Gold Coast Suns AFL Funding - Return on value

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL makes heaps of money. They have a large operating surplus.
They can afford to prop up teams and the AFLW for the contributions they make to other indirect gains.
They fund GC, GWS, small Melbourne teams, the entire AFLW and still make a surplus of $30m.

GWS is the issue.

Better team on field but the Suns have done what the AFL intended: engage a new audience.

Quite a few players are coming through from that area and the crowds are better and more engaged.

GWS crowds look and feel like a bunch of curious one-timers who jagged free tickets or it's a few ex southern state ex pats. most of their academy players come from some of the most established footballing areas in the country down near Wagga and the Riverina.

The only guy to come through from a truly league town was Heeney and that was at the Swans...

They've made some massive growth in grass roots football in the Gold Coast since the team was created, so they're obviously doing a great job of creating more lifeline fans of football over there.
Its about Gold coast making finals .

Gold coast hosting and winning a home final will bring in more local fans. they would get 15-20,000 each week if they did.

Dockers 1st final was in 2003 and dockers fan base slowly increased from there.

GWS is the issue.

Better team on field but the Suns have done what the AFL intended: engage a new audience.

Quite a few players are coming through from that area and the crowds are better and more engaged.

GWS crowds look and feel like a bunch of curious one-timers who jagged free tickets or it's a few ex southern state ex pats. most of their academy players come from some of the most established footballing areas in the country down near Wagga and the Riverina.

The only guy to come through from a truly league town was Heeney and that was at the Swans...
The AFL wont care. Swans average 30,000 to 40,000 at the SCG when they are good.

AFL wont complain if GWS pulls in half of that. If GWS pulls in 15,000 to 20,000 in that 25,000 giants stadium, the AFL are happy.

Having an extra game a week is worth a lot more through TV rights than the cost of subsidising a couple of teams.

That is the claim but is it true? How much money is made on the lowest rated game each week ?

What is the long term costs of watering down the talent pool and distributing less to the clubs which need it ?

That is the claim but is it true? How much money is made on the lowest rated game each week ?

What is the long term costs of watering down the talent pool and distributing less to the clubs which need it ?
Remember a few years back I quoted you about me being happy the AFL pouring 10 million dollars a year producing 1 or 2 AFL hopefuls from Queensland? I still stick by that statement.

If the state of Queensland produces 3 or 4 AFL draftees a year, that's still 30 or 40 AFL players drafted in 10 seasons.

The AFL wont care. Swans average 30,000 to 40,000 at the SCG when they are good.

AFL wont complain if GWS pulls in half of that. If GWS pulls in 15,000 to 20,000 in that 25,000 giants stadium, the AFL are happy.
Problem is that while GWS are top team and play finals they don't pull 15-20K. They did not even sell out finals this year. What do you think would be crowd numbers if they finish like Suns?

Problem is that while GWS are top team and play finals they don't pull 15-20K. They did not even sell out finals this year. What do you think would be crowd numbers if they finish like Suns?
If GWS finish bottom 6 or Bottom 4, I will assume 6 or 7 thousand a game.

There is 2 or 3 million in Western NSW and that covers a good 60 to 100 kilometres.

Gold Coast I am more curious on how many will rock up if they make and won finals

That extra game apparently was bringing 50M extra in media deal 5 years ago according to McLachlan.

10 teams in Melbourne is crazy. Not expanding AFL in QLD. BTW, my guess it's probably only 5-6 teams that would survive without subsidies.
If GWS finish bottom 6 or Bottom 4, I will assume 6 or 7 thousand a game.

There is 2 or 3 million in Western NSW and that covers a good 60 to 100 kilometres.

Gold Coast I am more curious on how many will rock up if they make and won finals
I can't imagine Suns not selling out finals games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Suns AFL Funding - Return on value

Remove this Banner Ad

Back