Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Read this in the Footy and Netball magazine that came out today in the Shepp News etc.

Interesting story of the year prediction.

c5ada6aa77edbb49414db052d544f504.jpg

Amazing that Yea has a population of approximately 1500 but can’t field a senior team, yet Longwood has a recorded population of about 260 but can manage to hang in there.
As always there are multiple factors at play. I’d be interested to know the demographic of a place like Yea. Suspect there could be reasons in that which may not be at play in place like Longwood. Having said that, Longwood have been surviving for a long time but clearly have been burning the candle at both ends for years making sure they keep the doors open. Certainly not been easy.
The number of clubs closing their doors and/or going into recess is alarming and I don’t think I’ve heard a a solution that works for everyone. What does seem obvious is that more and more clubs are going to face this in coming years.

Amazing that Yea has a population of approximately 1500 but can’t field a senior team, yet Longwood has a recorded population of about 260 but can manage to hang in there.

Longwood amd Yea are very different places but also Longwood as you say has just been hanging in. Hopefully they turn the corner this season

This is the biggest issue facing Tatura in the next few years. Said it before, unless they get the junior part of the club right they will struggle to stay in the GV.
They have a bigger population than Euroa and Rochester,50 kids running around in AUS kick, u14s in a grandfinal last year, I think they will be OK.

They have a bigger population than Euroa and Rochester,50 kids running around in AUS kick, u14s in a grandfinal last year, I think they will be OK.
They keep not having 3rds, it massive issues for the club for the last 10 years, I've harped on it to death, it's the most important part of the club to try get right

They keep not having 3rds, it massive issues for the club for the last 10 years, I've harped on it to death, it's the most important part of the club to try get right

It’s been said before. But having U16 comps that aren’t linked to clubs is killing junior footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they have been a very successful club over the journey and only winning 1 u18 flag in the 60s , what's your point.
I think that is the point. Smaller townships have forever struggled in under 18's. Tatura and Euroa have not won a Flag at that level in 40 years. Rochester gave won one! And lost a couple. Euroa are flying at the moment and good luck to them Tatura are not.

The last few pages suggest Tatura's attitude of loading up on Metro/VFL players every few years and being successful was successful in the 90's/00's It was great to watch but they currently cannot do that with points in play. (Salary caps are irrelevant based upon what i read in multiple comps) Teams cheat the salary cap.

Tats 92 team, I think, had Dax, Antrobus, Lawrie and Robertson with V/AFL experience... and Thorpe who would go on and get drafted 12-18months later.
Unfortunately we won't see that again
That '92 season was awesome Jayco. Rochy had Williams (just out of AFL) Jamie Duursma, Dean Duursma and Matt Febey (who didn't play the GF).

I’ll put you under the pump tongue
Your best ever top 3 players from your beloved Rochester
Too hard. Depends upon eras Swoop.
Late 70'-80's when we were mostly poor then Ron Haring, Mick Keenan, Peter Fuller.

After Vander Veer took over in '89 there were heaps. To answer your question from my perspective: Dirty Williams, Tank Mcphee and Rob Miller.

Apologies to Watson, Aitken, Rasmussen(s) Morgan, Oliver(s), S. McCarty et.al.

Last edited:
Late 70'-80's when we were mostly poor then Ron Haring, Mick Keenan, Peter Fuller.

After Vander Veer took over in '89 there were heaps. To answer your question from my perspective: Dirty Williams, Tank Mcphee and Rob Miller.

Yeah very good mate there’s been so many for me Robbie Miller /Dirfy Williams / Toot Morgan

I think they have been a very successful club over the journey and only winning 1 u18 flag in the 60s , what's your point.
Yep you don't need to win flags in juniors but you need a system in place to promote your juniors to be good senior players is the key, you can't do that without a side at all. Even when they won flags and recruited strongly they had good locals in the team

A familiar name, ex-North?

Remove this Banner Ad

Goulburn Valley FL 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back