2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he’s a good chance to play that forward-mid role that Flanders is currently occupying.
He's twice the footballer Flanders is currently.I think he has taken time to get back from his injuries.Should be best 22 next year with a good pre season

Great to hold on for the win in the final minutes!

This Johnston kid did a few nice things in the 4th. Don’t mind the look of him as a potential rookie.

Rosas playing down back? Or just through the middle and kept finding himself down there? Couldn’t tell.

GCFC 13.13.91 def BFC 13.11.89

Disposals: Fiorini (32), Oea (20), Bowes (18), Markov (18), Thompson (18)
Goals: Day (3.1), Bowes (3.0), Sexton (3.0), Burgess (1.3), Faulkhead (1.1), Moyle (1.0), Oea (1.0)
Hitouts: Moyle (29), Conroy (8) lose to Fort (29), Lane (5), Smith (4)

Great to hold on for the win in the final minutes!

This Johnston kid did a few nice things in the 4th. Don’t mind the look of him as a potential rookie.

Rosas playing down back? Or just through the middle and kept finding himself down there? Couldn’t tell.
Rosas played HB. Agree, Johnston looked good as game progressed, definitely talented. Mac getting better every game now. Ace turned it on in 2nd half.

Rosas played HB. Agree, Johnston looked good as game progressed, definitely talented. Mac getting better every game now. Ace turned it on in 2nd half.
Rosas could be a HB. People have suggested Rankine could play there, but Rosas could make sense due to his speed and pressure.

Ace with his speed and pressure is good. Just a few things to work on, but far happier with him than I was at the start of the year.

From today, Bowes can come in. Wouldn’t be bringing in Davies off of that game. Fiorini can only play mid, but he does it well—we just don’t have a spot for him.

Still not sure who replaces Ballard. Could just bring in Markov, with Farrar as the third. Otherwise I guess Thompson, though Andrew did some good things but not sure on that.

Is Brayden destined to be the guy who dominates the level below but can't step up?
Or is he yet another player we haven't worked out how to utilise at AFL level?
I mean I watch him play VFL and he looks like he's just doing whatever he wants
Probably suits a different team, good link up player from the contest but we don't play possession footy which he would thrive in.

He looks backwards or sideways with the footy instead of lacing one out to a leading forward because he has no kicking penetration

Is Brayden destined to be the guy who dominates the level below but can't step up?
The former.
Doesn't have any X factor to be an AFL player. Dominates this league because he isn't getting burnt off the field with pace

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give him a pre-season and half a season working with Harbs and I think Rosas could make a tidy small defender. Has most of the tools - speed, nice left foot, strong defensive efforts already.

The only question is how much more potential do we see in him as a forward?

Unlike most players we have given away, Fiorini doesn’t really have one standout skill you can work with. Slow, shocking by foot, not great defensively, not big enough to be a contested beast like Brodie. Reads the play well and is good with his hands in tight though.

Screams a team like St Kilda or Essendon IMO.

Was at the game yesterday, mainly paying attention to Brisbane but some thoughts on some gold coast players.

Oea - was everywhere, providing run and carry through the middle of the ground, had a few great moments where he swung the momentum in the suns favour, particularly his run down tackles. Unfortunately had a couple of absolute shocking plays, one where his opponent dragged him deep to the goal square and pushed off him too easily for an uncontested mark and shot on goal. He also dropped an easy chest mark at centre half forward in the final minutes of the game when gold coast was trying to slow it down, leading to Brisbane to take the ball forward against the run of play. His kicking was poor, falling short or not quite being to his team mates advantage the majority of the time. A much improved player, but needs to fix his kicking for more senior opportunities. Reminds me of Lewis Taylor.
Faulkhead - was fairly quiet, but he won the ball at speed out of the centre, got around a couple of Brisbane players and goaled from 50, highlight of the game.
Moyle - held his own against a good opponent, wouldn't look out of place if Dew ran 2 rucks in the seniors.
Bowes - should never be in the reserves when fit.
Davies - always holds his ground over the footy, both in the reserves and seniors. Pretty agile for a big man, and took a good contested mark.
Constable - a little quieter than usual, but he wins the footy and is a tidy kick. Would much rather him in the seniors than fiorini, tsitas and flanders. Even if he only played 65% game time, just to take some pressure off Touk, Rowell and Anderson.
Andrew - good game even though he had 4 goals kicked on him. It's just his weight letting him down. Must be growing in confidence because a few times when gold coast were clearing the ball out of their back line, he demanded the footy off his team mates.
Rosas - was down back a fair bit, looked good on the rebound, makes good decisions and is usually a tidy kick, but a few times his kicks were lazy, and dropped a little short of their target. His main issue I've noticed is sometimes he is not perfectly clean when gathering the footy.
Brock - looks to be filling out well, had a very good chase down effort on one of our small running players. Seems trustworthy with the ball in hand, not sure about his defensive ability as he's often an extra tall down back, and mans up a small or medium player.
Thompson - still good enough for AFL
Johnston - 56 I think, perhaps an academy player? Good leap, quick, loves to rebound. Tank may need some work, but even when he was blowing he was still trying to take the game on. Got outsmarted for a goal by Lohmann, and once went the all or nothing leaving his man to impact a contest, but didn't quite make it. Should be able to improve upon those 2 mistakes.
Burgess - I think he is AFL quality/very good depth, if he was 2 inches taller it would be a definite.

That faulkhead goal is something you see Dangerfield or bontempelli do every second week and we’ve have not ever seen at the suns apart from Ablett or Harley.

Attacking the 50 and driving it from distance.

Really excited to see how he develops.

That faulkhead goal is something you see Dangerfield or bontempelli do every second week and we’ve have not ever seen at the suns apart from Ablett or Harley.

Attacking the 50 and driving it from distance.

Really excited to see how he develops.
He is definitely a player we can offer an extension to if he wants to stay on the coast. Could add a bit of depth there and compete with Sharp/Ellis for a winger role. Done some good things this year for us.

He is definitely a player we can offer an extension to if he wants to stay on the coast. Could add a bit of depth there and compete with Sharp/Ellis for a winger role. Done some good things this year for us.
A mid season draftee - I'm pretty sure he would be happy to stay on the coast for an extension.

So while we already have a thread dedicated to the Seniors Run home we haven't really noticed the Ressies very much being in the picture to cracking the top 8.

First things first, We've got to beat Port Melbourne this weekend - If not then I've wasted my time and we can throw the whole thing out.

But the week after we have a bye and then Southport and North to close out the season

My very rough projection has us finishing 9th on percentage but I'd like to see what everyone else thinks.

It could very well come down to us needing to Beat North by X but a win vs Southport would be extremely handy

End of Q1. Conroy, McLennan & Nicholls still failing to impact even when it's virtually one-way traffic.

Day, Corbett & Burgess taking advantage of a dominant midfield.

Corbett been working very hard. Could be an IN for the seniors soon. Pressing up to wings, and then all the way back.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Gold Coast Reserves: Title Defense 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back