Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's one for the brains trust...

Has the covid job losses and financial pressures put an emphasis on most middle aged males taking every dollar they can get working there primary job, over playing country football with a rather large risk of getting hurt and not being able to earn said income?

This I think, would be the main cause of sides struggling for numbers. Thoughts?

Hows this for Seymours line up when they won in 81/82? Russell Richards, Tony Barnes, Robert, Glenn and Bruce Elliott and Robert Walters all ex AFL or future AFL players.
The Elliott boys were all from up Thornton Eildon way and played a fair bit of footy for ‘the boners’ and Alexandra too. Great fellows and could all play. Russell ‘rhino’ Richards was a star too. Tough is an understatement.

Gee jayc there is so many just Tatura alone Antrobus / Ty Esler / 2 Warburtons / Merritt / Loveless/ Houlihan / Thorpe/ Danny Stevens / Jetta / Murphy / ect ect
Would it be fair to say Tatura and Echuca have recruited the most vfl-/ afl players ?
Big Ty Esler. What a character & could certainly drink. Played some bloody good footy for Tatura whilst being well under prepared in numerous instances. Footy has certainly changed and the absence of characters like him are few and far between at times.

Last edited:
Here's one for the brains trust...

Has the covid job losses and financial pressures put an emphasis on most middle aged males taking every dollar they can get working there primary job, over playing country football with a rather large risk of getting hurt and not being able to earn said income?

This I think, would be the main cause of sides struggling for numbers. Thoughts?
100% its a huge factor.The good old 5 day working week with weekends off have sailed.Many u18s have stopped playing footy to earn some $$on a Saturday.House prices have exploded last 10 years and now interest rates have iced the cake.Lots of Young men trying to set up a future with house and family are walking away from the game due this and risk of injury.I don’t have answers but Country and metro footy is in big strife with plenty of pain to come.Fortunately I think the Gv will always be but lots of other comps will be disbanded.

2000 GV granny United went in warm favourites against Shepp with 3 Sandringham guns you named 2 of them can’t remember the other But Shepp coached by lambourne and with the likes of Ash / Byers / Ahmet /Wells / Guthrie / Bovalino / Mellington / spoilt their big day in an epic granny
Greg Reynaldson coached SU
Ash simply put his teammates on his shoulders that day and said follow my lead and that they did.One of the best individual games along with courage I have seen.

Last edited:
Amazing times and pulled people through the gates. Won't happen again under current jurisdictions.
Wacko Jacko having his cup of tea or big Shane loveless giving the local girls an eye full . Was rarely a dull moment.
And there was those who had played at the top level and shun the spotlight , like Justin Pickering . Iirc was in the Vic state of origin squad only 2-3 years before he was running around for Seymour still at a relatively young age

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep.. Tat by the length of the straight during their spending years. Granted Echuca have had a few but Tat was doing it for fun for a while there
Tats 92 team, I think, had Dax, Antrobus, Lawrie and Robertson with V/AFL experience... and Thorpe who would go on and get drafted 12-18months later.
Unfortunately we won't see that again

Wacko Jacko having his cup of tea or big Shane loveless giving the local girls an eye full . Was rarely a dull moment.
And there was those who had played at the top level and shun the spotlight , like Justin Pickering . Iirc was in the Vic state of origin squad only 2-3 years before he was running around for Seymour still at a relatively young age
There was a connection with the Lions as he father coached them in the 60's I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back