Golden Rivers FL

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
kerang would have to have the best surface to play on in the district as well, and the facilities are above all GRFL grounds so as sam kekovich says you know it makes sense
I'm all for the GF being played in Kerang with the one exception, the bloody ground runs east-west and after half time you cant see s h it.

kerang would have to have the best surface to play on in the district as well, and the facilities are above all GRFL grounds so as sam kekovich says you know it makes sense

I would have doubts as to Kerang having the best ground surface, the ground itself is quite uneven with a few low points over the ground, it is good but not on the pedistal that most put it on.

Macorna's ground by all reports was nice and soft.

Kerangs surface is good enough to host an Interleague fixture (CMFL v BendigoFL) and so should be fit enough to host the GRFL GF. The surface is nothing short of beautiful and let's not forget where most of the Sponsorship comes from within the League. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind having it a little closer to the main street of Kerang. There are some good surfaces around the area though regardless of the drought.

I'm all for the GF being played in Kerang with the one exception, the bloody ground runs east-west and after half time you cant see s h it.
you took the words right out of my mouth, the ground is like a bloody balloon also. Its playing surface would be struggling against Murrabit, now you are talking a terrific surface. if the GRFL grounds are good enough for all the other finals why not the GF or is it to do with our board members all being members of the Gannawarra Shire perhaps thoughts on this???:confused:

Facilities if you call piss and crap running out the doorway of the dunny because they block every year well perhaps your right but normal people dont appreciate these conditions.:eek:

you must be taking the piss. the ground is average, runs the wrong way, is always windy, has no atmosphere, is not in the league, has limited shelter for fans and has nothing to do with the grfl. surely we could hold the granny at a neutral ground in our own league???:eek: the day is supposed to showcase OUR league, not kerang.

you must be taking the piss. the ground is average, runs the wrong way, is always windy, has no atmosphere, is not in the league, has limited shelter for fans and has nothing to do with the grfl. surely we could hold the granny at a neutral ground in our own league???:eek: the day is supposed to showcase OUR league, not kerang.

Have had the pleasure of playing on the surface a couple of times on the big stage and never had any troubles. Imagine the uproar if a team was allowed to play a home grand final. Its unlikely, but it could happen if the GF were to be played at one of the grounds in the league. kerang seems like a good neutral spot for the granny to me, but then again, im a simple man. Homage to the old KDFL, i reckon. And its pretty good visibility from everywhere with plenty of space for supporters.

Your right about the toilet situation though. Terrible. But that aside, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I know one thing, it sure gives the pubs a boost in Kerang. I am happy with Kerang's surface, except the pitches when its muddy, but their facilities r pretty poor. Rooms are too small, everything is blocked (toilets and shower) and you can here what the other team is talking about next door. There is no shelter from the whether and the ground runs the wrong way. So yeah, the only good thing about kerang is the surface and the pubs. I still think murrabit should be the venue. It was always a better atmosphere there and the facilities are much better is every aspect. As for if Murrabit were in the grand final, i think it is irrelevant. Look at the afl, if west coast play in the gf, they know it will be at the mcg, and they know they may come across a team which plays there as their ground. It needs looking at i believe.

I played in a league where all the finals were played at the one ground. That had its good and bad points, but at least you knew where you were going to be playing. I think all the teams in that league are happy with it.
As for Kerang, I think its a crap ground, thats too big, and no atmosphere.

Kerang isn't that bad, it central, nuetral and not bad facilities. I believe we can attract a bigger crowd at riverside park. Where else could we realisticly have it?:confused:

Kerang isn't that bad, it central, nuetral and not bad facilities. I believe we can attract a bigger crowd at riverside park. Where else could we realisticly have it?:confused:

why would there be a bigger crowd at kerang? the only reason the gate figures are larger is because they started to charge u/17 entry when the granny went to kerang. not that keith has ever reconised that. the one and only real reason some clubs dont want the granny in our league is because they dont want to play a granny against a home side. not that that would really matter, if your gonna win it your gonna win it. but we can still play it on a neutral ground:

- the league selects 4 grounds for finals in july.
- approaching finals they select which games would be "clashes" (home sides playing)
- arrange the games so there is no clashes, with a minimum 2 weeks notice for clubs to organise their final.

bob is your uncle, nothing out of our league, clubs can strive to improve their grounds to hold the pinnacle of the year, no unrest from clubs outside the kerang district.

obviously to get everything neutral it may not be quite as easy as that but there is a way around it.

how do other leagues do it, wouldnt think many would hold it outside their league unless the ground was clearly better eg grandstands, perfect surface

why would there be a bigger crowd at kerang? the only reason the gate figures are larger is because they started to charge u/17 entry when the granny went to kerang. not that keith has ever reconised that. the one and only real reason some clubs dont want the granny in our league is because they dont want to play a granny against a home side. not that that would really matter, if your gonna win it your gonna win it. but we can still play it on a neutral ground:

- the league selects 4 grounds for finals in july.
- approaching finals they select which games would be "clashes" (home sides playing)
- arrange the games so there is no clashes, with a minimum 2 weeks notice for clubs to organise their final.

bob is your uncle, nothing out of our league, clubs can strive to improve their grounds to hold the pinnacle of the year, no unrest from clubs outside the kerang district.

obviously to get everything neutral it may not be quite as easy as that but there is a way around it.

how do other leagues do it, wouldnt think many would hold it outside their league unless the ground was clearly better eg grandstands, perfect surface

Another League which uses a neutral venue for a final is the Picola League. They play the 1st and 2nd Semi Finals as a double header on the same day at Barooga (which is not in the League - in the Murray FL).

This is (apparently) done because it is a central venue - the venue has outstanding facilities. The whole thing is pretty unpopular with the clubs - more so from the double header perspective rather than the neutral venue.

The Kyabram and District League are currently considering using a neutral venue for their Grand Final - will either by Kyabram, Tatura or Mooroopna (all GVFL venues). Main reasons for this are much better facilities, better security and central location.

Having watched footy at Barooga, Mooroopna, Kyabram and Tatura they all make Kerang look like a hovel. The facilities are crap - bad toilets, no grandstand and the ground is oriented the wrong way.

If the GRFL continue to use a neutral venue for the Grand Final it should be because it is a superior venue to that which can be provided by the clubs. I dont think Kerang can do it - it might have a great playing surface but from a crowd / spectator perspective it is crap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only problem I see with holding the Grand Final in our league is Hay. To be fair Hay would need to be given a GF, clubs will make a lot more money hosting a GF than they would hosting any of the other finals so Hay would have to be given one. I don't know how the crowd figure would look if Hay was to host a GF.

The other thing is having a neutral GF in all grades would be tough, I know we are just talking about a neutral senior GF but you tell some of the 2's or 3's boys they have to play Murrabit at Murrabit or Wandella at Wandella with there intimate knowledge of the hill, I can't imagine they would be to happy.

Same goes for the netty a lot of the netty courts have different rings which would be a distinct advantage to the home side.

To solve this problem, have the finals at the 3 best grounds in the league and the gf at murrabit and divide the funds evenly between all clubs. This way, the clubs will strive to lift the facilities of their ground and supporter areas, unlike macrona, who know they have a final and absolutely trashed their ground by putting heaps of water on it. Central Murray have no problems with holding the finals at the best grounds and the gf at swan hill. If swan hill r in the grand final, stiff, everyone knows where it is going to be. Correct me if i am wrong, but swan hill have lost a few grand finals in the past 5 years haven't they? Yeah great home ground advantage. Seriously, it has 4 posts at each end and once the ball is bounced, all is forgotten. They only reason i would see a home ground an advantage is during the year, as u would expect more of your supporters to be there, but in the gf, that is a non-issue, as all ur fans should be there.

To solve this problem, have the finals at the 3 best grounds in the league and the gf at murrabit and divide the funds evenly between all clubs. This way, the clubs will strive to lift the facilities of their ground and supporter areas, unlike macrona, who know they have a final and absolutely trashed their ground by putting heaps of water on it. Central Murray have no problems with holding the finals at the best grounds and the gf at swan hill. If swan hill r in the grand final, stiff, everyone knows where it is going to be. Correct me if i am wrong, but swan hill have lost a few grand finals in the past 5 years haven't they? Yeah great home ground advantage. Seriously, it has 4 posts at each end and once the ball is bounced, all is forgotten. They only reason i would see a home ground an advantage is during the year, as u would expect more of your supporters to be there, but in the gf, that is a non-issue, as all ur fans should be there.

Fair point:thumbsu:

Swan Hill were beaten by better teams, home ground advantage only comes into play if the teams are very close in ability. It won't always make a difference but sometimes it does and if it gives a team an extra 2% on there performance sometimes that can be the difference between winning and losing.

Home ground knowledge is a huge advantage, the dimensions of the grounds in the GRFL are a lot different. Murrabit's ground is a lot bigger than Wakool and Moula. Quamby is very wide and Macorna is quite narrow I think a neutral ground makes a difference also in the preparation, being in your own club rooms, feeling comfortable with the surroundings, it all makes a difference.

Also dividing the money up between all the clubs would never work, do you think any of the clubs that host a final will declare all of there takings. There would be a lot of money that wouldn't get declared and also clubs wouldn't be happy doing all the work to then see the money split between all clubs. Running a final takes a lot of hard work from a lot of people and clubs would not want to host a final if they can sit back do nothing and still make the same money as the club that works there butt off to run the thing.

Swan Hill were beaten by better teams, home ground advantage only comes into play if the teams are very close in ability. It won't always make a difference but sometimes it does and if it gives a team an extra 2% on there performance sometimes that can be the difference between winning and losing.

Home ground knowledge is a huge advantage, the dimensions of the grounds in the GRFL are a lot different. Murrabit's ground is a lot bigger than Wakool and Moula. Quamby is very wide and Macorna is quite narrow I think a neutral ground makes a difference also in the preparation, being in your own club rooms, feeling comfortable with the surroundings, it all makes a difference.

Also dividing the money up between all the clubs would never work, do you think any of the clubs that host a final will declare all of there takings. There would be a lot of money that wouldn't get declared and also clubs wouldn't be happy doing all the work to then see the money split between all clubs. Running a final takes a lot of hard work from a lot of people and clubs would not want to host a final if they can sit back do nothing and still make the same money as the club that works there butt off to run the thing.
Lets be honest, the current system is probably the best.
Why don't we move on and talk about something else, i'm bored.

Probably shouldn't start drinking at 10am then. ;)
Who really cares where the Grand Final is played? The crowd will still be huge and everyone goes home happy.

Nice can of worms I opened there, eh? Seriously, the horse has been flogged enough. It is now dead on its feet. Change of subject please.

Footy trips would be spoken about this time of year. Where is everybody off to??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back