaffirms your preconceived notions.

And doesn't it give you pause that your claims are the complete opposite of the experiences of every other person who lives in Canberra who has cared to share their opinion on the subject?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not necessarily. For kids and those new to the game, Giants are their primary team. The Giants visit schools, have signing sessions, and have the Recruits program for kids and their parents to watch AFL games. Also, from the experience of my friends who have had a prior team identification, a substantial proportion now have Giants as their primary team due to the 13 year relationship Giants have had with the community as Canberra’s AFL team. Most initially attended Giants matches just to watch AFL, and then moved to having Giants as their second team to now having Giants as their equal first/ primary team. To know the Giants is to love ❤️ them! 😛
Your 'friends' being the members of the Canberra GIANTS Supporter Group LOL.

Out of interest does the club post yearly how many members are from Canberra?

Comparing the Dogs in Canberra is a waste of time as we didn’t really give it that much effort from memory. They just gave us a better deal than docklands was, which causing a loss under a 30k crowd and the amount above was flat even if it was 40k+. In Ballarat the Dogs put effort thats in line to the Giants in Canberra but its is a different market.

Last edited:
Out of interest does the club post yearly how many members are from Canberra?

Comparing the Dogs in Canberra is a waste of time as we didn’t really give it that much effort from memory. They just gave us a better deal than docklands was, which causing a loss under a 30k crowd and the amount above was flat even if it was 40k+. In Ballarat the Dogs put effort thats in line to the Giants in Canberra but its is a different market.

There's about 6800 this year. Just under a fifth of Giants total membership.

Two smallest crowds of the season happening right now at GC and GWS. Can’t recall Metricon so empty. GWS might have slightly more, but both around 5k - 7k if we are being honest.
Freo games normally draw approx 10k. We have played Freo 3 times (before today’s game) at Giants Stadium, and the highest crowd was 11,233 and the lowest 8,633. At our Manuka home, we have also played Freo 3 times with the highest crowd being 11,356 and the lowest 7,338.

Two smallest crowds of the season happening right now at GC and GWS. Can’t recall Metricon so empty. GWS might have slightly more, but both around 5k - 7k if we are being honest.

I was actually thinking the Giants crowd looked pretty decent today. All the bays in the bottom tier seem at least half full. I've definitely seen it emptier.

Probably 12k at Carrara. Pacific airshow on this weekend probably cost 2-3k. Twilight timeslot may have assisted in some respects.

Record Carrara crowd v Melbourne is 13,840 in 2013
Might’ve been able to break that record had finals still been in play. Still seems a somewhat respectable crowd.

Agree has built up. Why would they start both these games so early? GWS should be at 3.20pm

Yeah there were a lot of people walking the concourse in the first quarter looking for seats.

The early match is probably good for those travelling from Canberra or regional NSW. Means you can make it there and back in the same day.

I was in Sydney last weekend and saw way more Giants gear than I expected.

Admittedly, I was in eastern Sydney (Surry Hills), but I collectively saw more Giants gear than any single NRL team. Saw a few hats on Saturday, then more Giants merch again heading towards to City to Surf on Sunday. And my mate saw a group of guys in Giants merch leaving the pub singing Big Big Sound after beating Brisbane.

Not quite in Sydney where you'd want them, but way more than I'd expected in Sydney at all. And more than I've seen in Canberra (outside of when we're hosting a game).

I was in Sydney last weekend and saw way more Giants gear than I expected.

Admittedly, I was in eastern Sydney (Surry Hills), but I collectively saw more Giants gear than any single NRL team. Saw a few hats on Saturday, then more Giants merch again heading towards to City to Surf on Sunday. And my mate saw a group of guys in Giants merch leaving the pub singing Big Big Sound after beating Brisbane.

Not quite in Sydney where you'd want them, but way more than I'd expected in Sydney at all. And more than I've seen in Canberra (outside of when we're hosting a game).
The issue remains that most of the interest in Aussie Rules in Sydney is still in the eastern suburbs, North Shore, and inner west.

And just by personal observation, you're as likely to see someone in Swans merchandise in Western Sydney as you are someone who supports GWS.

I have no doubt that there's enough interest in the AFL in Sydney to support two clubs.

And my suspicion is if GWS became the "Sydney Giants" and played at the SCG, at least in the short-to-medium term, their attendances will go up.

If attendances don't start picking up with the Western Sydney Metro and Parra light rail phase two, it's worth asking the question whether the Giants should remain in Western Sydney?

And if so, whether a new home ground closer to Parra itself and a name change to the "Western Sydney Giants" might help to grow their support?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast and GWS has failed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back