Gold Coast Suns outdraw Gold Coast Titans

Remove this Banner Ad

What I find amazing is the reaction from the Sydney media about the AFL 'invasion', in effect hyping it even more.

I remember when the Storm started up, I don't remember a word being spoken about NRL taking over or stealing supporters from AFL. I just remember Melburnians embracing the team, first as a curiosity (or as something to do when their AFL team wasn't playing) and then as a fully fledged part of the community. Might have lost a few AFL supporters to the Storm, but on the whole we were always happy to give them a chance. Hell, some AFL clubs even use some of their staff on occasion, or have Craig Bellamy address their team.

Imagine that shit happening in Sydney, forget it!

(I know this is a GC thread, but really it's about the NRL and their 'heartland')

I honestly didnt know about this NRL v AFL rivarly until i joined big footy. Its insane. The NRL fans are way more aggresive in it i feel and simply just shout GAYFL at any chance. I think afl people understand our code is bigger and we dont need to prove anything more.

Melbourne is the biggest sporting city of the world IMO. ANy event that comes this way we embrace... Soccer, union, commonwealth games ect.. Having a rugby team is great and we are opened minded to it. I dont like rugby but i couldnt care less that we have a team i know it will never surpass afl. I think thats the properly NRL idiot have. We arent trying to take over there sport as such but they like in a city of 9 mill there is deffintly room for 2 afl teams

Thats so true, the Storm would have at least 100,000 NSW expats/NZs/Islanders that like the rugby codes so why are the Storm still only getting 10,000 in Melbourne.
It makes it even worse for them as they are on TOP of the ladder ATM.

So you pluck 3 games out of 10 where Storm drew 10,000 people, care to quote the attendances for the other 7 games?

Storm are very on par to a lot of the Sydney clubs who have the luxury of drawing opposition supporters, especially after last year's salary cap drama and the introduction of the rugby union team in Melb.

After all these years, you of all people should know about the difference in culture between afl and nrl with bums on seats, but you keep on continuing posting dribble and bs.

No, get out of our state!

It's enough that we have to put up with the Force dudding up our state with their ineptitude, don't tell me we have to endure a second Thugby team here too...

I can't stand rugby, don't even know why, just find it unwatchable and a blight on the sporting community!

Go Suns!!!

Thank god we live in a democratic country and if people want a rugby league, rugby union or soccer team representing WA its their choice, not yours.

And why is it a blight on the sporting community?

It definitely is an interesting comparison with the Storm.

I don't think that Rugby League is even close to mainstream popularity in Melbourne but people don't hate it. People either choose to like it or they don't really care. Why should people care? It isn't as if rugby league is doing anything to hurt AFL in Melbourne.

Up in Sydney and to a lesser extend Queensland it is different. There are now three main groups. Those who like AFL, those who don't care and those who really hate it. Why hate unless you are insecure about your own favourite sport?

I do understand that I am talking in gross generalisations here but, in the words of Dennis Denuto, it's just the vibe of the thing.

That doesn't mean they weren't paid for. It's pretty common for teams to provide tickets to their sponsors as part of a package and media outlets as contra for promoting the game.

Big difference between getting tickets from a sponsor and getting them because they were handing them out at the local shopping centre to anyone that's walking past.

Good point actually. The guy said he got the free tickets from work.

I honestly didnt know about this NRL v AFL rivarly until i joined big footy. Its insane. The NRL fans are way more aggresive in it i feel and simply just shout GAYFL at any chance. I think afl people understand our code is bigger and we dont need to prove anything more.

Melbourne is the biggest sporting city of the world IMO. ANy event that comes this way we embrace... Soccer, union, commonwealth games ect.. Having a rugby team is great and we are opened minded to it. I dont like rugby but i couldnt care less that we have a team i know it will never surpass afl. I think thats the properly NRL idiot have. We arent trying to take over there sport as such but they like in a city of 9 mill there is deffintly room for 2 afl teams
Spot on.

I think it shows that they're scared for the future of their game up there. There's no other reason why they're making such a big deal about a different sport starting a couple of clubs in areas where their game is dominant. If their game is strong, it should survive, no? If their kids will prefer it (as they say), they'll choose it, right? And even if they do decide to play one game instead of another, it's better that they have that choice to play a sport they enjoy more, right? So why feel so ****ing threatened?

Down here we were never in doubt that The Storm could be successful while not hurting AFL, and they've done a great job in not ****-blocking AFL and their supporters (people mention the World Cup bid, but the main reason people here were so against it was because of the disruption to the season). We go on about Melbourne's sporting culture, but it's absolutely true, and it's why it's so baffling to us why people up north act as they do.

Might have lost a few AFL supporters to the Storm, but on the whole we were always happy to give them a chance.

anyone i know that has a melbourne storm membership is also a member of their AFL club....is possible to support both codes

Good news for the Suns and the AFL. However, NRL has consistently dominated the TV Ratings over the AFL, while AFL has always been dominant in Crowd numbers and memberships. Even in NSW and QLD.

Not sure why this is but that is a fact. Amazing to think that the Suns v Collingwood game has already sold out. That is a massive acheivment.

Thank god we live in a democratic country

Like Sydney accepting AR with open arms .

Actually with GWS I think all this "invasion" talk actually gives them ongoing exposure and credance .

I hear the Sydney council is changing Australia Day to "Invasion day" .
Isn't that going to cause some sort of confusion ?
I mean ,Sydney kids growing up thinking Sydney was founded by some AR expansionists .

Good news for the Suns and the AFL. However, NRL has consistently dominated the TV Ratings over the AFL, while AFL has always been dominant in Crowd numbers and memberships. Even in NSW and QLD.

Not sure why this is but that is a fact. Amazing to think that the Suns v Collingwood game has already sold out. That is a massive acheivment.
You have ventured over from LU correct?
Both AFL Grand Finals > NRL Grand Final
Don't forget the double counting of the regionals.
Even so, "consistently dominating"?
That's why the TV rights obviously reflect this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've been getting your facts from LU I see. Don't believe everything you read. Ratings can be twisted to state anything you want them to, and consistently are. You only need to know 2 things about Football vs thugby league on TV:

a) $1.25 billion
b) http://www.talkingfooty.com/tv_ratings_2011.php

"Over the entire season, the AFL was watched by a total of 65,023,000 and the NRL by 40,272,000. But what many fail to take into account is the three hour running time of an AFL telecast compared to the two hour running time of it's NRL rival. When this is taken into account, the AFL is viewed 2.4 times as often as the NRL on free-to-air according to Oztam figures. 195,069,000 cumulative hours were viewed for the AFL compared to 80,546,000 for the NRL. "

This is why we have them covered comfortably on TV as well as in everything else....

Prove it! As Roddy explains the NRL w***ers always inflate the TV figures to suit themselves, a bit like their crowd figures - think of a number and double it LOL

TV ratings are only an estimate and are dodgy at the best of times and it depends which way they are assesed and as to who may or may not have the most viewers at any particular time.

I would rather have bums on seats and hundreds of thousands of members and very high TV ratings like the AFL than just TV ratings to hang my hat on.

RL will really feel the pinch when the "Leagues Clubs" who basically have propped up RL for 60 years start to feel the pinch of higher taxes and government controls on problem gamblers and can no longer put the money in.

TV ratings are only an estimate and are dodgy at the best of times and it depends which way they are assesed and as to who may or may not have the most viewers at any particular time.

I have tried to get some interest in this subject before .
People just don't realise ratings are still very inaccurately monitored,
open to simple manipulation and a sampling process.

Attendances are a total measure .

Thank god we live in a democratic country and if people want a rugby league, rugby union or soccer team representing WA its their choice, not yours.

And why is it a blight on the sporting community?

LOL mate get a sense of humour, hey.

RL will really feel the pinch when the "Leagues Clubs" who basically have propped up RL for 60 years start to feel the pinch of higher taxes and government controls on problem gamblers and can no longer put the money in.

very true

that and news limited are the only things keeping NRL running

What, watching league? leave her alone she can do what she want's, we live in a democracy remember.

white_knight.jpg

Prove it! As Roddy explains the NRL w***ers always inflate the TV figures to suit themselves, a bit like their crowd figures - think of a number and double it LOL

I would rather have bums on seats and hundreds of thousands of members and very high TV ratings like the AFL than just TV ratings to hang my hat on.

Television sets are like wallpaper these days.
Quite often they are on and nobody is watching.
This is how you explain any kind of rating of the tripe they call programming in general.
Fattest Loser, My fat wedding, fattest cops, celebrity fat coles shopper, fat and still gardening, master/hamburger chef, most repeated home video's, look I'm sick and in hospital, beachside vet etc. etc. etc.

It's a conveyor belt of white noise for the brain dead, which only has to meet the requirements for broadcast, so the networks have a vehicle to stick their advertising into.
Next thing you know they will be having programs made solely of ads....wait?...they already do.

Ratings are blunt tools to con advertisers, pure and simple.

Television sets are like wallpaper these days.
Quite often they are on and nobody is watching.

Actually , most of the time TVs are running in the background left on all day like people did with radios .Very few programs are watched consistantly and thoroughly .Very few people are pedantic enough to log in out each time they view and certainly they don't log guests in and out .I can't be too critical because if ratings were exposed FTA would dissappear overnight .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gold Coast Suns outdraw Gold Coast Titans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back