Gold Coast Suns outdraw Gold Coast Titans

Remove this Banner Ad

honeymoon period for the suns still. Need to a wait a few years before the comparisons start. ... and still the crowds should be decent as they will be in the finals for about 10 straight years.

2009-2010 Australian Bureau of Statistics.

35,916 people moved to Queensland from Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania.

Like all migrants many will be attracted to events from their native culture.

Yep, and they will bring their local friends/relos with them. That's how things grow.

2009-2010 Australian Bureau of Statistics.

35,916 people moved to Queensland from Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia and Tasmania.

Like all migrants many will be attracted to events from their native culture.

A significant proportion also migrated from QLD and NSW to VIC. Why aren't they at the storm games?

nrl is seriously a weak league to compare to. we'll always smash their numbers, they are such a small sport down here.

There would've been about 7,000 Dogs supporters out of that 16,000 crowd I reckon.

Either way, it was good hearing the Suns crowd get into the game in the last quarter. Seems like a good atmosphere. Just to relax on the music and it's all good.

[Rugby] League in trouble on the Gold Coast

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/06/27/327635_gold-coast-titans.html

RUGBY league is in trouble on the Gold Coast.

The Titans are on the bottom of the ladder, playing dreadfully, and crowds have fallen 25 per cent in recent years.

On Saturday the Titans came up against the Gold Coast Suns AFL team for the first time in a Super Saturday double-header and got their backsides smacked.

I know because I attended both games.

More than 16,000 showed up at Suns v Western Bulldogs (2.10pm kick-off) and only 12,997 at the Titans v Sharks (5.30pm kick-off), a figure that looked hugely inflated judging by the number of empty seats.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2011/06/27/327635_gold-coast-titans.html

I will also say that when I went to Melbourne vs Gold Coast in Brisbane there were heaps of kids wearing GC gear. That's what you want!

Attending the NAB Cup opener between the Swans, Suns and Giants there was a huge number of kids in Giants colours as well, and agreed, this points to good things going forwards for both new teams.

I will also say that when I went to Melbourne vs Gold Coast in Brisbane there were heaps of kids wearing GC gear. That's what you want!

Attending the NAB Cup opener between the Swans, Suns and Giants there was a huge number of kids in Giants colours as well, and agreed, this points to good things going forwards for both new teams.

fantastic:thumbsu:

Even Phil Rothfield, a Daily Telegraph-AFL hating/NRL loving idiot of a journo wrote an article today about how the Titans are losing the battle.

And it'll only get worse. The Suns are outdrawing the Titans now, even when GC people know they're going to get flogged more often than not. The Suns will be a regular part of the top 4 for the next 5 to 10 years, they're very likely to win at least a couple of premierships. The crowds and the support from the Gold Coast community will only build when that success happens.

Meanwhile, the Titans will have as many crap seasons as they will good seasons (if they're lucky).

It's very easy to see how this "battle" will play out.

There are 5 thousand or so Juniors/Auskick in GWS zone, Send GWS players to run a clinic at every single Junior club / Auskick center, give each kid a Gaints scarf, cap and t-shirt and free ticket to the opening game. Some won't attend but those that do will bring a parent and other siblings who will have to buy a ticket. You get an extra 10,000 at the first game and extra couple thousand fans for the cost of some crappy merchandise.

Not that we get the benefit in WA - buy you'd think a weekend away to escape the cold to QLD would be a good option to watch your team.

There'd also be a quite a fex expats as well

The telling figure won't be the crowd - it will be the junior involvement.

That's where the winning of the hearts and minds is - when little johnny comes home and tells dad he was to play aussie rules

And this is where the AFL can, and do, play it so much smarter than the NRL.
David Gallop has publicly stated that the Titans will not get any funding
Meanwhile the AFL is pumping huge money into the new franchise, plus a bunch of money into junior development

Never mind whether the adult locals prefer RL over AR (and at this point, I think they do), the NRL simply doesn't have the cash to compete at a junior level.

Plus, if the Titans end up in financial trouble the NRL won't be able to bail them out. If Michael Searle, MD of the twin companies that are essentially paying for the Titans, also becomes a part of the independent body looking to take over the running of the NRL, I can't see how his companies can remain in control

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are 5 thousand or so Juniors/Auskick in GWS zone, Send GWS players to run a clinic at every single Junior club / Auskick center, give each kid a Gaints scarf, cap and t-shirt and free ticket to the opening game. Some won't attend but those that do will bring a parent and other siblings who will have to buy a ticket. You get an extra 10,000 at the first game and extra couple thousand fans for the cost of some crappy merchandise.

That is a pretty good idea. Players involvement visiting local teams running clinics would be good!

Anyway gold coast vs collingwood is SOLD OUT.

Asking $139 on ebay. Which is crimminal. Great for the league as personnaly i dont give the suns team a chance so it will be a non event. But great to have another sold out game!

Glad collingwoods toothless centerlink loving bogan tracksuit wearing losers will make the trip up there and create another sold out game!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOLD-COA...50843724524?pt=AU_Tickets&hash=item3a67737aec

That is a pretty good idea. Players involvement visiting local teams running clinics would be good!

Anyway gold coast vs collingwood is SOLD OUT.

Asking $139 on ebay. Which is crimminal. Great for the league as personnaly i dont give the suns team a chance so it will be a non event. But great to have another sold out game!

Glad collingwoods toothless centerlink loving bogan tracksuit wearing losers will make the trip up there and create another sold out game!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GOLD-COA...50843724524?pt=AU_Tickets&hash=item3a67737aec

Our tax dollars funding the dole hard at work once again :D

It'd be really interesting to see the AFL and NRL get together and do a 2-for-1 deal for Suns/Titans games. NRL would never bite though as they would lose too many fans after they see how good AFL is live.

Those NRL figures were pumped up by a fair bit too apartently......what sort of professional sport in this part of the world pumps up their own figures?

The AFL is apparently paying thousands of people to go :rolleyes:
Yeah lol. What will the Drugby folk come up with next eh?

And even if this absurd theory is true...it's a much better plan than just blatantly pumping up figures where blind Freddie can see that the NRL is bullshitting

A significant proportion also migration from QLD and NSW to VIC. Why aren't they at the storm games?

Thats so true, the Storm would have at least 100,000 NSW expats/NZs/Islanders that like the rugby codes so why are the Storm still only getting 10,000 in Melbourne.
It makes it even worse for them as they are on TOP of the ladder ATM.

Thats so true, the Storm would have at least 100,000 NSW expats/NZs/Islanders that like the rugby codes so why are the Storm still only getting 10,000 in Melbourne.
It makes it even worse for them as they are on TOP of the ladder ATM.

You can see the league mindset by the way they approach the Sydney market. They believe that the Storm are in Melbourne to covert everyone to league. This is the only explanation as to why the DailyTerrorgraph always has articles about football wanting to wipe out league, and football wanting to take over in the west.

GWS and Gold Coast will succeed in there respected areas. Marketing works. Its a good product they are trying to sell. Most people are impressed by AFL from overseas, i know of quite a few who have gone to games ect.

Kids will be intrested in it and kids who dont feel like running into a brick wall will be keen to give it a try.

Apartently they are going to setup a team in WA and want to play games in Adelaide....maybe they should focus on the areas they are struggling to keep as NRL territory rather than focusing on pointless tasks which they've already tried and failed countless times

Problem is RL doesn't really have a great product to market. You could buy $10 billion worth of advertising to sell faeces, but you still won't get great sales.

I like watching a game of RL every now and then but it's hard not to get turned off by the 'Rugby league, the greatest game of all!!!!!' every 10 seconds and comments like 'Jamie Soward, the fastest man in the world over 30m'.

It's ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Suns outdraw Gold Coast Titans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back