Got the wrong bloke!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's another one I think they stuffed up:

Rnd 13: Port vs Bulldogs

3. S.Burgoyne
2 C.C-Collins
1 J.Francou

P.Burgoyne was clearly B.O.G yet doesn't even feature in the votes.

P.Burgoyne 23 possessions, 6 goals
S.Burgoyne 13 possession, 5 goals
C.C-Collins 23 possessions, 0 goals

They must have put S.Burgoyne down and then thought they had already put his brother down, imagine if it cost a player the medal.

My votes for this game read :

3. Anthony Rocca
2. Ben Johnson
1. Brad Johnson

Brad was stiff not to recieve a vote, but Benny Johnson played great. Prestigiacomo would've got a vote if I could've given out 4.

Originally posted by X_box_X
My votes for this game read :

3. Anthony Rocca
2. Ben Johnson
1. Brad Johnson

Brad was stiff not to recieve a vote, but Benny Johnson played great. Prestigiacomo would've got a vote if I could've given out 4.

The you're worse than the umpires Xie!

Jason Cloke killed us that night.

What did Ben johnson do that was so special?

rd16 Roos v Port

Primus got 3 votes for that game
Anthony Stevens got 2 votes..

Anthony Stevens should have had hte 3 votes IMHO... now I am bias, very bias.. but u cant beat 13 tackles among other contributions in one game by one individual

JMO

Go Roos

Originally posted by tashibatts
rd16 Roos v Port

Anthony Stevens should have had hte 3 votes IMHO... now I am bias, very bias.. but u cant beat 13 tackles among other contributions in one game by one individual

JMO

Go Roos

Yeah, that was a bit of a surprise, I thought he should have got 1 vote but I was astonished when they gave him the 3 votes. No player should ever be able to get all 3 votes if their team loses.

Originally posted by tashibatts
rd16 Roos v Port

JMO

Go Roos

Agreed. Maybe Matty didn't mouth off at the umpires that day.
WHat about Port v Carlton Rd 4.
Tredrea, 6 last half goals, tore the blues apart, not one vote.
Or Francous mid season burst, He won the games off his own back against St kilda, Melb and Richmond and did not get one BOG.
But I thought it was a fair result the top two coming from the top two teams over the Home and Away period. Headland got 16 votes from the last 11 games and was unlucky not to poll in Rd 22, It should put up his asking price if he does go back to WA.

What if they kick 14 goals in a losing side? Or if they kick a bag and lose by a point?
Originally posted by Zombie

Yeah, that was a bit of a surprise, I thought he should have got 1 vote but I was astonished when they gave him the 3 votes. No player should ever be able to get all 3 votes if their team loses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Thrawn
You think that's bad? In '93, Greg Williams had 40+ possessions in one game, with a few goals kicked and hardly any clangers (if I can recall). He didn't get one vote in that game. In the end, Williams lost by one vote in the final Brownlow tally.

He also openly abused the umpires after gviving away a 100m penalty. Fairest and Best people. If you want best, pick up a paper.

As much as I can't stand him, what does mouthing off to the umpire have to do with fairness? OK, so the bloke's a tosser and the umpire's quite rightly didn't like him (along with any non-Carlton supporter), but this should not change the way the votes are cast.

I do believe you are right however, the umpires certainly do have their favourites. My argument has always been - if you have 2 blokes play a great game (let's say Williams for example and say Michael Voss) - they both have exceptional games, but Williams mouths off and Voss doesn't. I wonder where the votes go. Human Nature I know, but still doesn't make it right.

Cheers
TW

Originally posted by T.W.Sherrin
As much as I can't stand him, what does mouthing off to the umpire have to do with fairness? OK, so the bloke's a tosser and the umpire's quite rightly didn't like him (along with any non-Carlton supporter), but this should not change the way the votes are cast.

If you believe that abusing the officials is outisde the spirit of the game, yes.

How many of us accept that behaviour in our children? Why should it be different at the elite level?

I do believe you are right however, the umpires certainly do have their favourites. My argument has always been - if you have 2 blokes play a great game (let's say Williams for example and say Michael Voss) - they both have exceptional games, but Williams mouths off and Voss doesn't. I wonder where the votes go. Human Nature I know, but still doesn't make it right.

Agree with the human nature bit. Whether's right or not is a matter of opinion.

Originally posted by Thrawn
You think that's bad? In '93, Greg Williams had 40+ possessions in one game, with a few goals kicked and hardly any clangers (if I can recall). He didn't get one vote in that game. In the end, Williams lost by one vote in the final Brownlow tally.

That's gotta hurt!

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke. He won 2 more than he deserved anyway.

:p

Dave,

Agree with you, but "spirit of the game" is a little bit grey IMO. I don't think it is "unfair" that he abuses the umpires. Who is he not being fair to? The umpire maybe - but certainly not the other team, in fact he is probably doing his own team a disservice by it. The term unfair, to me anyway, suggests that a player is playing unfairly, or outside of the rules, or cheating in some way. OK, so they give free kicks against it, but they give frees for all sorts of things - so by that rationale any player who had a free kick against would be ineligble. I think he is only cheating himself and his team in this instance.
Anyway, I think we sort of agree but disagree on the technicalities. I agree that it is not a good example to be set and he is the loser in the end anyway. Don't ever hear a good word to say about him. Your demeanor on the field goes a long way to showing the character you show off the field IMO. He will never be remembered for the great player he was, only his arrogant sooky nature. A pity really, but his own doing.
I know I'm sort of wandering off the topic here, but I just wanted to squeeze it in. Another high profile sportsman is a good case in point regarding the status of players. Pete Sampras has got to be the most arrogant sob I have ever heard speak in my life. He has no respect among fellow players and the like and will not be remembered for his tennis feats but rather his obnoxious attitude. Did anyone hear his speech after he won the US Open? I almost threw up as he continually heaped praise on himself. The best part to it all though was the way Agassi put him in his place, by suggesting that it's just nice to see people smiling and cheering again given the timing of the event.
There is still room in sport for a little dignity - no matter how much money/pride is on the line.
Cheers
TW

Remove this Banner Ad

Got the wrong bloke!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back