Good Friday v Carlton, "Lock it in"

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne ‏@NorthKangaroos
James Brayshaw will be facing the media at the Royal Children's Hospital shortly. Tweets to follow #GFF #NMFCMedia

JB: We'd like to think that we've been beating the door down for #GFF so we should be at the front of the queue #NMFCMedia

JB: We started the campaign a long time ago, in 1992. Let's contribute to this amazing Appeal #GFF #NMFCMedia

JB: We get on really well with the Blues, we have a good relationship. We think it's a good fit #GFF #NMFCMedia

JB: We understand that next year it'll be on the table and Round 1 #GFF #NMFCMedia

JB should take the hint from Vlad that there is no entitlement here. It's time to put up a strong business plan where everyone wins. "We asked first" isn't going to be the deal closer.

Love this part from Miller because it is the truth

The fact other clubs have now attempted to hijack the occasion not lost on the former administrator.

“It’s not surprising; it’s what’s happened with all our ideas over the years. The same clubs and even the same administrators, who tried to shoot down our idea to play home games in Sydney in the 90's, are now taking games away from home themselves.

“It doesn’t surprise me that clubs who were against it, are now slow to get on the bandwagon.

“The Kangaroos pioneered games against other teams; we took home games to Sydney in 1999 and we had teams like the Bulldogs under Smorgon saying, ‘We’ll never take home games out of the west’ and low and behold, a few years later they’re playing in Darwin and everywhere else.

“We certainly led Friday night football, we led Grand Final Breakfasts and we led playing home games interstate among many other things. We’ve always been trailblazers. We’ve always been imaginative, innovative and on the front foot. Bob Ansett and Ron Casey were always putting these types of things forward and looking at new marketing opportunities.”

Whether it’s against Carlton, the Bulldogs or any other team, Miller doesn’t care. As long as North is the first through the gate.

JB should take the hint from Vlad that there is no entitlement here. It's time to put up a strong business plan where everyone wins. "We asked first" isn't going to be the deal closer.

Carlton is big enough to make the game sustainable. Despite our mediocre performances in recent years we still get plenty of TV exposure and the GF fixture itself will guarantee that plenty of neutral supporters will help fill out Etihad stadium. Despite Carlton's poor membership numbers we still have a huge supporter base. If the AFL ran the game live on TV like ANZAC day then you would have no issues with TV ratings as well.

North and Carlton have done that. It won't be a decision based on press conferences. Sheesh.

North and Carlton have done that. It won't be a decision based on press conferences. Sheesh.
I know that has been tabled (several times) but this constant entitlement PR is wearing thin. I think thats what Vlad was getting at today. The dog whistling is loud. Mind you H2H there will be many very pissed off people if we don't get it. Just not sure Vlad wants to leave us with a parting olive branch.

Thanks christ I watched that, I didn't realise that we only existed due to the generosity of big-hearted benefactors like Fat Ed and the Pies.
The condescension is breathtaking...the smug smile on Eddie's face needs to be removed tomorrow.

Loving the hashtag on the North training jumper #GFF. Must equate to Get F***ed Fatso.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be huge for memberships. Bombers and Collingwood market packages to ensure a seat/ticket to ANZAC Day. We'd hopefully do the same with Good Friday. I've no doubt that a section of Bombers and Collingwood fans are driven to sign up each year to get to their special game. They push capacity with 90,000, and while it'd be silly to suggest we'd get the same numbers no matter who we'd play, with the match played at Etihad, there's no doubt it could be pushed to its 53,000 capacity.

Only way though to drive up demand for tickets is to play a bigger club. Not sure the Dogs would do it. The Blues, more likely. Essendon and Collingwood should be out of the question. Blues are looking for another big game given they've effectively lost the season opener. Tigers still have Dreamtime, Bombers too, and ANZAC Day, and Collingwood, ANZAC Day, and Queens Birthday (not that I'd call the latter a super huge occasion...boring as batsh!t watching the Magpies flog the Demons each year...).

So back to pushing Etihad's capacity of 53,000, there's been times in the recent few years we've played them on a Friday night that we've got attendances in the mid 40,000s. Been a long time since we've met the Blues at the G (04 I think was the last time), but who knows, it could evolve from Etihad to the G and it could be 60,000 which in my view would be considered a resounding success, especially if it was a North home game.

Though bottom line, I'm sure a lot of us have preferences of who we'd like to play, but at the end of the day, getting the game is the priority, and preference of opposition could be a bonus...

It's all hypothetical at the moment though. Nothing's been locked in.

Sent from my Windows 95 computer using NotePad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to hear Vlad the Relocator on the wireless this morning. he said just because clubs have been asking for a Food Friday game for 15 or 20 years it doesn't give them the rights to the day. Said the AFL has not decided and hasn't even discussed it (thats crap). Sounded a bit over the media chat.

After Andy made an asshat of himself over the *hird million dollar payday late last year, he should know that there's a lot going on in the AFL that he isn't being consulted over.

As a Carlton supporter I would rather play the GF game with North Melbourne and give up the opening game against Richmond. Essendon and Collingwood can piss off since they already monopolize the ANZAC day clash.

Onya mate.

As a Carlton supporter I would rather play the GF game with North Melbourne and give up the opening game against Richmond. Essendon and Collingwood can piss off since they already monopolize the ANZAC day clash.
I would be fulthy if they don't give the Good Friday game to North Melbourne and Carlton. The Royal Children's Hospital is right next to the North Melbourne and Carlton suburbs and the clubs have been working together for lot of years to make this happen.

Alternatively ....

Given we don't have relegation or places in international competition to fight for like soccer, why doesn't the AFL have Victorian teams fight for these games. Top two ranked teams from the previous year get ANZAC Day, third and fourth get Good Friday.

Alternatively ....

Given we don't have relegation or places in international competition to fight for like soccer, why doesn't the AFL have Victorian teams fight for these games. Top two ranked teams from the previous year get ANZAC Day, third and fourth get Good Friday.
No that's not fair on the chronic under achievers of the modern era, Collingwood and Richmond.

Eddie McGuire and James Brayshaw are arguing whether Collingwood or North Melbourne should play on Good Friday

McGuire: I just think the biggest team in the competition deserves a little recognition.
Brayshaw: That's what ANZAC Day is for, Eddie.
McGuire: But is that really enough to honour Collingwood?
Brayshaw: Eh, heh, heh...you also have Queen's Birthday.
McGuire: Oh, James, maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong! The important thing is, Collingwood deserves a day to honour them!
Brayshaw: [through clenched teeth] They have two!
McGuire: Well maybe they should have three. I'm Eddie McGuire.

10264691_852836811409718_3890584730904123058_n.jpg

Interesting to hear speculation on radio this morning that the AFL is very keen to ensure Essendon is involved in the Good Friday game, most likely with Doggies. Why would they want to reward the Bummers?

Interesting to hear speculation on radio this morning that the AFL is very keen to ensure Essendon is involved in the Good Friday game, most likely with Doggies. Why would they want to reward the Bummers?

There must be a lot of wheeling and dealing going on behind the scenes, with some people in the media pushing 'their' clubs agenda. So the WB who've been pushing the equalisation argument will happily take the spot of NM and pair up with * to play on Good Friday. Call the game Prodigal son v Hypocrite.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good Friday v Carlton, "Lock it in"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back