Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Not every player is a vfl footballer, some wont enjoy it, but if a kids got a bit of talent in the gv, push them, look at Rhys went over and won a magary and got drafted. They spend 1-4 years in the vfl they come back a better product, I don't agree with tac cup, I think kids are better playing senior footy and school footy.

I'd also think it would be better having a vfl team in Bendigo, Gippsland, Ballarat and the Murray near unis, look at the side above, I'm sure they'd go close to beating Coburg, Frankston and Coburg
The key being ‘ Rhys got drafted ‘ .
I for one watched Echuca play to watch Rhys when he was there prior to heading to SA and TBH can’t recall going to see them play since .
Players joining VFL or similar when they are a realistic chance of being drafted is different to playing VFL when that isn’t the case .

The key being ‘ Rhys got drafted ‘ .
I for one watched Echuca play to watch Rhys when he was there prior to heading to SA and TBH can’t recall going to see them play since .
Players joining VFL or similar when they are a realistic chance of being drafted is different to playing VFL when that isn’t the case .
Forgive me lord for what I'm about to say.... but I agree with you ROAR 🤦‍♂️
Blokes in the 19-23 age bracket are looking to get drafted. Essendon have a 29yr old ruckman on their VFL sub list which you think would be better off going to a younger bloke. Plus most of the local guys have only received their contracts recently suggesting they're only there to make up numbers if injuries hit, so will probably play more Gv than VFL anyway

Forgive me lord for what I'm about to say.... but I agree with you ROAR 🤦‍♂️
Blokes in the 19-23 age bracket are looking to get drafted. Essendon have a 29yr old ruckman on their VFL sub list which you think would be better off going to a younger bloke. Plus most of the local guys have only received their contracts recently suggesting they're only there to make up numbers if injuries hit, so will probably play more Gv than VFL anyway
Ideally they might play GV footy and qualify for finals ... until they play too many VFL games because of our stupid rule about playing too many VFL games even if they have played the mandatory six. (Or whatever the decreed numbers are for qualification/over qualification)

Groundhog Day ... No need for another round of discussion.

Ideally they might play GV footy and qualify for finals ... until they play too many VFL games because of our stupid rule about playing too many VFL games even if they have played the mandatory six. (Or whatever the decreed numbers are for qualification/over qualification)

Groundhog Day ... No need for another round of discussion.
Its not groundhog day.. because this discussion has nothing to do with qualifications for finals 🤦‍♂️
Think you've jumped the gun a bit on this one Silver

Its not groundhog day.. because this discussion has nothing to do with qualifications for finals 🤦‍♂️
Think you've jumped the gun a bit on this one Silver
It's about the relevance of the VFL Jayco. Simple as that. Some want players playing locally when they have not been drafted out of TAC, others advocate that playing VFL keeps them closer to the window of being drafted being around AFL coaches and players. Posters sit in both camps with relevant arguments about the place of the VFL.

The qualification of said VFL players for GV clubs is intrinsic to the existence of the VFL. You are kidding if you think the two are mutually exclusive. We have discussed it 'ad nauseam'.

Groundhog Day.

It's about the relevance of the VFL Jayco. Simple as that. Some want players playing locally when they have not been drafted out of TAC, others advocate that playing VFL keeps them closer to the window of being drafted being around AFL coaches and players. Posters sit in both camps with relevant arguments about the place of the VFL.

The qualification of said VFL players for GV clubs is intrinsic to the existence of the VFL. You are kidding if you think the two are mutually exclusive. We have discussed it 'ad nauseam'.

Groundhog Day.
Nice use of big words but you're way off the mark.
My comments were about players playing VFL.. not players playing VFL then playing GV finals. 2 totally different discussions.
#notgroundhogday

Last edited:

Groundhog Day.
Repeating .
Playing VFL or participating in any elite pathway , when being drafted is realistic , is vastly different to when it is not.

If you keep making decisions solely for elite player identification and at the expense of grassroots , you’ll get what football is facing .

Grassroots footy is in a dire position across the state and the writing has been on the wall , as so to speak , for many years given the way the game has been directed .

There’ll be some Band-Aid , PR fixes so that a premier league club like Corowa can return , but the core issue is the continual decision making to suit AFL player identification , with no regard for community football .

I could go on and on about the changes/ implementation of things that can be argued to have solely been introduced for elite player ID with no regard for the negative impact on community football .

There are communities whose sole community organisation is a football / netball club and it is paramount to the health and well being of the community .

I have no idea why a competition that was formed in 1877 is now becoming such a bad idea.
1896 -1897 depending on which article you read and that model changed its name to AFL in 1990 .
The current VFL is not the same and the fact it is an additional ‘ pathway ‘ competition is the issue.
I am yet to hear anyone argue about players going to the elite competition in the country .
Additionally it would be interesting to see the percentage of players who play VFL that get drafted ? Particularly when considering a team just from
The GVL can be named .

Last edited:
1896 -1897 depending on which article you read and that model changed its name to AFL in 1990 .
The current VFL is not the same and the fact it is an additional ‘ pathway ‘ competition is the issue.
I am yet to hear anyone argue about players going to the elite competition in the country .
Additionally it would be interesting to see the percentage of players who play VFL that get drafted ? Particularly when considering a team just from
The GVL can be named .

The current competition started in 1996 when the VFA was 'dismantled' by the AFL (that was the term used by the VFA itself in one of their finals Recorders in 1995). They hijacked the VFA's awards as one final F-you to the association.

Repeating .
Playing VFL or participating in any elite pathway , when being drafted is realistic , is vastly different to when it is not.

If you keep making decisions solely for elite player identification and at the expense of grassroots , you’ll get what football is facing .

Grassroots footy is in a dire position across the state and the writing has been on the wall , as so to speak , for many years given the way the game has been directed .

There’ll be some Band-Aid , PR fixes so that a premier league club like Corowa can return , but the core issue is the continual decision making to suit AFL player identification , with no regard for community football .

I could go on and on about the changes/ implementation of things that can be argued to have solely been introduced for elite player ID with no regard for the negative impact on community football .

There are communities whose sole community organisation is a football / netball club and it is paramount to the health and well being of the community .

Why play at all if you are no chance of being drafted?

A lot of VFL clubs remain huge parts of their community just as country clubs do. There are countless examples of blokes having long careers in the VFL because of their connection to their club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why play at all if you are no chance of being drafted?

A lot of VFL clubs remain huge parts of their community just as country clubs do. There are countless examples of blokes having long careers in the VFL because of their connection to their club
No problem with the competition being community aligned , if that is the case then ensure it has the same restrictions as other community competitions eg points system .
Reality is it’s the open age version of the tac ( or whatever it’s called ) that has its paws in various differing pies .

Repeating .

You bang on a lot about participation and getting more juniors to filter through to seniors that aren’t in the top 5 players of their team. (Which I agree is important). So I’m not sure 1-2 guys from a club trying their luck in the vfl and trying to make themselves a better player is the issue based on what you have previously stated.

You bang on a lot about participation and getting more juniors to filter through to seniors that aren’t in the top 5 players of their team. (Which I agree is important). So I’m not sure 1-2 guys from a club trying their luck in the vfl and trying to make themselves a better player is the issue based on what you have previously stated.
Don’t understand what you are saying .

I strongly advocate for participation in community footy ✅
I also strongly advocate for greater transition into senior footy to increase numbers playing senior footy ✅
I don’t advocate taking the best players ( the marquee players) out of community footy merely to make up the numbers for a talent identification competition .

Out of interest how many clubs have won flags in the last 20-30 years with ex AFL coaches ? Bringing coaches to the country works .

I also strongly advocate for greater transition into senior footy to increase numbers playing senior footy ✅
I don’t advocate taking the best players ( the marquee players) out of community footy merely to make up the numbers for a talent identification competition .

Out of interest how many clubs have won flags in the last 20-30 years with ex AFL coaches ? Bringing coaches to the country works .
Sorry should have been clearer. That not just the top 5 players from under 18s filter through and play senior footy.

Not GV related but thought you blokes would like to read this, I would be bloody dirty as a Yarrawonga member/player!!

Huge news out of the SS&A Ovens and Murray |

AFL North East Border (AFL NEB) confirms that Wangaratta Magpies Football Netball Club have been found guilty and penalised for breaching the 2022 Allowable Player Payment Cap, following an AFL NEB Disciplinary Committee hearing on Thursday night.

The Ovens & Murray Football Netball League club faced three charges under AFL Victoria’s Allowable Player Payment (APP) Rules, for failing to lodge player declarations or non-declared player statements correctly and exceeded the 2022 APP cap of $125,000.

For exceeding the cap, the club has been given the following sanctions:
• A fine of $28,000
• The men’s senior team will be ineligible to receive premiership match points for the first two home-and-away games of the 2023 season
• The men’s senior team have had their Total Team Points reduced for the entire 2023 season to 36, a reduction of four

Reprimands were given for the other charges.

The hearing was conducted by an independent panel appointed by the AFL NEB Commission following an integrity review of the club’s 2022 Allowable Player Payments. Based on the evidence of the review, the region charged the club in March and referred the matter to the disciplinary committee.

Anomalies in the club’s reporting had identified several issues in the management of player payments, including the over payments.

AFL NEB acknowledges that the Wangaratta Magpies FNC has also self-reported the overpayments which has resulted in the club exceeding the cap once the error had been identified and has cooperated with the Integrity Officer in the conduct of the review.

As a region, AFL NEB is committed to the integrity of the Allowable Player Payments Rules and has undertaken over 20 integrity reviews in recent years on clubs from across regional leagues. These reviews have supplemented the random internal compliance reviews of clubs conducted by AFL NEB to ensure lodgements of documents within timeframes are being adhered to.

AFL NEB, with support from AFL Victoria, will continue the practice of compliance and integrity reviews throughout 2023 and clubs can expect to be selected for the reviews. Region-based training seminars have been conducted to support clubs in the management of the Player Payments and Player Points rules to mitigate the risks associated with non-compliance and cap breaches.

The club has until the end of September to pay the fine, with funds to be put towards initiatives to support clubs including education around the salary cap and points system.

If a good young player in the Kyabram league wants to test themselves at a higher standard of football they can go to the GV league. Where do you suggest the good young players in the GV go to test themselves at a higher standard.

Not GV related but thought you blokes would like to read this, I would be bloody dirty as a Yarrawonga member/player!!

AFL North East Border (AFL NEB) confirms that Wangaratta Magpies Football Netball Club have been found guilty and penalised for breaching the 2022 Allowable Player Payment Cap, following an AFL NEB Disciplinary Committee hearing on Thursday night.

The Ovens & Murray Football Netball League club faced three charges under AFL Victoria’s Allowable Player Payment (APP) Rules, for failing to lodge player declarations or non-declared player statements correctly and exceeded the 2022 APP cap of $125,000.

• A fine of $28,000
• The men’s senior team will be ineligible to receive premiership match points for the first two home-and-away games of the 2023 season
• The men’s senior team have had their Total Team Points reduced for the entire 2023 season to 36, a reduction of four

The hearing was conducted by an independent panel appointed by the AFL NEB Commission following an integrity review of the club’s 2022 Allowable Player Payments. Based on the evidence of the review, the region charged the club in March and referred the matter to the disciplinary committee.

Anomalies in the club’s reporting had identified several issues in the management of player payments, including the over payments.

AFL NEB acknowledges that the Wangaratta Magpies FNC has also self-reported the overpayments which has resulted in the club exceeding the cap once the error had been identified and has cooperated with the Integrity Officer in the conduct of the review.

As a region, AFL NEB is committed to the integrity of the Allowable Player Payments Rules and has undertaken over 20 integrity reviews in recent years on clubs from across regional leagues. These reviews have supplemented the random internal compliance reviews of clubs conducted by AFL NEB to ensure lodgements of documents within timeframes are being adhered to.

AFL NEB, with support from AFL Victoria, will continue the practice of compliance and integrity reviews throughout 2023 and clubs can expect to be selected for the reviews. Region-based training seminars have been conducted to support clubs in the management of the Player Payments and Player Points rules to mitigate the risks associated with non-compliance and cap breaches.

The club has until the end of September to pay the fine, with funds to be put towards initiatives to support clubs including education around the salary cap and points system.
Head over the the ovens and Murray thread,tennis fan is giving Wang Maggie's hell on there.

Brings me to my question, if that happened in the gv, what would be fair punishment? Should we expect the same penalty, or should it be much harsher?

Head over the the ovens and Murray thread,tennis fan is giving Wang Maggie's hell on there.

Brings me to my question, if that happened in the gv, what would be fair punishment? Should we expect the same penalty, or should it be much harsher?

Depends on what the crime is.

If it’s going overs cause the cost of flights rose 75% from Alice Springs, from Preseason to Finals
or
cause 100k of building materials magically landed at your new block very early one Monday morning before the tradies got there I think the penalty should vary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• A fine of $28,000

Don’t think Yarrawonga would say to much .
6F6C0AF4-B339-41A3-B248-B95A9A0F4392.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back